Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
WorldCon 09 MR Contingent

So, okay, I've been thinking. For about three seconds, actually, but still...
The Apero meeting that ZP put together in Paris is a great idea, but what do you do in Paris after meeting for drinks with the MR crowd? Not much is the answer.

However: Most of us read SF and Fantasy. Almost all of us are geeks (You know who you are, missy!) And what is more geeky and SFF-y that a World Science Fiction Convention? That's right -- nothing!

Next year in Montreal (http://www.anticipationsf.ca/) is Anticipation, WorldCon # 67. Too late for Denvention, 6 Aug 08, but let's start planning on a Contingent of MR-ers to have the:

First Somewhat Annual World Science Fiction Convention Meeting of the Ministry of Unutterable Silliness and Attendant MobileRead Members Who Think That All of That MUS Stuff Is, Well, Silly (FSAWSFCMMUSAMRMWTTATMSIWS) descent on WorldCon.

Get your reservations now, since I'm sure this will cause a stampede for the membership room.

If I can figure out how to create a Social Group, I will. Otherwise I'll whine and look pitiful until Neko does it for me.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey, brilliant idea !! you show all those other worldconners what's what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
However: Most of us read SF and Fantasy. Almost all of us are geeks (You know who you are, missy!)
listen, they've revoked my card. i'm sorry. i've been reading pratchett though so hopefully i'll get some kind of probationary card back soon.

i doubt that will be official enough to allow me to join you at the World Science Fiction Convention though ; that sounds like a realm of EXTREME geekitude to me. i'll probably need a few more years of intensive training before getting that far.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
August 6-10, 2009

It's do-able. Now tell me, what goes on at Worldcon?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hey, brilliant idea !! you show all those other worldconners what's what.

listen, they've revoked my card. i'm sorry. i've been reading pratchett though so hopefully i'll get some kind of probationary card back soon.

i doubt that will be official enough to allow me to join you at the World Science Fiction Convention though ; that sounds like a realm of EXTREME geekitude to me. i'll probably need a few more years of intensive training before getting that far.
We'd let you in on a Probationary Status jsut because we can't be without the Queen.

In fact, the Queen of Geeks is probably not that geeky. Cref: King of Beggers in Discworld.

So, c'mon over the pond! You've got an entire year to plan, as opposed to the week you gave us for the Apero.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
August 6-10, 2009

I have a habit of going to Worldcons so I will be there if nothing unforseen happens.

What I like with Worldcons is that so many authors and other professionals are there so the panels are usually very interesting. The dealers room is usually also big and fun. The evenings are usually spent going round to different parties. Since I like panels I usually miss all the other things you can do.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
pshrynk

How to describe a WorldCon?

Think of being a strange, introverted, book-loving, SF and Fantasy reading teenager. Think of how much you wanted to have friends who understood wha the fark you were talking about when you got excited about learning orbital mechanics. Think of the wish you once had to be in a group of people who could recite passages from LOTR my heart and were not at all appalled by the fact that you like Middle Earth a LOT more than the real one.

WorldCon is not like that. But, you can meet authors face to face. I once had Robert Silverberg ask to use my program to help him find the panel he was supposed to be at. I had supper with Rob Sawyer, Lois McMaster Bujold, David Gerrold, and their spouses, all because I offered to take Rob to dinner. He took me up on the offer, and then asked me if it was okay that we joined the rest of them. Sure, I said, but they better be interesting. But I digress. I have sat at the table with Terry Pratchett and was nearly killed when he threw out the new miniatures that he'd just been given and said, "Here have some." I still have The Luggage. I once follwed a guy who had a badge that said, "As a matter of fact, I am arocket scientist into a panel and heard about the conception of the replacement for the shuttles before the press release came out. I got to touch one of the props used in Starship Troopers (a dead bug.)

But mostly, I have had a rousing good time with friends whom I have made through the years on-line who get together for these things so they can manage to meet actual real people. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on if you are a booknerd.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
WorldCon is not like that.

Whew! When I started reading this, I thought, "Nope, not for me at all!" You scared me - I envisioned people walking around in hobbit outfits or something.

Oh, and drop a few names, why dont'cha?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Whew! When I started reading this, I thought, "Nope, not for me at all!" You scared me - I envisioned people walking around in hobbit outfits or something.

No, that is DragonCon. If you ever want to see a costume consisting only of latex paint, go to DragonCon. Seriously.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No, that is DragonCon. If you ever want to see a costume consisting only of latex paint, go to DragonCon. Seriously.
LOL! Thanks for the warning!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
be sure to take photos !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
So, okay, I've been thinking. For about three seconds, actually, but still...
The Apero meeting that ZP put together in Paris is a great idea, but what do you do in Paris after meeting for drinks with the MR crowd? Not much is the answer.

However: Most of us read SF and Fantasy. Almost all of us are geeks (You know who you are, missy!) And what is more geeky and SFF-y that a World Science Fiction Convention? That's right -- nothing!

Next year in Montreal (http://www.anticipationsf.ca/) is Anticipation, WorldCon # 67. Too late for Denvention, 6 Aug 08, but let's start planning on a Contingent of MR-ers to have the:
I hope to make it. I was planning to be at Denvention, and had memberships, hotel room, and plane tickets, but circumstances forced me to cancel.

Transferred the hotel room to another con goer, and resold the memberships, but alas, the plane tickets are non-refundable. (The SO said "That'll teach me to pay the extra $10 next time for refundable tickets. Er, yes...)

I've been involved in these things for many years, and often as not am one of the folks helping to run them.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
August 6-10, 2009

The same thing that goes on at most other SF cons.

There are two general types of cons, that tend to get conflated by folks who don't know better. One type is the media con, oriented toward TV, Films, and the like. These tend to be commercial, for profit operations. They pay an assortment of actors and actresses from genre shows to appear, and fans fork over substantial amounts of cash to attend and meet them. Star Trek cons are the prototypical example.

The second type is what is referred to here. SF cons in this context are literary conventions, oriented around books (though normally with programming covering SF and fantasy in other forms as well.) They are non-profit operations, organized and run by local fan groups under 501(c)(3) tax exempt status, and managed by unpaid volunteers. There are local conventions held once a year in most large cities, such as Arisia and Boskone in Boston, Lunacon in New York, Balticon in Baltimore, and CapClave in DC. The very first such con happened in the early '30s, when a group of New York City fans took the train down from NYC to Philadelphia, to meet with a Philadelphia fan group. The first WorldCon was held in NYC in 1939. People who were active back then are entitled to membership in First Fandom, which requires activity in SF fandom in 1938. A few such folks are still around, including Dave Kyle and Frederick Pohl.

They normally have Writer, Artist, and Fan Guests of Honor (whose travel, hotel, and expenses are paid by the con, but who do not get a speaker's fee), as well as a variety of other professional guests, including writers, artists, editors, agents, and other folks connected with the field.

Activities include speeches, panel discussions, workshops, autograph sessions and kaffeeklatsches. Cons generally also have an Art show and a Dealer's Room, and may have a Masquerade, film program, Anime, and other activities. Oh, yes. And parties...

The WorldCon travels around. Fan groups in particular areas will decide they'd like to host one and bid for the privilege, promoting their effort at other cons. The winning bid is selected by the members of the WorldCon two years prior to the one being bid for. Putting one of these things on is an extensive undertaking. People who want to do it typically start planning and promoting their bid 7 years or more in advance.

The WorldCon attracts between 5,000 and 8,000 attendees these days, and the last I knew it was the second largest volunteer run convention in the world. (The largest was the Pittsburgh Conference, a specialty laboratory sciences convention, attracting about 25,000.)

Think of a con as a weekend long party for several hundred or several thousand of your closest friends, and you'll have the idea.
______
Dennis
Old 07-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
pshrynk

Quote:

Hey, I met them, I'm dropping their names.

Actually, to a fan-boy like me, getting to meet the authors face to face has been the biggest thrill. Actually have an author know me by seeing me in the hall and yelling out my name (Rob Sawyer) was a peak experience.

And Lois McMaster Bujold actually laughed at my unutterably silly jokes.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
WorldCon is not like that. But, you can meet authors face to face. I once had Robert Silverberg ask to use my program to help him find the panel he was supposed to be at. I had supper with Rob Sawyer, Lois McMaster Bujold, David Gerrold, and their spouses, all because I offered to take Rob to dinner. He took me up on the offer, and then asked me if it was okay that we joined the rest of them. Sure, I said, but they better be interesting. But I digress. I have sat at the table with Terry Pratchett and was nearly killed when he threw out the new miniatures that he'd just been given and said, "Here have some." I still have The Luggage.
Terry is a supremely nice guy as well as a splendid author.

But the key fact is that most pros who attend SF cons are nice people, and quite approachable. I know a number, and my first order of business at any Worldcon is sussing out which will be the default bar for the con, because that's where I'll find everyone I know.

(Torcon III was the Horrible Example: every time I thought I should leave the bar to actually see the con, someone I knew would come in saying "Oh, Dennis! You're here! Let's have a drink!" If you took a blood sample at the end it would have had a proof content...)

Quote:
I once followed a guy who had a badge that said, "As a matter of fact, I am arocket scientist into a panel and heard about the conception of the replacement for the shuttles before the press release came out.
That was Jordan Kare. He's also an active filker. His wife Marykaye is a prominent con runner.
______
Dennis
Old 07-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Hey, I met them, I'm dropping their names.
Count yourself lucky. I have a book inscribed "To a fellow survivor", signed for me by a GoH at a con. We had an ex in common...
______
Dennis