Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by errata View Post
...but since this problem seems to be somewhat widespread, please keep us posted if you get a response from ectaco.
How is it "somewhat widespread"? Not judging from comments in the jetBook forum here or reviews at Newegg.com at any rate. I for one have not seen any kind of flicker at any time on my two JBLs. I have been using them in tropical temperatures usually between 70 and 90 degrees F, generally on the second largest font size and old cheapo rechargeable batteries from Energizer and Powerex. IMO the flicker sounds like a defective device so should be returned for a replacement or refund, not tolerated.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
errata
errata began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
How is it "somewhat widespread"? Not judging from comments in the jetBook forum here or reviews at Newegg.com at any rate.

Ummm, duh, judging by the comments on THIS thread.

"Somewhat widespread", in other words, not isolated, not happening simply to one person, indicative of more than a simply one-time manufacturing defect.

And how is it a smear campaign if the device is exhibiting a problem that is happening to several people? Just because YOU are not having a problem means perhaps you should go read some other thread. It does not mean there is not a problem.

It IS happening to mine and obviously other people are seeing the same thing. I am simply wondering if someone else has received a response from ectaco about what the problem is before I send mine back.

Last edited by errata; 05-05-2010 at 04:23 PM.
errata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #18
novel
novel began at the beginning.

Here is a quick 5 minute raw video I've made of the JBL and hopefully my problem is seen somewhat. The effect is more subtle in the video because of my poor cam quality but I'll try a zoomed in version next time:

Link to vid. View in 480p
novel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Maybe it's my old eyes, but what little I saw is much less of a distraction than there
is in turning a page and refocusing on the new page, of a paper book.

It is something I would learn to ignore without even noting that it was there.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
camgee
camgee began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
It's very difficult to just ignore it. However I do find that if i tilt the screen at a slightly different angle it mostly or completely goes away. I am of the opinion that it is likely a limited manufacturing defect and will eventually while in warranty send it back for a replacement - its just hard to give it up when there are books I want to read. I have since getting my JBL ordered one for my daughters birthday and one for Mother's day for my wife so it's safe to say that I pretty much love it. The only thing I might consider replacing it with eventually is the possibly forthcoming Android based tablet "notion ink" because it is both a full color tablet and a non back lit reflective lcd. It has two different modes. The larger screen on it and the fact that as an android tablet there are several reader programs it can run make it a very intriguing option. It won't however be out till at least the fall... So JBL all the way till then - jumpy font and all.
camgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #21
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by novel View Post
Here is a quick 5 minute raw video I've made of the JBL and hopefully my problem is seen somewhat. The effect is more subtle in the video because of my poor cam quality but I'll try a zoomed in version next time:

Link to vid. View in 480p
No need. I believe you. I have noticed this about once or twice, and I have been watching for it. I haven't been able to figure out the correct condition for this to happen. I honestly can't think of anything physical that would consistently produce the flicker. And the flicker, on my device at least, doesn't stay on for long. It goes away pretty quickly.

I'll post updates about this.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by novel View Post
Here is a quick 5 minute raw video I've made of the JBL and hopefully my problem is seen somewhat.
Earlier you made it sound as if the firmware update fixed this. I take it in the end that the firmware update did not fix the flicker.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
errata
errata began at the beginning.

correct for me. The 0.15d-b firmware did not eliminate the flicker.
errata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #24
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Just tossing out an idea here:

Are either of you, that are experiencing this issue, by chance, sitting around reading with an active cell phone in a pocket with wireless or bluetooth activated?

I use various gadgets and find that sometimes a cell signal from tower to phone, or wireless, or bluetooth might interfere with an LCD/speakers/etc.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
camgee
camgee began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
The cellphone possibility is a very interesting theory. I'll try to test it. I can't say for sure that my phone was on me every time it happened but it is a possibility.
camgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #26
theologic
theologic began at the beginning.

It looks like some people, like myself, have a problem with flicker. I'm going to try and contact the Ectaco Support people and do a return, because it has been more than 30 day purchase from Newegg. I'll try and keep everybody informed of the process and the turn around time....
theologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camgee View Post
The cellphone possibility is a very interesting theory. I'll try to test it. I can't say for sure that my phone was on me every time it happened but it is a possibility.
Well, that was my first thought, so it was the first possible reason I checked. The flicker happens no matter how near or far from mobile phone my Jetbook is. On the other hand, there are many other radio interferences possible, from FM radio to WiFi networks and to pinpoint the frequency that causes interference would require lab equipment.

There's, however, one more possibility. I remember when I had an old Handspring PDA, there was a tiny program (actually Handspring's own patch) which adjusted the LCD refresh rate. Without this program my PDA had a terrible flicker under fluorescent light of any kind; after applying this patch, the flicker was gone. The screen on Handspring Visors was of nearly exactly the same type as Jetbook's, which makes me think that, after all, this might be a firmware issue (like screen refresh rate), and not necessarily a hardware problem.

Last edited by macminer; 05-08-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typos corrected
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #28
novel
novel began at the beginning.

I've posted a zoomed in vid that might better clarify the flicker. I've had the flicker happen everywhere, even without electronics nearby(unless I'm perhaps a robot) and in various light sources. I'm hoping that I'll be able to receive an answer from tech support after I write them a letter with the following video attached.

I really enjoy the JBL and hope I can either just replace the hardware or have it fixed in the software. Everyone who I've showed the JBL to likes it as well

Video:
Spoiler:
novel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #29
grndslm
Enthusiast
grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: none
Yea, that looks pretty weird. Looks like the text is quivering every once in awhile, like it's afraid.

I'm kinda concerned, because I want to read with the smallest font possible, also.

At the same time... the contrast looked so good, that I just might have to try to see if I get a dud myself. Hmm...
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #30
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
So how common is this problem? Maybe we should do some kind of unofficial survey here? Like, everyone with a JBL who's reading this, post a reply stating whether or not you've had this flickering problem (even if occasional). Try to stick to the conditions that the OP mentioned (using one of the 2 or 3 smaller sizes, etc.).

At least that will tell us whether this is a common defect or just a couple of people with bad luck. If, for example, only 3 or 4 out of 20 have it then it's not a worry. But if, say, 9 out of 15 have it, then it's something worth discussing.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote