Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Gerry
Enthusiast
Gerry began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Why the Print Industry Should Subsidize the Kindle

An interesting article from todays Ad Age stating "Amazon Device Could Be White Knight for Newspapers and Magazines"

http://adage.com/article?article_id=135284
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Subscriptions to magazines and newspapers using hardware readers are being used in Europe. I am not sure Amazon would relinquish control to allow this use in the US. They seem to be pushing their own subscription capability but to allow someone else to distribute their product seems to be a problem for them. They seem to be control freaks. I do think this could work but I am not sure Amazon is the correct vehicle. Note that 16 level gray scale is, I believe an requirement for magazines and even good newspaper coverage. Pictures are a must IHMO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
So more like the iRex DR and their Press Reader service.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
All the newspaper and magazine efforts seem to be focusing on devices with screens larger than 6". Newspapers and magazines typically have a larger page size than a book, so this makes sense except for the cost of a larger screen. An iLiad-like device (8", 16 grey scales) is the bottom end, but 9.7" 16 grey scales may be the sweet spot. Magazines would like color too, but you can't have everything.

The focus on larger screens may be a mistake. The smaller screens might work ok if the publishers could get the layout (navigation etcetera) right. The Kindle 2 is pioneering this approach (improving on the K1). This would also allow devices like the iPhone to come into play.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
" I am not sure Amazon is the correct vehicle. Note that 16 level gray scale is, I believe an requirement for magazines and even good newspaper coverage. Pictures are a must IHMO."

Kindle 2 does have 16 levels of grayscale, and newspapers and magazines do publish pictures on it. Actually, they did so on Kindle 1 (4 levels), but the pictures didn't look as good.
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert