Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
widuvarg
widuvarg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
PDF's not completely displayed

I've had my PRS-650 for a few years now, and I really enjoy it. I do have a problem with it, and not surprisingly it's with PDF files. About a third of all PDF files i've tried have this problem.

Some PDF books I have turn white after a few pages. One book I have is displaying pages 1 to 18 perfectly, and then there are only white pages. At the start of the next chapter (say, on page 35), the text returns. But again, only about half of the pages of that chapter are displayed, and the other half are white pages.

Other books aren't displayed at all, instead the page nr. bar states that it only has one page.

What could be the cause of this problem? The files are displayed correctly on my laptop, and there are no visible differences between the displayed pages and those that are not.

Edit: I've already updated the firmware, to no avail.

Edit 2: An acceptable workaround is converting the files from pdf to prc with mobipocket creator, and then to epub with calibre. This solves the above problem, and epub is always easier to read than a pdf. But still, if anyone knows why this happens and how to solve it, please tell.

Last edited by widuvarg; 01-15-2013 at 11:56 AM.
widuvarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I have this issue with my PRS-T1 also. If I were to hazard a guess I would think maybe it's because the file is written using a later version of Acrobat. I know that at work some pdfs won't work properly unless the computer is updated to Acrobat XI.

I don't know that there is any solution other than converting it to an epub.

Last edited by luvduchovny; 01-15-2013 at 04:57 PM.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
The root of the problem is that pdf is a graphical format and some pdf documents are just a series of graphic images with little or no actual text depending on how the original scan was done, this creates problems displaying on some readers that do not have a native adobe app built in.. personally I always try and avoid pdfs and convert any pdfs I do get as already suggested
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
The root of the problem is that pdf is a graphical format and some pdf documents are just a series of graphic images with little or no actual text depending on how the original scan was done, this creates problems displaying on some readers that do not have a native adobe app built in.. personally I always try and avoid pdfs and convert any pdfs I do get as already suggested
PDF is not a graphical format although it can handle graphics and images, it is a layout format that was originally aimed at producing files for print output with a strong emphasis on precise typographical layout.

A number of recent PDFs don't display because the format has been changed and earlier implementations can't handle some of the latest files... I've had similar problems with some PDFs but they always open with the latest version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat... Not much help when trying to use a firmware implementation of an earlier version of the software but equally conversion can solve it as can saving from Acrobat to an earlier format.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
widuvarg
widuvarg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Luckily, most of the PDF's that have this problem are easily converted to epub. Using Mobipocket Creator seems to be better for images in the text, but I can't say for sure. Anyways, it's not a big hassle, and converting actually improves readability.

Thanks for your explanations!
widuvarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Pdf is not a graphical format and the 650 has adobe built-in
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
A number of recent PDFs don't display because the format has been changed and earlier implementations can't handle some of the latest files... ... saving from Acrobat to an earlier format.
I didn't know that. Sounds like saving to an older format will fix it. conversion is okay, but it can involve a lot of work fixing poor formatting.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote