Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #76
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Does not look like a fair comparison to me, considering it includes a complete office suite.

I really like that thread. Hope that I can convince my department to get me a win 8 pro tablet (currently preferred: Samsung Ativ Pro) to run all the company legacy software, but even the "simpler" win 8 RT sounds good.

Best regards, Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #77
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Hope that I can convince my department to get me a win 8 pro tablet (currently preferred: Samsung Ativ Pro) to run all the company legacy software, but even the "simpler" win 8 RT sounds good.
I'm keeping an eye on Lenovo and Asus.
They're going with the new Atom package instead of the Core i5 MS is using in the Surface Pro. That should let them run closer to $600 than $1000.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #78
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
RT taking up 18gb is crazy it's meant to be a simple mobile OS, I really wouldn't want to be downloading updates of that size regardless of it having a Micro Sd slot.
RT does not take up 18 GB. The OS and the 10 or 12 apps(including Word, Excel, Power Point and One Note) plus the 5gb partition take up 16Gb. The same priced iPad for example has only 13Gb left before loading up iWorks. It doesn't have expandable memory. So with the same priced model you actually start out with MORE space with Surface than iPad BEFORE even talking about expansion.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 11-05-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #79
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
RT does not take up 18 GB. The OS and the 10 or 12 apps(including Word, Excel, Power Point and One Note) plus the 5gb partition take up 16Gb. The same priced iPad for example has only 13Gb left before loading up iWorks. It doesn't have expandable memory. So with the same priced model you actually start out with MORE space with Surface than iPad BEFORE even talking about expansion.
Your wrong while it takes up 16gb on the 32gb tablet it does takes up 18gb on the 64gb tablet as has been reported on numerous tech sites.

here is one to get you started

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/11/win...faces-storage/
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #80
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
actually when you read the article and the link to the Engadget article with the table included it clearly states that Windows Rt, Office and the other natives apps take 8 GB.

there is the same 5GB amount of partition for both configurations.

the difference in space reported by file explorer probably is due to conversion rounding because none of the numbers involved are exactly whole GBs.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #81
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
It is excessive, no doubt. But we just have established that you could get an additional 5GB, if you wanted, by deleting the restore partition.
Have we?
Are there instructions from Microsoft on how to do that?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #82
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Have we?
Are there instructions from Microsoft on how to do that?
I did it on my Windows 7 PC -- the file system works just the same in RT. You could even delete Office to even up the score compared to iOS and Android, not that anyone would do that.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #83
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I did it on my Windows 7 PC -- the file system works just the same in RT.
But again, that doesn't mean that you could do it on the Surface RT, or that if you did, you would have any other way to restore the Tablet. (With no DVD drive to insert recovery media.)
We know that the recovery partition takes up 5GB. We don't know that that 5GB can be reclaimed, and we don't know it could be done safely.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #84
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
But again, that doesn't mean that you could do it on the Surface RT, or that if you did, you would have any other way to restore the Tablet. (With no DVD drive to insert recovery media.)
We know that the recovery partition takes up 5GB. We don't know that that 5GB can be reclaimed, and we don't know it could be done safely.
You could restore from the expansion card. You are right, we can only be 99% sure at this moment, though I would venture a bet that it is possible.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #85
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I did it on my Windows 7 PC -- the file system works just the same in RT. You could even delete Office to even up the score compared to iOS and Android, not that anyone would do that.
I'm not so sure, that you easily can delete pre-installed programs.
When switching to the desktop and the "program" options, there's nothing listed under "installed programs".
So at least a simple "uninstall" as we know from former Windows versions won't work.
Of course you could delete the files and forders manually - if you find them all...

Doesn't matter for myself, I wouldn't uninstall the few pre-installed apps anyway.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #86
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Type cover vs. touch cover

I've got the type cover this morning.
I've used the 50 Euro gift certificate from Microsoft (due to the slight delays in shipment) on it.
I've ordered it, because the touch cover didn't work perfectly for me. That's my own fault, I'm not using the covers as advertised.
I barely put my gadgets on the table or any other flat surface.
Would I want to do that, I could use my MacBook Air.
Normally, I hold tablets in my hands and when typing, I put the Microsoft Surface RT on my knees or even the backrest of my sofa.
No flat surface, so the touch cover (being less rigid/stiff than the type cover) kind of "wobbles" around a bit.
So I wanted to have the more rigid type cover.
It's exactly as expected.
Slightly thicker, from the outside identical to the touch cover, way more rigid.
I didn't mind the missing pressure point of the touch cover, but you certainly can type faster and more accurately on the type cover.
Still, both covers are a stroke of genius, haven't seen anything similar yet on any other tablet.
I've got a great bluetooth keyboard for the iPhone 4S, snapping directly to the back of the iPhone and even working as a spare battery.
But for the iPad, I haven't found a satisfying solution. Due to the position of the dock connector, you'd have to dock a keyboard in portrait format - not very efficient...

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-06-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #87
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
MgMueller,

we are using a Kensington Bluetooth Keyboard for the iPad for our business users. It's a kind of leather portfolio holding the ipad in landscape mode with a rubber keyboard at the bottom. Typing experience is so so, and it sometimes does not easily connect, but some people do like it.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #88
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
MgMueller,

we are using a Kensington Bluetooth Keyboard for the iPad for our business users. It's a kind of leather portfolio holding the ipad in landscape mode with a rubber keyboard at the bottom. Typing experience is so so, and it sometimes does not easily connect, but some people do like it.

Best regards,
Andy
I've seen that solution (or similar ones).
I don't like it though.
First of all, I'm not a fan of bluetooth.
I accept it for the iPhone 4S cover/battery pack. It slides out, similar to a BlackBerry - convenient enough.
But I only accept the additional bulk in combination with the spare battery (basically, it's a battery pack with integrated keyboard).
Still, I'd rather have a physical connection via dock connector instead of bluetooth.
Bluetooth simply consumes energy, which already is critical all the time when on the road (not so much on iPad, but for iPhone definitely a problem).
And it takes a second or 2 when re-connecting.

There is (or at least was) a keyboard from (or at least via) Apple for iPad.
Physically connecting to the dock. But, like I said: The dock connector on iPad is in portrait orientation, which in my opinion is too narrow for typing longer text passages.

Here both keyboards from Microsoft really shine.
If only they had included Outlook! Way more important for me then Word...

Perfect for me:
In the beginning, I've bought tons of covers for all tablets and readers. The original ones from the manufacturers and often 3rd party ones (didn't like the original cover for iPad 1 for example).
But after some time, I found the covers annoying. They add bulk and somehow they all are in the way when holding the tablets/readers.
So I buy the Simon Pike sleeves now.
You can have them for more or less all gadgets, so there's some consistency.
They offer enough protection for transportation.
And when reading or surfing the web on the sofa or in my bed, I don't need any protection.
On Microsoft Surface, I can snap on the cover in a second for transportation and typing. And snap off as easily for reading.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #89
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
That is the beauty of having an expansion slot. You can have a surface with 128GB.
That's exactly my configuration.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #90
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
the difference in space reported by file explorer probably is due to conversion rounding because none of the numbers involved are exactly whole GBs.
Try putting in a clean 32 GB SD card in an Android phone/tab and see how much you have left.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote