Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Why Won't This PDF File Open on the PRS When It Does on the Kindle?

In a pecanshell, here's the ish:

Certain PDF files work incredibly well on my PRS-350, while others are nigh unreadable. This I can understand.

What I don't understand are PDFs that won't open at all on my PRS-350 -- particularly when they open correctly on my PC, my Mac and my Kindle.

Case in point: the recently offered free book, Liars for Jesus, by Chris Rodda.

To those who are not offended by the content of the above book and own either a PRS-350 or 650:

Does the file open for you or not? If it doesn't, please let me know. If it does, then help me to understand what I might be doing wrong. I never bothered to install any Adobe Reader software because most PDFs seem to open without issue.

To those who are or might be offended:

My apologies, and please don't trouble yourself with the download. However, this really is the file I'm trying to open at the moment.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-10-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Case in point: the recently offered free book, Liars for Jesus, by Chris Rodda.
I had no problems downloading and copying directly to my PRS-350 using Windows Explorer. I have no problems opening or reading this PDF on my PRS-350.

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
If the file works for others (I haven't tried it) have you tried deleting it and reinstalling it on the 350? It might have been corrupted somehow. I've, once or twice, had files become corrupted on my reader making them not only unreadable but undeletable-- when that happens, you have to back up your folders and format the reader.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
It opens fine on my PRS650, as well. I don't have any Adobe software installed. I copied it to the reader with a simple drag-drop.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Since I experienced the problem after doing exactly what Jackie did without issue -- a drag and drop from my office PC to my 350 (as well as my Kindle) -- I'll try doing it all again.

Ardeegee: What you've said about "files becoming corrupted on [your] reader" is interesting, because this isn't the first time my 350 has refused to open a file. In other cases, the culprit was an ePub doc. downloaded with its mobi counterpart and, since the mobi file worked, I'd assumed the ePub was a bad conversion. Are you certain the corruption occurs on the device after the file has been sent there or did

Wetdogeared: I hadn't updated my 350's firmware because I understood that doing so would prevent me from trying PRS+ until that firmware gets updated.

No matter. If a second file transfer doesn't solve the issue and no other diagnostic steps occur to me (or others on this helpful thread), I'll probably update my 350 this weekend regardless. Enhanced features can't compensate for a moo-hanking eReader's inability to open books!
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I just loaded it onto my 350 through Calibre and the pdf also works fine for me. I have not updated my firmware yet, it still has the original, and I have the latest self installation of PRS+ installed.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

In that case, I'll wait until I get home later and try transferring the newly downloaded file through Calibre just to exhaust all variables.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Yes, I downloaded the file again, recopied it and it now works perfectly. Never mind. . . .

I started this thread because it seemed a good way to keep myself from trying to seem infallible. We end up defending our pride too often in forums like this.

Now I wish I could delete the thread because it seems unnecessary.

==================

What's interesting is that changing the font size in the pdf works really well on the PRS-350 and not at all on the Kindle. The only reason I'd have to buy an eBook edition of this tome now would be to support the magnanimous author.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-13-2011 at 06:16 PM.