Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 03-29-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
PDFRead - reading PDFs on the 1100/1150/1200 eBook Readers

UPDATE: PDFRead is now hosted at SourceForge.

I have a REB1100 and all other things being fine, I disliked not being able to read PDFs on it. I then watched the development of PDFRasterFarian for the Sony Reader, and thought that the same logic could be applied to the REB 1100/1150/1200 family.

So, the tool has the following features:
  • support for PDF and DJVU documents
  • works on Windows, Linux and OS X
  • supports creating images for any ebook reader device
  • out of the box profiles for the 1100/1150/1200 and PRS-500.
  • fast and very accurate autocropping
  • image dilation for more "thicker" text enabled by default
  • automatically splitting into multiple pages for landscape mode
  • generate image will fit the screen size exactly in potrait mode
  • rotation of image for devices that don't support landscape mode
  • option for reducing the number of colors to reduce image size
  • output formats supported: currently html, rb, lrf, imp1, and imp2.

See the sample PDF input and the sample output generated with the REB1100 profile.

For Windows, download the PDFRead v5 installer. For Linux and OS X, download the PDFRead v5 source code. Please read the README in the source or windows installations for further details.

Changes since v4
  • added a README
  • add DJVU input support
  • allow specifying custom options in the Windows GUI
  • OS X support fixes (based on sammykrupa's input)
  • tweaks in the EB-1150 and REB-1200 profile
  • do not split page if the generated image width/height is less than the device parameters. This caused too many blank pages to be created.

Thanks to alex_d, Falstaff, Liviu_5 and sammykrupa for helping me and providing me inspiration.

Enjoy.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows_gui.PNG
Views:	2216
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	3058   Click image for larger version

Name:	windows_gui_custom.PNG
Views:	2083
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	3059  
Attached Files
File Type: txt README.txt (7.2 KB, 1700 views)

Last edited by ashkulz; 04-06-2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: update website link
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Wow. This should work for the eBookwise 1150, too, right?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Yep. Just use the eb1150 profile, and you're ready to go!
Old 03-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Shake
Shake began at the beginning.

Thank you very much for your work!!! This is *very* useful (I also use Ubuntu).

I have one suggestion for the UI: Could you add a crop function? This step has to be done for nearly every pdf...
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Thank you very much for your work!!! This is *very* useful (I also use Ubuntu).

I have one suggestion for the UI: Could you add a crop function? This step has to be done for nearly every pdf...
Autocropping is already built into the code. If you mean manual cropping, that's a whole new kettle of fish ... If you do manual cropping with Acrobat or set the CropBox via Ghostscript, then PDFRead should respect it.

If you have a PDF which is not being cropped properly, please post it here and I will look into it.
Advert
Old 03-31-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
ashkulz
Addict

Added a GUI and automatic creation of LRFs via PyLRS.

Please note that I don't have the Sony Reader, so I haven't really tested the LRF output. However, as I'm using PyLRS for the generation I'm reasonably sure it should work out of the box. Let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited by ashkulz; 03-31-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Any word if the Sony Reader support works on OS X?
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I was not able to make it working on Windows XP. It crashes immideately after pushing the "Convert" button independent on profile settings.
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #9
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
This is great. Support for the imp format would be fantastic, as I have an 1150 and I won't have to make any additional conversion.

By the way, is there any way of putting rb files on a 1150? I think I read somewhere that if you just change the extension of the file from .rb to .imp, the ebookwise 1150 will recognize it. Is it true? Has anyone tried it?
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

I don't know what am I doing wrong, but it does not work for me. When I right-click on any pdf the first option is Read. I click on it and the Acrobat opens it. Then go to Program Files and I launch PDFRead (i.e., pdfread-gui.exe) and fill in the required information, with the exception of Output ebook, where I don't know what am I supposed to put. Then I click convert, a MS DOS black windows appears and quickly disapears and nothing else happens. It must be something that I did wrong, but what?

P.S. I use eb1150
Old 04-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #11
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik
I don't know what am I doing wrong, but it does not work for me. When I right-click on any pdf the first option is Read. I click on it and the Acrobat opens it. Then go to Program Files and I launch PDFRead (i.e., pdfread-gui.exe) and fill in the required information, with the exception of Output ebook, where I don't know what am I supposed to put. Then I click convert, a MS DOS black windows appears and quickly disapears and nothing else happens. It must be something that I did wrong, but what?

P.S. I use eb1150
Ok, I discovered the problem. There are two workarounds:
  1. Install to a location with no spaces (eg. C:\PDFRead)
  2. Open up the file C:\Program Files\PDFRead\pdfread-run.cmd and change
    Code:
    %~dp0bin\pdfread %*
    to
    Code:
    "%~dp0bin\pdfread" %*
    (i.e. add quotes around the command)
Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #12
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obelix
I was not able to make it working on Windows XP. It crashes immideately after pushing the "Convert" button independent on profile settings.
Could you elaborate on that? Does it do a Windows crash? If you could attach a screenshot of that it would be helpful.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:02 AM   #13
sputnik
Enthusiast

it's a windows xp legal copy; the machine is fine; no windows crash, no error; it's just that nothing happens after that dos window flickers for a milisecond
Old 04-01-2007, 02:05 AM   #14
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammykrupa
Any word if the Sony Reader support works on OS X?
I don't really have access to an OS X machine, but it should work. If you have Fink installed, try installing the packages below and then trying the command-line version:

Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #15
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik
it's a windows xp legal copy; the machine is fine; no windows crash, no error; it's just that nothing happens after that dos window flickers for a milisecond
Did you try that workaround I mentioned? The crash comments were directed to obleix, not you. Scroll up to see the workaround.

I will release a new version on monday with the fix and IMP format support.