Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Yes! I added email on my fire, and I have to figure out how to take it off. Can't stand the constant emails!
One quick way is to clear the email app data. It will reset the email app back to default. You will lose all email stored locally. You can do this under Settings\Applications.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Don't forget the never mentioned requirement for content from Amazon on your KF devices that you connect to the we at least every 30-days or most of your content and ever apps will stop working until you do allow the DRM to refresh itself.

This NEVER happens to any content or software on my other Android devices. Heck, I don't think it even happens on iOS devices.

This one caught me with my pants-down on a trip where I knew I was going to be out of town and contact so I began setting my KF up with content over a month prior then just let it be other than charging only to find pretty much nothing worked save a few apps I bought from Google Play and side-loaded to the KF.
I did not know that. Quite the bummer. Guess people use them often enough that their DRM is renewed, but you're right that would certainly preclude consideration. Strange that Amazon can get away without mentioning it in specs.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I did not know that. Quite the bummer. Guess people use them often enough that their DRM is renewed, but you're right that would certainly preclude consideration. Strange that Amazon can get away without mentioning it in specs.
Even worse on a non Amazon tablet you have to have the app store installed and be logged in to your account to use the apps.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

???
I can use my apps fine without being connected to the net on my Android devices.

Is this some kind of American thing?

Ahh, now I get it, if you want to use Amazon's app store apps on an Android device you need to be connected?
Yes, this is uniquely American. You guys can be so incredibly bureaucratic at times.

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 09-07-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Epiphany
Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
One quick way is to clear the email app data. It will reset the email app back to default. You will lose all email stored locally. You can do this under Settings\Applications.
You can also change it to never poll. So that it only does it if you specifically go to the mail app and download.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Seriously? C'mon. You can stuff a good 1,000 tomes on 2GB. For most of us, that is at least ten years worth of reading. If you're climbing Everest, you can load it up before you get to base camp.
...and you lose them if you have to do a factory reset somewhere along the way.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #22
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Do we have confirmation yet that the new Kindle Fire (any model) doesn't have USB host mode? If it's got USB host mode, that solves your problem right there.
Only for moving stuff onto and off of the device (which means shuffling what's already on the device, of course). If you want to actually access the data (eg, watch a movie) while it's on an attached thumb drive, it's a major pain because of the slow USB speeds, the thumb drive heating up (haven't met one over a gig that didn't since I can't afford the upper end , and the thumb drive accidentally getting hit and wrecking the socket when you shift your grip or put the device down incautiously.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
In what way does removable storage turn a reader into a multipurpose device?
I load movies and videos onto the SD card of my Nook Tablet and let the kiddies watch it when we go on a long car trip. On the way back I can pop in another card with different movies.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #24
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
...and you lose them if you have to do a factory reset somewhere along the way.
How many times have you had to factory reset your Kindle, Nook, Kobo e-ink device?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #25
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
e-ink won't play my movies. That's the point of getting a "reader" with a color screen.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
e-ink won't play my movies. That's the point of getting a "reader" with a color screen.
I suspect that a large fraction of us have both an eInk device for reading, and an LCD device for movies, etc. I certainly do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
???
I can use my apps fine without being connected to the net on my Android devices.

Is this some kind of American thing?

Ahh, now I get it, if you want to use Amazon's app store apps on an Android device you need to be connected?
Yes, this is uniquely American. You guys can be so incredibly bureaucratic at times.
The Google Play Store does the same, but seems to manage it better. I don't know if it is a one off on Google when you install the app or if it is a periodic check like Amazon, but there is some behind the scenes validation going on for paid apps on the Play Store as well.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The Google Play Store does the same, but seems to manage it better. I don't know if it is a one off on Google when you install the app or if it is a periodic check like Amazon, but there is some behind the scenes validation going on for paid apps on the Play Store as well.
Not just a bad internet connection?
I guess you can hand out APK files to people, maybe they are checking for that?
When you've paid and know you're legit it becomes a nuisance, kind of like flying domestic in the US.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Don't forget the never mentioned requirement for content from Amazon on your KF devices that you connect to the we at least every 30-days or most of your content and ever apps will stop working until you do allow the DRM to refresh itself.

This NEVER happens to any content or software on my other Android devices. Heck, I don't think it even happens on iOS devices.

This one caught me with my pants-down on a trip where I knew I was going to be out of town and contact so I began setting my KF up with content over a month prior then just let it be other than charging only to find pretty much nothing worked save a few apps I bought from Google Play and side-loaded to the KF.
I didn't know that one. Thanks for another reason in my "no" column.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #30
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
How many times have you had to factory reset your Kindle, Nook, Kobo e-ink device?
On the Kobo Touch, almost weekly 'til the 1.9.14 release. And my brother's had to factory reset his Android tab (a Lenovo IdeaPad or whatever their 1GHz single-core 7" tab is called) 3 times since he got it back in April or May and restoring data's just as bad on that, especially if you have a data cap.