Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
Kasrielle
Enthusiast
Kasrielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Smile Hi from the snows of Northern Canada!

And Happy New Year! I'm Kas.

After squinting for the past few years reading fanfic on my little iPAQ PDA, I've just invested in an eBookwise 1150 (got it through the end of 07 sale from ebay - $112 + $5 shipping, and it includes the 64m card.)

I have tons of stuff that I can't wait to upload onto the reader when it gets here. In the meantime I'm off to read the forums!
Kasrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Kas, enjoy the 1150
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Good luck Kas. Welcome & Happy New Year. How about sending a little snow down south!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Country2220
Country2220 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Depends on your file format

Hi there. Also from Ontario, Canada. Have had my Ebookwise 1150 for about 3 weeks. Seller on ebay was great and it was here within a week! But it is my opinion that the advertising is misleading. Yes the 1150 will read the formats listed but if you don't spend time on each book that you already have Editing this format - and that includes HTML and Rich text formats - then you will not be reading comfortably! There is a program you can buy. I downloaded same for the trial period - as an experienced computer user - but not a computer geek - I did not find this program easy nor quick. Between converting my already purchased html ebooks into rich text; then running them thru the program for errors, then back again editing for line spacing etc. You can expect to spend a lot of time "editing" those ebooks.
If you buy directly from fictionwise or ebookwise web sites into the OB1 (as I call it) format then they download beautifully, but neither site has all the books that I enjoy and unless you buy during a sale or buy Old books - I found the site quite pricey for the newer ebooks! I have used a Dell Axel pda for the past 3-4 years and found it much easier & used html format ebooks but it is getting a bit old and was really hopeful for the 1150; but for myself and the books I have (about 250+) I find I would be better off with something like the Eee PC surfer model or one of the similar type machines which will be apparently coming out in the new year. I'll be watching for these and probably look to buy in the next year or so and just hope my pda continues on for a bit.
I can use the 1150 and it is good, but I definitely did not find it easy to use with file format ebooks other than those ebooks which I can buy thru their own website.
It also does not allow you to make "backup" copies as nothing else reads thoat OB1 file format. And if this site disappears, then you better have those books on a Smart Media card!
This unit using the html would have been a real winner.
Good luck with editing your already owned ebooks. If you find a quick way to edit them for the OB1 format upload - please post. Me, if I don't buy the ebooks from those sites directly for the 1150 - then I'll buy the html files for my pda and have to switch between them until I buy a different unit, maybe the Eee pc?
Country2220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome Kas.

I hope you and Country2220 get over to our ebook download area where we have lots of books in IMP format for the ebw.

Now most (all of them by Patricia, Jon, and me at least) were formatted in BookDesigner. Its a free program that uses RTF or HTML (and a lot of other input formats) and can produce IMP files for the ebw.

BookDesigner is free. It was written by vvv (also a member of this forum) and can produce books in Sony LRF and Mobi PRC as well. Jon has a thread about how to install it and there is a tips and tricks -- best practices -- in the Wiki. No need to buy an additional program.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
DropDeadFred
DropDeadFred began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, REB1200
Sorry you've had such a poor experience getting things prepped for the 1150 Country2220. I will admit that it took me a little while to find a process that worked for me. However, I can go from HTML to imp on my 1150 in about 60 seconds formatted just how I like.

I used to mess around with RTF and Word styles and all kinds of things that just got in the way. Now it is just open the html, paste in my preferred style block, drag into Publisher, build it, open GEBLibrarian and download it to the reader. Occasionally if the HTML came from some lame MS product it takes and extra minute of cleaning up the HTML but not very often. Admittedly, I am pretty familiar with HTML and my handy dandy text editor.

I haven't tried it, but I am anxious to give BookDesigner a try and see if it improves the process a little.
DropDeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
DropDeadFred
DropDeadFred began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, REB1200
PS. Howdy Kasrielle!!!
DropDeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Kasrielle
Enthusiast
Kasrielle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Hi and thanks for the welcome! Well, I took your advice RWood, and downloaded BookDesigner. However, so far I'm having trouble figuring it out... (I'll keep working on it.)

I had previously downloaded ConvertLit GUI and GEB eBook Librarian. When I converted my lit files with ConvertLit it created both an opf and htm file. I then took the htm file and converted it in GEB EL. However - since I don't have my reader yet, I have no idea how the files will look!

When I tried to put a lit file into BookDesigner I got an error saying the file wasn't there. But it is there - so I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I'm jumping the gun - I know - but I want to have a bunch to upload when the reader gets here!
Kasrielle is offline   Reply With Quote