Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
gkathire
gkathire began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Any got their Nook WiFi ?

Just after the announcement I placed my preorder for the WiFi Nook and it was supposed to be shipped on 23rd June. But this morning I got a mail from BN that it will be delayed by a month. Did anyone get their WiFi Nook ?
gkathire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
lorddon
lorddon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi
Nope, got the delayed message as well. 3G it is then.
lorddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Seriously? I am all set in buying the wifi but delaying this really sucks. Maybe by then something else will drop further in price and I will get something else.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Iamboring
Iamboring began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi

Now I just need to work up the courage to try softrooting it.
Iamboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamboring View Post
Now I just need to work up the courage to try softrooting it.

I've been trying to build up to that myself!
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Iamboring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I've been trying to build up to that myself!
It's a matter of the fact that the hardware may have received an update internally beyond popping out 3G. If I had ordered a 3G nook I'd have no qualms- it's relatively easy and very low risk.

However, if the hardware is different, downgrading to 1.0 could brick the device.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Iamboring

Just got a text message from home saying the nook Wi-Fi has arrived.

Now to wish I was at home already for the next 8 hours...
Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
It's a matter of the fact that the hardware may have received an update internally beyond popping out 3G. If I had ordered a 3G nook I'd have no qualms- it's relatively easy and very low risk.

However, if the hardware is different, downgrading to 1.0 could brick the device.
I know it is just a software update... but I can't get rid of a mental image.

Right after I power up after the root "This nook will self destruct in 5 seconds" Then some theme music, then smoke starts pouring from the back...
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Iamboring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I know it is just a software update... but I can't get rid of a mental image.

Right after I power up after the root "This nook will self destruct in 5 seconds" Then some theme music, then smoke starts pouring from the back...
The nookdev guys say that they have never heard of someone irrecoverably bricking their nook, FWIW.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I ordered from B&N.com, they said they should be shipping today.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Mine arrived in my maildrop in Maine, should have it tomorrow
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
ummm...the nookdev guys have also never heard of anyone softroot'ing a Nook Wifi - since it's never been released before to test with, and nobody knows the hardware.

Hopefully it's just a regular Nook with the 3G module removed/disabled somehow.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkathire View Post
Just after the announcement I placed my preorder for the WiFi Nook and it was supposed to be shipped on 23rd June. But this morning I got a mail from BN that it will be delayed by a month. Did anyone get their WiFi Nook ?
According to some posts on the Nook forum, the one month delay is a standard response by the B&N order system, and chances are the real delivery date will be sooner.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
dbrowdy
Enthusiast
dbrowdy is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post

Hopefully it's just a regular Nook with the 3G module removed/disabled somehow.

Troy
Official specs have it weighing less than the 3G so chances are the 3G interface was removed. I assume that's saving them a nice chunk of change (that and the connectivity) and that's the $50 savings we're seeing.

However, I agree that I won't try softrooting mine until it's tested by someone far braver. Supposedly mine is shipping tomorrow...fingers crossed!
dbrowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #15
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post
Official specs have it weighing less than the 3G so chances are the 3G interface was removed. I assume that's saving them a nice chunk of change (that and the connectivity) and that's the $50 savings we're seeing.
Nice catch on the weight difference! And looking here at the internal pics, it seems like it's an easy module to remove [and possibly to replace with one of your own.]

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote