Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #61
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
No, but I have been trying to finish the books I already have before buying new ones, so it is kind of a moot point until the next purchase decision. But I'm as likely to hesitate about purchasing a book with TTS disabled as one that's $12.99 instead of $9.99. My sweet spot is definitely something $9.99 or under, with TTS enabled.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #62
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Another irritant

One irritant I've run into is with old classics in public domain. My wife wanted one yesterday and I had to go to Amazon and get it. Of all that I have done from amazon they make it hard to find the one for 0.00. You have to sift past the number of versions that are .99 or 1.00 or 1.99 etc.

I've started using I books for classics, not a question in the ibooks store, one version 0.00.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #63
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
did you check here for it?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #64
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
One irritant I've run into is with old classics in public domain. My wife wanted one yesterday and I had to go to Amazon and get it. Of all that I have done from amazon they make it hard to find the one for 0.00. You have to sift past the number of versions that are .99 or 1.00 or 1.99 etc.

I've started using I books for classics, not a question in the ibooks store, one version 0.00.
Go to the Amazon Kindle Books store. Enter your search criteria. When the results are displayed, find the "Sort by" selection list near the top right of the results, and select "Price: Low to High". Voila.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #65
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Or simply go to the bookstore through your Kindle and type "Public Domain (Author's Name)" in the search store line. Easy!
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #66
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I am particpating in the boycott of DRM books. That includes anything by Amazon
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #67
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
maybe this is just me but I think $9.99 for an ebook is an utter rip off. I have never and will never pay $10 for an ebook. Period.

I can buy the actualy physical book for $6 or $7 why in known universe would I pay $10 for what essentially amounts to NO property at all?

You OWN NOTHING with an ebook so the "value" of an ebook is very very low to me (on the order of $1 or less) maybe $2 for an early release or something.

People say wait no its compared to hard back prices. My only reply to that is are you nuts? there is a reason a book costs $6 and a hardback costs $20. thats because ITS A HARD BACK. you are GETTING something significantly more valuable for the $20 over the $6

nice hard cover and binding. Nicer paper thicker paper dust cover overall a far more valuable possession to put on your book case. (note I almost never pay for than $10 even for hard covers)

With an ebook you get EVEN LESS than the $6 book. no paper no cover no nothing. just a digital file you have no ownership rights over.

it should be priced accordingly. Subtract the costs from a regular $6 or $7 book

THAT is what the ebook should cost since THAT is all your getting.

I simply download my ebooks from "other" sources. my conscious is clear. I can say with 100% truthfulness that if I get past page 50 I WILL OWN a physical copy of that book for my bookshelf if its possible to get a physical copy.

If I don't get past page 50 its no different than reading it at the store or library and deciding I don't like it.

That is why I don;t buy devices that require proprietary software and lack NATIVE open file support. its why I bought the sony reader (memory card and native txt and rtf support) and now the kindle DX (usb mass storage spec and native open pdf txt prc mobi support)

Its my way or the highway. retailers and publishers need to be retaught this universal law. its our way or the highway.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #68
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I do not buy ANY books over 9.99. And even then it has to be a book I REALLY want. I have been getting a bunch of free books from the usual sources. Legal and otherwise.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 AM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
maybe this is just me but I think $9.99 for an ebook is an utter rip off. I have never and will never pay $10 for an ebook. Period.

I can buy the actualy physical book for $6 or $7 why in known universe would I pay $10 for what essentially amounts to NO property at all?
You should not by DRMed books regardless of the price.

Quote:
People say wait no its compared to hard back prices. My only reply to that is are you nuts? there is a reason a book costs $6 and a hardback costs $20. thats because ITS A HARD BACK. you are GETTING something significantly more valuable for the $20 over the $6
That is not the reason at all. You are paying more for the early access.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #70
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I often do pay more for an ebook than its treebook version in paperback or hardback. And it riles the heck out of me because it's unjustified. Thing is, though, that -- after nearly six decades as a bookworm -- since I started using a reader eighteen months ago, I can't abide a treebook. My prediction is that paper books simply won't catch on. Another, more up-to-date prediction is that publishers and retailers will get their acts together as ebook reading becomes even more popular and they realise that it's a buyer's market. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #71
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You should not by DRMed books regardless of the price.
Maybe YOU shouldn't. I'll buy what I want to thanks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #72
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
But Tompe does have a sound point, Brian, and we should all make it. It's our job as customers to declare as loudly as possible that this is a buyer's market and that folks who love ebooks won't be manipulated or dictated to. We must bring the publishers and retailers to heel ... not vice versa. All we ask is a fair deal (and that means largely on our terms). No hard feelings though, chum. Bestest. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #73
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
But Tompe does have a sound point, Brian, and we should all make it. It's our job as customers to declare as loudly as possible that this is a buyer's market and that folks who love ebooks won't be manipulated or dictated to. We must bring the publishers and retailers to heel ... not vice versa. All we ask is a fair deal (and that means largely on our terms). No hard feelings though, chum. Bestest. Neil
I'm all for getting rid of DRM, but what's an effective way of actually getting rid of it? Are a few people on an internet forum really going to make enough of a dent that publishers will notice? Are those people letting the publishers know each time that they were going to buy a book and didn't and why? IMO the ebook market needs to grow a lot before anything will happen about big pubs dropping DRM. That's basically what happened with the digital music market.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #74
bulbboy
bulbboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I don't understand why an older book is $9.99 when you can buy it in paperback for $5.99. Isn't an ebook cheaper in the long run to make and sell?
bulbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #75
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbboy View Post
I don't understand why an older book is $9.99 when you can buy it in paperback for $5.99. Isn't an ebook cheaper in the long run to make and sell?
yes. this has been the source of a great deal of speculation for quite awhile.

welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote