Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Azzura
Azzura began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Margins being ignored

I seem to be having trouble getting left margins to work.

It will indent my whole paragraph but the value does nothing - it seems to pick 1 em no matter what value I give it....2em or 30px etc. It is to set off written letters in the text and then a further indent for signing

.letter {
margin-left: 2em;
}

.signed {
margin-left: 4em;
}

In a browser everything looks good - but once in a reader the format is gone. I should just go back to       - less headaches!
Azzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What are you using to build/compile your MOBI?

First off... there are no "real" margins in the MOBI format. Left margins are simulated using the blockquote element. The blockquotes can be nested to obtain "deeper" left margins.

So in the process of building your MOBI from the html/css source, the margin-left css property is simply being converted to blockquote elements in the MOBI's internal markup code.

The best way of being able to control the depths of your margins is to completely forego the css left-margin approach and just start with the blockquotes (nested if need be) to begin with. They're going to end up that way in the final MOBI anyway.
(and yes, those blockquotes will render different indent "depths" on different devices/apps)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Azzura
Azzura began at the beginning.

Dreamweaver - Notepad - Mobipocket (just to make the opf base file) - Kindlegen

I have just started using CSS for my ebooks - I just normally tweaked code and nudged when needed - using good ole reliable  

I will mess with blockquotes...see if that helps! Thanks
Azzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mobi does not understand CSS. The various conversion tools will make an attempt to convert CSS into things that Mobi can understand, but it's a hit and miss process. You're a lot better off using proper Mobi tags in the first place.

Eg, to indent a paragraph by 2em:

Code:
<p width="2em">
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

I have begun to use CSS almost exclusively to build Kindle books. This for example for blockquotes:

p.blockquote {
text-indent:0;
margin-left:2em;
font-family:monospace;
}

Perhaps the OP need only get rid of the space between margin-left: and the numeral?

I hasten to add that I know nothing about CSS. I just copy others' styles and test that they work in Fire, Kindle, and iPhone app.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert