Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2007, 03:03 AM   #1
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
5-minute impression of the 505

I stopped by a SonyStyle store on my way home and played with the 505 for a few minutes. Here is my impression:

1. The screen:
It has whiter background and no ghosting. Refreshing a little bit faster but not much. The refreshing routine is different, and seems to have one more step which displays fuzzified reversed contents of current page which I found quite distracting.

2. The cover:
The cover is looser and has more margin on the right side. I think I like the 500 one more which has better fit and feels compact in your hand. There is no point to see the back of the unit which is quite unsightly. They should just relocate the reset hole.

3. The form factors:
The 500 has curve edges and memory card cover and a slicker look. The 505 has all staight edges and no memory card covers, and looks quite rigid and cold. The 505 is a bit thinner but not by much.

4. The buttons:
The 505 has moved page buttons on the right and I found it not easy to control because of the shape of the edge. The joy stick is replaced by the dial pad which can be controlled more accurately.

My impression may be biased because I am still in love with the 500
Overall I like the 500 form factors better and the screen alone is not compelling enough for an upgrade. And I can't live without the clock since I tend to forget time while reading a novel
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 AM   #2
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
for those not aware, the page flipping shown here http://youtube.com/watch?v=e04Lbm4y2ZU. very annoying to see a page 'load' with such a good quality component mix. distracting, it seems to 'pour in'. i cant believe anyone could like this, but maybe they get used to it...

in comparison the much smoother snappy transition of the cybook is a clear winner.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dJzR5AXkR28
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
hello, what are you on about? The cybook gen3 has the same flashing as the 505 when page turning. The Gen3 is not smoother. It's identical due to the fact that both are using the same Vizplex 6" screen. So please stop trying to stir up trouble where none exists.

The 500 which uses the older screen does not pour in either. It flashes black and then the text appears. With the Vizplex screen, the text appears and then it does an inverse of the screen looking like the black flash surrounding whiteish text. It's actually quite neat to watch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
WayneD
Enthusiast
WayneD began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone + PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The cybook gen3 has the same flashing as the 505 when page turning.
From what I've seen of the YouTube videos, the gen3's page update does appear different than the 505 (and slightly faster). I'd imagine that the difference is that the gen3 is going with a 4-shade grayscale for text, while the 505 has changed to use a 8-shade grayscale (which, as I understand it, is a little slower to refresh). It would be nice to see a side-by-side video at some point for a more accurate comparison.
WayneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
jeffgrado
jeffgrado began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
After using the 505 for a few hours already, the whiter screen is much nicer, and to me, worth the upgrade! It's much more eye friendly in lower light conditions.
jeffgrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Both flip rates seem pretty similar to me. And they're just as fast , if not faster than, the total disruption that occurs when I have to turn the fiber-based page unit on my non-electronic readers.

Seriously, the e-ink 'flips' are no worse than turning pages in a book. And the differences between models is miniscule. WHat is the fuss here? When I'm *reading* something on the Reader, the page changes are almost unnoticeable. I happen to pay attention to the words on the display instead.

I also suspect that 'hello' either owns or is planning to buy a cybook, and is looking for justification.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I also suspect that 'hello' either owns or is planning to buy a cybook, and is looking for justification.
That sounds like a perfectly good reason for why he's posting what he is.

But I don't see any reason to try to take down the other readers out there to justify the Gen3. The other readers can be perfectly good at what they do, it may turn out that you want the Gen3 instead which is perfectly OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Both flip rates seem pretty similar to me. And they're just as fast , if not faster than, the total disruption that occurs when I have to turn the fiber-based page unit on my non-electronic readers.

Seriously, the e-ink 'flips' are no worse than turning pages in a book. And the differences between models is miniscule. WHat is the fuss here? When I'm *reading* something on the Reader, the page changes are almost unnoticeable. I happen to pay attention to the words on the display instead.

I've currently got the PRS-500 (my mom *LOVES* it) and the engineering sample of the Cybook Gen3. The only way HELLO can have the Cybook is if he's got an engineering sample. And he's been just as irritating with his criticisms of it.

Me, I'll buy a PRS-505 when I can as well as an Amazon Kindle. I *may* eventually be able to afford an iLiad V2, or one of the rumored dual-screen Hanlins or color screen Hanlins. I just *like* eInk devices. Go figure.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Me too. After the usual few weeks of reading up on my new toy (mostly here, and much of it before it arrived) and then trying the hacks, etc., I've basically been using it to READ BOOKS for the past few weeks. And it does a fine job at that. I do wish the contrast were a bit better, though. In some lower-light situations (e.g., some subway cars) I enlarge the font because it's a bit hard to read. Apart from that, it's great to have accessible reading material all the time, with many options depending on my mood.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I don't mind the page-flip effect of miniscule delay involved either, I know it's there so I send to chunk the last few words of the page while I change pages so account for the delay, much in the same way I did with reading traditional PB models.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote