Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
gardefjord
Enthusiast
gardefjord began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Nook, Bookeen, Sony Reader
Reset CSS in ebooks?

Hi,
Anyone knows or has developed an reset.css for ebooks?
If not, wouldn't it be awesome if there was one?

/Adam
gardefjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What do you mean with a reset CSS? If you don't want layout, remove the stylesheet. However, don't complain that it looks terrible.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
I assume gardefjord is looking for a css template that works across as many devices as possible, as a starting point for building epubs?

This would be useful and I believe there are a few out there. I haven't looked into it yet, but will when time allows.
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
I know what your talking about, I use a reset.css file for all my web pages. I haven't really seen the need for one in a epub.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
gardefjord
Enthusiast

Yes SamL, that's exactly what I'm refering too.
And, it feels kind of weird that people on mobileread don't know about it.

Guess that it's tricky to try and implement a reset.css in a similar way that you/we do in web design (I think we have a lot more read-engines then web designers has browsers). But, you have to start somewhere...

How about here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS_template
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not grasping why/how it's being labeled a "reset" css? I understand "template" or "starting-point," but "reset" just doesn't make any sense. It seems to imply that you could "reset" the style of an html document with that type of stylesheet—which is, of course, impossible... unless you find a way to strip all the old class attributes from the HTML itself and replace them with the appropriate "reset" values?

Templates are fine. But in order for a global template to work with the widest range of texts/ereaders/browsers/creators possible, it's going to have to be so minimal as to be rather pointless.

I know people develop their own css templates, but that's different... they've discovered what works for them.

A global ePub CSS template might look something like:
Code:
p {
  line-height: 120%;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  }
And even that would probably be stepping on the toes of many ebook creators' designs/plans.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardefjord View Post
Yes SamL, that's exactly what I'm refering too.
And, it feels kind of weird that people on mobileread don't know about it.

Guess that it's tricky to try and implement a reset.css in a similar way that you/we do in web design (I think we have a lot more read-engines then web designers has browsers). But, you have to start somewhere...

How about here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS_template
Why do you call it a "reset" CSS? Where does "resetting" something come into it? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
It's a term from web designers - it's called 'reset' because by including it you were 'resetting' the styles that were different between different browsers to a common set of stylings, however it's come to be a basic template that designers then elaborate on.

Google came up with this as a history primer which looks close to right:
http://sixrevisions.com/css/the-history-of-css-resets/

I don't know think there's an equivalent for ePub rendering space, because as the OP is starting to realize, nobody's really considered this. Likely because the various renderers (even those using the same rendering engine) vary so widely in what they do, and we (the vendors) haven't published much information about what we are doing. As a for instance if you look at the same EPUB on a Nook Color, a Sony T1, and in ADE 1.8 - you will find all three different renderings:

1.) Unless the font is embedded - the font used will be different (and even then it may be overridden on the NC)
2.) EInk vs Color makes a big difference, that the browser reset CSS authors haven't thought about.
2.) Linespacing,font size, margin and other override settings are available on the T1 and NC, but not in ADE (well font size is).

Last edited by Jim Lester; 11-11-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Jim; I've been creating eBooks for more years than I care to remember, but that's a new one on me.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My thanks, as well.

I've always considered myself fairly fluent in web design and its terminology, but that was a term I'd never heard of.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

One should perhaps be wary of resetting too many of the "defaults" of a reading device for an eBook. Eg, changing the font size for the body text is a BAD idea; there's nothing more annoying than a book which displays in a font size that's different from what the user expects; the reading device itself will allow the user to make the text larger or small. Don't mess with that!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
You might try this out: wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS_template
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #13
gardefjord
Enthusiast

@Harry_T & DiapDealer, sorry for not explaining in full what i've meant. But now you know, thanks to Jim!
And I totally agree with him that it's a very difficult task to try and create a reset for all the different devices out there. But you got to start somewhere, don't you?
I guess reset.css in webdeisgn came about because of IE, perhaps that samething similar will happen for Mobile Reader SDK, which I (and others) think is developing too slow.

@virtual_ink I've allready posted that link
Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
A css reset is very common in web design, with the most popular one being Meyer's reset which I use in all my web css stylesheets. I also use a reset for ebooks that does not reset the font size.
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Good for reader/stylists

Or whatever you want to call us who want to format their e-books to their own preferences. In this case, the CSS person is also the reader.

It would be nice to have a reset.css equivalent, for exactly the same reason the Yahoo YUI reset became so popular - more consistent presentation across multiple clients and over time - except in this case, from the reader's point of view of reading and keeping their books in their library.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, ebooks, epub, reset, reset.css