Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #91
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Apple fans will camp out to buy them and eventually millions will be sold.
Sad, but true. I never understood the need to "camp out" at a store for something.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #92
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
That's $70 less than what I expected it to cost.
But $80 more than what it should cost.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #93
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Granted, that's typical Apple, but I didn't think even they would have the cajones to go > $300 for what everyone else is charging < $250 for (even taking into account the rear-facing camera).
Off topic, but the word you're after does not have any "a" but only "o", "cajones" is simply "drawers"
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #94
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Off topic, but the word you're after does not have any "a" but only "o", "cajones" is simply "drawers"
Okay, thanks. I'll edit my post.

For the record, I didn't think they had the drawers for it, either.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #95
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I find the pricing and the screen resolution of the new iPad mini to be totally underwhelming. I've now got my eye on a 32gb Nexus 7 --OR-- the new Nook HD.

Really, all I want is web browsing and a good color reader. The best screen right now in the 7-8" size would be the Nook HD at 1440 x 900 and 243ppi. It is also an IPS screen which is supposedly more readable in outdoor light. It puts the screen of the new iPad mini (just 162ppi) to shame. And what's more, the Nook HD will come with a card slot!

Here's the question ... Will I be able to sideload epubs into the Nook HD? I just got finished chatting with a representative on the B&N website, and she said one will be able to sideload epubs from any source into the new Nook HD. But weren't there problems doing that with the previous Nook color tablet? Does anyone know if that is true? If it really can handle epubs from any source, I think I'll be going in that direction.

Oh, and the new Nook HD will be 0.69 lbs. Just .01 lbs heavier than the new ipad Mini (supposedly some lightweight wonder).

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 10-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #96
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
But $80 more than what it should cost.
We've danced this dance before, and we're never going to agree. :lol:

If they were selling the same OS as everyone else, I would be more inclined to see your point.

Regardless of what anyone's motivation for buying i-thingys is, it's never been because of competitive pricing.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #97
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
What I find amusing is that in the spring Apple was pimping raw resolution numbers.
Today they're pimping surface area.
Like,duh; yeah, an 8in tablet has a bigger display than a 7incher.
Is that really supposed to be a feature worth US$130?
Then how about 9in and triple the resolution plus double the RAM and still cheaper?
Spin me a new story...

Here, fron ZDnet:
Quote:
Schiller took some time to describe how the iPad mini stacks up against the competition, calling out the direct competitors in the 7-inch tablet market.

Specifically remarking that the iPad mini has 35 percent more display real estate than Google’s Nexus 7, Schiller continued that the 7.9-inch mini is 49 percent larger in portrait mode and 67 percent larger in landscape when it comes to browser use.”
http://www.zdnet.com/apple-gets-offi...33/?s_cid=e589
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #98
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Apple fans will camp out to buy them and eventually millions will be sold.
And the stock market will rise.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #99
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Regardless of what anyone's motivation for buying i-thingys is, it's never been because of competitive pricing.
That's really the bottom line. It's not a value-driven (i.e., "bang for the buck") purchase.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #100
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just can't believe they'd ship something with only 1024x768 resolution. The rumors had prepared me for that eventuality, but I didn't want to believe it. With retina, I think they could have moved them at $399.

At least the 8GB base model rumors were untrue.

No wonder AAPL is down.

The thing will still sell strongly however. Parents aren't going to buy full size iPads for their kids to use at school, and so this device was necessary. This is going to be a big part of Apple's attempts to dominate the education market.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #101
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I already have the N7 and 7" KFHD. Looking elsewhere for a newer toy and it will not be this one. It may be called an IPAD mini but which IPAD????
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #102
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Yeah, I guess I'm just not sure what folks expected as far as cost. Apple really doesn't care much to be competitive price-wise with these other smaller tablets. They're going to outsell them regardless, so why not do it at the highest price?

Personally, I'm rather invested in the Apple ecosystem just because I've been using it longer and have grown familiar with it. And I think it works well for what I use these things for, and I've never had any complaints. So I'm more apt to overspend on this smaller iPad (the large iPads have never really interested me) than say I would on the new Kindle because I prefer Apple's setup. Which is more important to me than pixel counts and what not. I think Apple realizes there are a ton of users out there like me willing to do the same. No need to lower the price to be competitive with the hundreds of different tablets coming out all the time when the huge user base you already have developed will pay a premium.

I really find the tech fights interesting, with the "haters" and "fanboys", since things like blind loyalty and passion have have never been aspects of my tech consumption. I've used Windows, Android, Amazon, Apple, etc for many years and really see pros and cons with any piece of technology. I just happen to prefer the ecosystem of Apple right now since it's familiar and has worked for me without issue through several different devices for a long time now. And a smaller iPad seems like something that I would prefer to my Kindle Fire, whose setup I count as worse for my needs than my iPhone or iPod.

So it always strikes me odd when some people get up in arms about overspending on "fewer specs". I think there is a large number of tech users like me, who are more concerned with the ecosystem than they are on the latest and greatest tech (knowing the tech will get outdated soon anyway, while the ecosystem has more staying power). And when we're talking about things like this new iPad anyway, or any of the other great devices around, its not like we're comparing ultrabooks to Tandy's or anything. Unless someone puts a better screen right next to the one I'm using, I'll never know what the difference is anyway.

Last edited by bugjd; 10-23-2012 at 03:55 PM.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #103
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #104
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Fewer specs isn't an incentive for me to try their ecosystem. Sorry Apple!

And the price ain't right besides!

Last edited by robertc88; 10-23-2012 at 04:00 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #105
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The Apple event kept the stock market from a small crash today.

Only down 1.3% at the moment but tomorrow will be the tester.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote