Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #61
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks, Nyssa. After coming home and getting some sleep, I took care of it from post #31 onward, but you may want to check behind me. I may have missed something.

Now it's off to clean up after the Norton and Crystal. Crystal's wearing a muzzle today because she ate the wife's hair brush while I was sleeping.
Thank you Tom! I'm actually booked solid through the first week of April (except for the week of Spring Break), plus a few of April days as well.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We already know that you don't even feel obligated to read a choice that you nominated and voted for, so I don't see where force enters into it.
We had a run-off vote. That wiped the slate clean. The one I voted for in the run-off vote did not win. What I nominated didn't win. It didn't even make it to the run-off vote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #63
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We had a run-off vote. That wiped the slate clean. The one I voted for in the run-off vote did not win. What I nominated didn't win. It didn't even make it to the run-off vote.
Hmmm.... That's not what I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
*** Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne [caleb72, Nyssa, JSWolf]
Quote:
And here's the 3rd.
You were the third to NOMINATE it, just enough to get it into the vote.

Yes, seconds and thirds are nominations per the nomination instructions:
Quote:
How Many Nominations Can I Make?
Each participant has 3 nominations. You can nominate a new book for consideration or nominate (second, third) one that has already been nominated by another person.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The third nomination for 20,000 Leagues was from you.

"Slate wiped clean"? As in, somehow the voting influenced you to such an extent that a book you supported in the nominating and first voting rounds was somehow rendered unreadable because you preferred another book in the last round? Alrighty, then.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #65
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh dear. The book club nomination and voting threads are like some literary version of a bar room brawl sometimes.

I'll nominate MR Authors because I don't think anyone's done that yet. I don't think it will be that popular after the MR library won a category, but what the hell.

All my seconds and thirds have been done for me, so I'll also throw in a feeble Horror nomination. It never seems to be that popular in a vote so it's probably going to be a sail without wind again this month.

I'll wait to see if there's anything I'd like to throw my last nomination behind.

Jon, I don't really understand your nomination. What is user's choice? And what do you mean by "Except if the book is in the MR library"? Whose choice will it be if it's in the MR library?

Maybe the meaning is clear and I'm just in a strange place at the moment.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #66
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I will second MR authors
Maybe this wouldn't be the best month for it, right after MR library, but still...

And FWIW, I don't understand the "User's choice...." either.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #67
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Oh please, grow up! You supported its nomination, you voted for it in the first run. Had you not voted for it in the first run there wouldn't have been a run-off vote. This voting thing is really easy: Don't vote for something you don't support! And don't whine when what you gave support to TWICE wins!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Jon, please.

Let's move on to something else.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Jon, I don't really understand your nomination. What is user's choice? And what do you mean by "Except if the book is in the MR library"? Whose choice will it be if it's in the MR library?
It's the same as Free-for-All except I don't like using the word free as we all know that can cause problems. So I changed it to User's Choice. Meaning you can pick any eBook you want except for the eBooks in the MR Library as we already have MR Library as a category. If MR Library had lost, I would not have put in that little stipulation.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #70
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
It's the same as Free-for-All except I don't like using the word free as we all know that can cause problems. So I changed it to User's Choice. Meaning you can pick any eBook you want except for the eBooks in the MR Library as we already have MR Library as a category. If MR Library had lost, I would not have put in that little stipulation.
For consistency, wouldn't you also have to exclude books from any of the other existing categories? Or is it actually 'existing categories that I don't like'?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
For consistency, wouldn't you also have to exclude books from any of the other existing categories? Or is it actually 'existing categories that I don't like'?
We've had more reads that were not all that good (IMHO) from free eBooks then we have from paid eBooks. So I'm eliminating one source of free eBooks in order to better the chances of a good eBook chosen.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #72
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We've had more reads that were not all that good (IMHO) from free eBooks then we have from paid eBooks. So I'm eliminating one source of free eBooks in order to better the chances of a good eBook chosen.
It would make more sense to call it 'User Choice (paid eBooks only)' then if that's your thinking.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
It would make more sense to call it 'User Choice (paid eBooks only)' then if that's your thinking.
There are a lot of free eBooks that are not like the ones picked for the month's read. I don't want to take those out of the running.

Anyway, User's Choice just needs to more nods to be eligible to be voted upon.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #74
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will third MR Authors.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #75
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
There are a lot of free eBooks that are not like the ones picked for the month's read. I don't want to take those out of the running.

Anyway, User's Choice just needs to more nods to be eligible to be voted upon.
I certainly won't be nodding towards it. Your last two posts don't even begin to make sense.