Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
mmxx
mmxx has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Question Do 350/650 come with covers?

To those who've already got one,

can any of you tell me whether the new 350 and 650 come with any kind of cover in the box?

or are they both "naked"?

thank you very much,
mmxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I believe they come naked.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxx View Post
To those who've already got one,

can any of you tell me whether the new 350 and 650 come with any kind of cover in the box?

or are they both "naked"?

thank you very much,
Definitely naked. The offical Sony case is a nice extra, but expensive.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I can't believe Sony's eReader are one of the most expensive and it doesn't come with a case.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Nekkid.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

No included covers, but Sony will gladly sell you one for $35 and up! Browse the threads here and you will see alternatives that are less expensive.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I can't believe Sony's eReader are one of the most expensive and it doesn't come with a case.
Definitely one of the most expensive. However, Amazon and B&N don't include covers either, nor do most of the other companies that sell readers. I guess it is like buying a car. They will try their best to sell you every accessory they can to drive up the profits (no pun intended).
Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
To tell the truth, Sony readers are quite inexpensive
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
Would you care to explain your rationale? Compared to a Mercedes Benz, yes they are inexpensive. Compared to other brand readers (Kindles, Nooks, Jetbooks, etc.) they are expensive.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
For someone that can afford six different reading devices, it's inexpensive.

For the rest of us--I've been saving for three weeks so far to afford a new 350 and I'm only half way there!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The Aluratek Libre Pro comes with a cover. =)
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
No cover for PRS-650. However, I did order a cover with a light built-it for it - which is sadly delayed. I was hoping to get them together.
I will however say this. As compared to the PRS-300 (not to mention my PRS-900) the PRS-650 needs a lot less light to read with. For example I'm reading my PRS-900 in the evening under normal central light, I would need the extra light for a comfortable experience. With PRS-650, no need, the contrast is great.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
Expensive but worth every penny
I have been using 505 for almost 3 years and have never been tempted with another ebook reader. That's what you get if you pay premium but get what you want
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
The Aluratek Libre Pro comes with a cover. =)
So does the Cybook Gen 3 and the ECO Reader. And both came with external power supply as well.

And, on a different level, both give a choice of font family for reading, and the choice to have text justified or right ragged justification.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
mrdee0
mrdee0 began at the beginning.

Device: mrdee0
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
No cover for PRS-650. However, I did order a cover with a light built-it for it - which is sadly delayed. I was hoping to get them together.
I will however say this. As compared to the PRS-300 (not to mention my PRS-900) the PRS-650 needs a lot less light to read with. For example I'm reading my PRS-900 in the evening under normal central light, I would need the extra light for a comfortable experience. With PRS-650, no need, the contrast is great.
Had my 650 today and I was reading from the light of the aquarium i have which is a low watt light and i was sitting a distance from it onthe sofa. I tried reading a paper book and it was difficult- but the ereader was fine. The screen itself i noticed almost seems to glow as it there is a dim backlight inside it.
mrdee0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
350, 650, cover, sony