Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #46
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
In that image what font size are you using...max or min?

surely it depend on the font size and i thought i saw elsewhere here you could configure the number of words per line and font size and spacing between words and lines

am i right ?

could you do another screen shot showing the smallest font with smallest space between words and lines?
My previous photo showed the smallest font size my eyes can handle, which is the 4th smallest / 5th largest font. I've attached a photo with the settings you requested.

I still stand by what I said, I don't think two columns would work. The 6" screen simply isn't big enough for reading a book to be comfortable that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0490.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	57355  
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
I still stand by what I said, I don't think two columns would work. The 6" screen simply isn't big enough for reading a book to be comfortable that way.
I agree it would be crowded using two columns on a 6" diag. screen. It did work with smaller font sizes on my Sony PRS-900 with a 7" diag. screen, but just barely. However, on my Kindle DXG with a 9.7" diag. screen I think it would work very well. But one has to remember that the K3 screen is only 4.8" wide (in landscape) whereas the KDXG screen is 8" wide.
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #48
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
An easy way to see if a two page display is for you is to download the PC ereader from ereader.com and see for yourself.

You can drag the screen to any size you want as well as select fonts and margins. The link is below.

http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm

Take any non DRMed file and let Calibre convert it to PDB and open it with the ereader. All the settings can be found by clicking View>View Settings

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 08-30-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #49
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would have thought that it was fairly self-evident. When you only have one page displayed on the screen, the only "wasted space" is the margins around the edge of the page. When you have two pages - or rather, two columns displayed on the one page - you not only have the margins around the edge, but the space between the columns, hence less usable area on the screen in which to actually display text.
Harry, I always love your well thought out and logical replies, but I really think you're wasting your time using logic here because he obviously doesn't get it. My impression is that this particular fairly inexperienced poster thinks he has really great ideas, which are obviously in the minority and rejected by most others, and then he becomes argumentative because we're not all seeing the brilliance of his ideas. I've come to the conclusion that any effort is wasted at this point. At least that's my opinion. As they say, don't feed...
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #50
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
/opt/amazon/ebook/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref.default

ALLOW_TWO_COLUMN_VIEW = false

Huh. So at the very least it was taken into account at one point. No idea if it's still usable, and no particular urge to mess with it ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 AM   #51
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
My previous photo showed the smallest font size my eyes can handle, which is the 4th smallest / 5th largest font. I've attached a photo with the settings you requested.

Thanks for that.I just did a mental visualization and it should be possible even with the present smallest font.

In your image there is a lot of space wasted at the top and sides.By eliminating it you could have the near ideal reader.And by adding another smaller font it will definately be possible.

Most paperbacks do have even smaller fonts.

Is the fonts size on the kindle related to the font size in your pc?

in mean is size 12 font the same size as font size 12 on your pc?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:16 AM   #52
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
Harry, I always love your well thought out and logical replies, but I really think you're wasting your time using logic here because he obviously doesn't get it. My impression is that this particular fairly inexperienced poster thinks he has really great ideas, which are obviously in the minority and rejected by most others, and then he becomes argumentative because we're not all seeing the brilliance of his ideas. I've come to the conclusion that any effort is wasted at this point. At least that's my opinion. As they say, don't feed...
Just eliminate the margins or minimize them.

Tom why are you simply trying to stifle debate?

In the West we are allowed to express our thoughts freely without fear or favor.

"obviously in the minority".

It is the minority who are responsible for all major scientific and technological advances or do you really think it is the majority of sheeple who are?

Amazing how the minority are alway picked on by bully boys.Why?

Last edited by vugtitan; 08-31-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:20 AM   #53
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
/opt/amazon/ebook/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref.default

ALLOW_TWO_COLUMN_VIEW = false

Huh. So at the very least it was taken into account at one point. No idea if it's still usable, and no particular urge to mess with it ^^.
How would i change it to "true".As I will be trying all and every setting on it.

I will then report back.

Where did you see this option?
How do I get to it?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #54
Strolls
Enthusiast
Strolls began at the beginning.

Device: None / Kindle
Quote:
How would i change it to "true".As I will be trying all and every setting on it.

I will then report back.

Where did you see this option?
How do I get to it?
The /opt/amazon/ebook/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/reader.pref.default suggests it's a file on the Kindle - one of the Kindle's own system files, a settings file. It's surely just a text file, editable with a text editor. You'd need access to the Kindle's filesystem; this is the only article I can find it 5 minutes googling.
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 AM   #55
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I don't know why nobody has suggested this obvious solution, but the Kindle 3 can be made more book-like for less than the cost of the Kindle 1! Simply buy two Kindle 3s, and join them together with parcel tape at the back. Be sure to leave enough room so that they can swing freely and open/close like a book.

Voila! A full two-page view.

When reading, set the left hand reader to even pages, and the right hand reader to odd pages. To turn the page, simply press the page forward buttons on the left and right edges, twice each. One of the reasons that Amazon put the page turn buttons on both sides was probably to facilitate this - they may well issue a double case that supports it in the near future.

To make the experience even more book-like, why not put post-it notes on the back, to give a paper feel? You could also put some under where your nails are, for that scratch and sniff paper smell. Or, simply attach some paper to your face with parcel tape.

If the Kindle is too light or too thin, even with two of them, attach a thin paperback to the back of each using sticky-backed plastic.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #56
masmullin
masmullin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony
I emailed Jeff Bezos about this a couple of months ago. Here was the response they gave me.

====
Hello Michael,

I'm Allissa Bratager of Amazon.com's Executive Customer Relations. Jeff Bezos received your e-mail and asked me to respond on his behalf.

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying your Kindle! It's always gratifying to know when we've succeeded.

I also want to thank you for sharing your thoughts on improving the landscape feature. We really value your input, and are always happy to hear our customers' thoughts on how we can improve the services we offer. To ensure your idea's reviewed, I've shared your suggestions with our Kindle team for their consideration when planning future improvements.

Michael, thanks again for taking the time to provide this feedback to us.

Regards,

Allissa Bratager
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.com
====
Here is what I wrote

Hello Jeff

Someone on the mobileread forums (@ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91752) suggested I send you an email regarding a feature I really really want.

I am a new owner of your amazing product; the kindle dx graphite. I absolutely LLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEE it, however there seems to be an important feature that it is missing. The missing feature I speak of is the "2 column when in landscape" feature.

You see, the kindle dx is easier to hold when in landscape mode when sitting in a chair, however reading the full length of a line feels "wrong."

It's a small flaw, but I'd really really like it if you could address my concern.

Thank you for reading
Michael Mullin
masmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's because there is more white space around two pages than around one. Viewing double pages will therefore result in more page turns, and a shorter battery life.
COULD YOU EXPLAIN THAT?
What Harry means is that in a two page mode, you see LESS words on the screen. So you have to turn the page more often. In one page mode, you would get MORE words on the screen and less page turns.

More page turns = less battery and less page turns = more battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But why you want to have white spaces around the text?
you can surely adjust have near zero space?

what about font size?
On a Kindle, you are FORCED to have margins that are a bit large. There is nothing you can do to change that.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

It might work a lot better if there weren't 1/4" margins forced upon us by the firmware of the K3.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #60
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
On a Kindle, you are FORCED to have margins that are a bit large. There is nothing you can do to change that.

are you really sure? i saw on the kindleblog website about no margins at all.

the guy took photos and had a table of words in a line etc...

http://blogkindle.com/

http://blogkindle.com/kindle-hacks-and-tools/

1/2 way down the page..

Last edited by vugtitan; 08-31-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Tags
2 pages, book, display, hack, software