Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #46
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just heard from my publisher - the ebooks of Hal 2-4 are just about set to go.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #47
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Please let us know where to purchase them.* And I do hope your publisher believes in Baen-style pricing and lack of DRM (hint hint).

Xenophon

*I read and enjoyed number one. I plan to buy the rest if the price is reasonable. In this context, 'reasonable' means well below the price of normal paperback books in the US if no DRM, or practically free if they are DRM-encumbered.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #48
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They're going to be DRM-free (txt, html and Rtf to start with, all in one zip) and the price will be around A$5, or US$3.50, per book, depending on the exchange rate.

I think that more than covers both points ;-)

(It was my idea to release them as ebooks, my idea to go DRM-free, and the pricing was also my idea because paying paperback price for an ebook is clearly insane. Fortunately my publisher took me up on every point.)
Old 02-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #49
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter

(Obviously, if they put the ebooks up, two or three people buy them, and then pirate copies flood the internet then (a) they'll never do another DRM free ebook and (b) they'll never listen to my suggestions either ...)
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #50
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:01 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #51
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter

Agreed re pirated, especially if you're talking about magpies. (They stuff hard drives full of shiny, but rarely actually look at it.)

The fourth book is part-nanowrimo, from my 2006 effort. The one I'm writing now is based on my 2007 and 2008 Nanowrimo works. The first was started in 1994, so it predates nano by a few years.

I just found out they're only setting up cc payments at this stage, so I quickly put in a word for Paypal.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #52
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
Just heard from my publisher - the ebooks of Hal 2-4 are just about set to go.
Nice to hear. I wish you success in this ebook enterprise. Good price and DRM-free.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #53
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs down

Edit.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #54
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter

You'd have to barter with my publisher, not me ;-)

Keep an eye on the ebooks page though, because I do have something planned, and you won't need any septilegged arthropods. (http://www.spacejock.com.au/HalSpacejockEbooks.html)
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
$3.50 is a good price for them. I know that once I get around to reading the first book and if I do like it, I'd purchase the others. Do you need/want any help generating the LRF editions?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #56
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter

Not yet re the LRFs - my publisher will be sending out the ebooks, so I don't have direct control of the files. Same with mobi/PRC at this stage.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
Not yet re the LRFs - my publisher will be sending out the ebooks, so I don't have direct control of the files. Same with mobi/PRC at this stage.
But if I can get a good LIT or Mobi copy, I can easily convert to LRF.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #58
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #59
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Looked at the ebooks page and ended up at the history of the first book, which I found quite fascinating. Six years from start to publication? Wow.
And 12 years from start to 'proper' publication: 1994-2005

Quote:
Not to get too cyber-stalkery, but I have a couple of questions.

"Hal and Clunk were motoring" is passive? So is "Hal and Clunk motored" active? I didn't get the passive sentences thing. I checked out a site intended for primary school age children to help them with the differences between active and passive sentences but the work sheets were pickling my brain.
Technically, it would be something like 'The groundcar was being driven by Hal to the airport', or something along those lines, where it should be 'Hal was driving the groundcar to the airport.' The example of a passive sentence I gave in the history of Hal article wasn't accurate, and will now be edited...

Quote:
You say you got a duplex laser printer and ran off you own copies. How did you bind them?
I paid a professional binding shop to do them. Bear in mind I live in Western Australia, where it can be hard to find services like this. If I lived in the US I'd have used Lulu or some other POD service, as long as the finished price was low enough.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #60
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I spotted the thread had been updated by Spacejock and thought "They're out!" but my hopes were dashed as I stumbled into an English Language lesson

I only just started reading Hal Spacejock yesterday but I'm enjoying it. Hal is a hilarious utter moron and so far the pace hasn't let up for a second. It's like reading a comedy trainwreck.

I'm certainly going to be buying the ebooks when they're available.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote