Notices

Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
libprs500 Website Certificate Error

Hi

Whenever I try to access any of the website pages for libprs500 my web browser (IE7 running under Vista) refuses to connect, saying there is a Certificate error. There is a link which allows me to view the webpage, but Microsoft warns me strongly that I shouldn't click it!

Is this a temporary problem? Is it just me?

Thanks
NigelS (new user with a Sony PRS505 on the way to UK as I write)
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It's just Microsoft erring on the 'paranoid' side when presented with a self-certified certificate!

The problem is that to have a certificate that's 'signed' by one of the "chains of trust" already known to IE costs the site owner non-trivial amounts of money. That's OK if you're making serious money from the web-site, but doesn't fit the requirements of the hobbyist/open-source developer, so if they want to use https (to encrypt the data between their users browsers & their site) they have to use certificates that IE doesn't 'know'. As a result, IE shows the messages you refer to!

Personally, I've told Firefox to accept it permanently & have no concerns about doing so.

Last edited by gwynevans; 12-10-2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Use more than 1 sentence in a paragraph! :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Same advice here : Firefox has a much better way to deal with this problem
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
NigelS
Enthusiast
NigelS doesn't litterNigelS doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Thanks to both, I will bash my IE7 into submission
NigelS is offline   Reply With Quote