Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Never mind, already posted.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Well, I just rooted mine using Windows 7 (It was crazy hard!!!!)

All I can say is, wow this tablet is great now. I installed a bunch of apps, and they are all working quite well
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post

All I can say is, wow this tablet is great now. I installed a bunch of apps, and they are all working quite well
That is so great. Can you post step by step directions? I'd like to root mine too but I don't have any experience and I'm afraid that I might brick my NC.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 AM   #20
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Can you post step by step directions?
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #21
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post

Perhaps a stupid question but once the NC is rooted, where does one get the apps and how does one install them?
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #22
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Perhaps a stupid question but once the NC is rooted, where does one get the apps and how does one install them?
Well, you really just have to Google search the .apk files. You can find just about anything if you search hard enough. I'm confident that eventually somebody will get the Android Market to work though.

To install, you can use adb on your computer (see the xda developers directions). Although, once you install a file manager like Astro or Estrong, you can just put the .apk file on your micro sd card and then install it from there.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #23
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
search of .apk there are some apps like applanet.net that actually simulate the android market.

look at the xda-dev forum.
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Don't have an NC yet but based on comments here I've DLed several apps. One might be interesting to y'all - Apps_Installer_0.2.1.apk. Supposed it will install the apps from your SD card although it may be easy enough without it. I'd be interested in hearing is it works (and how well) on the rooted NC.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #25
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

I use Astro file manager for that, and it works nicely. The problem often is getting those APK-files since it's not possible to access the Android market yet. Takes a bit of searching on what you may call "less legal websites"...
Old 12-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #26
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Don't have an NC yet but based on comments here I've DLed several apps. One might be interesting to y'all - Apps_Installer_0.2.1.apk. Supposed it will install the apps from your SD card although it may be easy enough without it. I'd be interested in hearing is it works (and how well) on the rooted NC.
Installing apps is a no brainer even though you have to use the command line.

One thing I did notice with the last couple of apps I installed: I had to reboot the NC in order for the apps to appear in the Extras menu page. Anyone else experience this?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM   #27
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Yeah, that happens with most apps you install to it. No sweat, install a bunch of apps and then reboot.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
One thing I did notice with the last couple of apps I installed: I had to reboot the NC in order for the apps to appear in the Extras menu page. Anyone else experience this?
There is a workaround for that, you can kill the launcher. The steps are, from within adb shell:

$ ps

(note the PID of the launcher, com.bn.nook.applauncher)

$ kill <pid>

Then when you click on "Extras" the launcher will reload the apps.

Last edited by afv011; 12-09-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #29
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Well, I would say that the workaround is as much of a pain as rebooting...but then I'm lazy!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Well, I would say that the workaround is as much of a pain as rebooting...but then I'm lazy!
Well, you could script it and make it a single command, if you were so inclined.