Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
bspill
bspill began at the beginning.

Sony books on Nook Color

I just purchased a Nook Color. Have almost a hundred books purchased for my Sony PRS 900. Since they are both Epub, is there any way to load books purchased from Sony to the Nook Color?
bspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
syncron
syncron began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspill View Post
I just purchased a Nook Color. Have almost a hundred books purchased for my Sony PRS 900. Since they are both Epub, is there any way to load books purchased from Sony to the Nook Color?
B&N answer: No, you can't.
Truthful answer: Hit and miss, the Adobe DRM in B&N and Sony eBooks are implemented differently which breaks support for both NOOK and NOOKcolor. Only non-DRMed Sony books will work on NOOKcolor or you would need to strip the DRM prior to sideloading it to NOOKcolor.

Last edited by syncron; 11-20-2010 at 10:47 AM.
syncron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncron View Post
B&N answer: No, they will not.
Truthful answer: Hit and miss, the Adobe DRM in B&N and Sony eBooks are implemented differently which breaks support for both NOOK and NOOKcolor. Only non-DRMed Sony books will work on NOOKcolor or you would need to strip the DRM prior to sideloading it to NOOKcolor.
I don't know about the nook color, but the regular nook will handle Sony ePub (with DM) no problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
syncron
syncron began at the beginning.

Device: NOOKcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't know about the nook color, but the regular nook will handle Sony ePub (with DM) no problem.
Oh, my bad. Sony books do use Adobe ADEPT DRM which is supported on NOOK and can be managed using Digital Editions. But at this point in time, ADE doesn't seem to authorize NOOKcolor properly so there is no way to import your library onto it. Regardless, if you ask Barnes & Noble, they will still probably tell you it isn't compatible.
syncron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncron View Post
Oh, my bad. Sony books do use Adobe ADEPT DRM which is supported on NOOK and can be managed using Digital Editions. But at this point in time, ADE doesn't seem to authorize NOOKcolor properly so there is no way to import your library onto it. Regardless, if you ask Barnes & Noble, they will still probably tell you it isn't compatible.
next week when B&N is doing a roll out for the nook color, I may go and ask them about ePub from other vendors. That's an important feature. If the nook color is tied into B&N, then it's almost useless for those that do not know about DRM stripping.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
next week when B&N is doing a roll out for the nook color, I may go and ask them about ePub from other vendors. That's an important feature. If the nook color is tied into B&N, then it's almost useless for those that do not know about DRM stripping.
The Nook Color supports ePub with Adobe DRM. You can read your Sony ePub books on the Nook Color.
If you do not get the message to authorize the Nook Color in ADE, than the solution is the same as with the Nook Classic. Delete the ADE folders on the Nook Color and try again.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For instructions on how to authorize any Reader via USB, see Books on Board Help Page.

For Sony ebooks in particular, make sure Adobe Digital Editions is registered to the same AdobeID as you are using in the Sony Store (the easiest check is that you can read DRMed Sony ebooks in Desktop ADE).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
bspill
bspill began at the beginning.

Worked perfectly. I registered the device with digital editions and copied to the book to Files/Books. Thanks
bspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
So, I already have my ADE authorized for my Sony reader. To authorize it to a nookColor, then I would just have to start my ADE, plug in the NookColor and I should get a request to authorize it popping up on my screen? Will it automatically use the same Adobe ID that I had used for my Sony reader?
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yes, that's all you need to do. It should recognize and ask if you want to authorize. Same Adobe ID.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote