Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
machstem
machstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo
covers disappear after 'sleep'

We have two kobo touches here and for whatever reason, my wife's kobo touch will eventually lose its cover.

We bought the book and used calibre to change the style (after making a DRMfree copy to work with) since it wasn't filling the borders.

I also didn't like the cover so I changed it; could this be the issue?

Any tips/ideas would be great.

Thanks
machstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
machstem
machstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of lightmachstem is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo
I also noticed that even though I went and changed the cover in calibre, erased the book on the device, started the device up, ensured the book was gone, connect and resend the device; the problem persists.

Another weird thing is the 'Reading' page doesn't even show the book she is reading as one listed and now if we put the device to sleep, we see another book's cover instead.

The last time she had this issue, I had to wipe the device to factory default and the exact book worked fine again. Is there a way to clear out the db and make sure it's cleaned up? Any tips/tricks?

It's almost as if the reader doesn't recognize that she is reading.

She also mentions that if she presses the home button and THEN puts the device to sleep, she has to go back into her library, browse to the book and then she can continue reading.

Again, my kobo touch doesn't do this with any of these books.

Thanks
machstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From the second post, I think the database on the device is corrupt. This stores information about the books including the reading status. That status is used to work out which book the cover should be displayed for.

The fix for this is to logout on the device. This replaces the current database with a new one and then repopulates it from the books on the device. You will lose the reading status, but that isn't being maintained properly anyway. You can try my Kobo Utilities plugin in calibre to store and restore the reading status, but I suspect it won't be able to read the database any more.

If that isn't it, then some more information is needed. What firmware? Are the books on the SD card? What book format? As you mention calibre, are you using the extended driver?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Did you manually set the time? If not, try that. It can affect the things you've mentioned, especially if the time is sometimes being temporarily "fixed" by wifi or connecting to a PC. If the time is not manually set, it will only be right some of the time. That can affect the order the kobo thinks things are being read.

Probably davidfor is right, but since not only I, but others have had the same issues when the time was set wrong, I thought I'd mention a possible easy fix.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote