Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
thetay24
thetay24 began at the beginning.

Device: Google Nexus 7
[Android App] Nexus 7 Problems? Mac Problems?

I'm using the Android app and when I tap "connect" it says "Syncing With Calibre" and "Waiting for Calibre" and it sits there for a few seconds then it says "Not connected to Calibre". What am I doing wrong? Is it because I'm using Calibre on a Mac?
thetay24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC works on a Mac.

First thing to check: are you running CC 1.10? If so, then upgrade calibre to today's release. There are some improvements in connection and in the information available to you. CC C1.10 and today's calibre add a second technique for automatic connection that will not be blocked by home routers. We hope that helps.

If that doesn't help then take a look at FAQ #1.

The most common problem is a person's home network not allowing mDNS, a technique CC uses to automatically connect. In this case, the solution is often entering calibre's IP address and port into CC. A common problem is entering the wrong IP address and port, and in particular entering the port of the content server.

A second common problem is having a VPN (virtual private network) enabled on the computer running calibre. This can prevent CC from connecting.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
thetay24
thetay24 began at the beginning.

Device: Google Nexus 7
Updated to todays Calibre release and it works fine now! Thanks for the quick response and help!
thetay24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
unfortunately todays release did not fix the issue for me.
I am running Calibre on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
I am not able to connect to this Mac.
Fortunately I have a second one still running OS X 10.7.5. The Android App can connect to this Mac no problem. So I think I can rule out router issues.
When I turn on the wireless device connection in Calibre on both Macs, the Android App actually detects both. Unfortunately connection to the 10.8 Mac is blocked somehow.

Is it possible that something in Mountain Lion is overzealous and tries to block the "evil" intruder from the outside here?
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
unfortunately todays release did not fix the issue for me.
I am running Calibre on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
I am not able to connect to this Mac.
Fortunately I have a second one still running OS X 10.7.5. The Android App can connect to this Mac no problem. So I think I can rule out router issues.
When I turn on the wireless device connection in Calibre on both Macs, the Android App actually detects both. Unfortunately connection to the 10.8 Mac is blocked somehow.

Is it possible that something in Mountain Lion is overzealous and tries to block the "evil" intruder from the outside here?
I don't own a mac so I can't say for certain, but it really sounds as if you have a firewall turned on that is blocking the connection. You might need to set a fixed port in calibre and permit that port through the firewall. Using a fixed port in calibre does not force you to enter that port in CC. If CC can "see" the machine and if the traffic can pass through the firewall, it should connect.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote