Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Alantra
Enthusiast
Alantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Reading Public Library books in Aldiko

I decided to start a thread on this as the other one seems to be hijacking someone elses thread.

My Question -> How do I read a book from the Public Library in Aldiko?

I found this set of instructions from Cdesja5 in this post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164044

Install Aldiko 2.0 :

http://aldiko.zendesk.com/attachment...d-2.00.127.apk

You should set up your ADE user in Aldiko first before doing anything else, go to settings by tapping the menu button and then select Adobe DRM on the screen.
You set up the Overdrive web page as a catalogue by entering the URL, catalog button is in the Home menu.
I don't think you will be able to move them from the Overdrive app to Aldiko, you set up a catalog for your library's Overdrive section at your signon page by entering the URL in the Aldiko catalogue window and that will then allow you to navigate the library site on your web browser (within Aldiko), either choosing to go to your account with your holds/bookshelf etc. or just "shopping" for a book on the site. When you have a specific book to load from the bookshelf you click your download button and Aldiko asks you to sign in to ADE and the book then downloads into Aldiko. You can set up collections in the LIST menu by using the tab at the top.
I have several "catalogs", one for calibre, one for the Toronto Library, one for Kobo, one for BooksOnBoard. I put my library books into their own collection as I download them so that when they expire they are not mixed up with the others and can be easily found later to delete.

I tried all of this and thought I had it figured out but when I get to the point where I checkout and hit the DOWNLOAD button.. nothing happens.

I then emailed for support from Aldiko and this was thier response - I don't have an SD card so I can't do that either.

Can anyone offer advice to get this to work for me? Thanks..Lori

Read eBooks from public libraries

Aldiko
posted this on Dec-30 2010 15:54

You can use the Aldiko Book Reader to read eBooks borrowed from public libraries. To do so,

(1) Go to your local public library’s website on your computer, select any eBook in Adobe ePub or Adobe PDF format, check out and then download the eBooks files. Normally, libraries will offer you an acsm file for each eBook.

(2) Put the acsm file in the SD card of your device.

(3) Download and install a file manager app called "ASTRO" from the Android market. Use the file manager app to locate the acsm file.

(4) Tap on the acsm file in the file manager app. If you have verified your device with an Adobe ID already, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko. If you haven’t verified your device with an Adobe ID before before, you should see a pop-up window which asks you to authorize your device with an Adobe ID. After authorization, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko.
Alantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You do have an sd card, it would be the Vox's own internal memory which is stated as being 8 gb. It is called extsd if you are looking for it with a file manager like Astro.
However, I guarantee that you don't need Astro, (although I do have it, I don't need it to download books) as when the library's Overdrive url is set up as a catalog in Aldiko, it opens Overdrive and you can download directly into Aldiko.

I am thinking however that perhaps a little tweak on where your Aldiko app itself is located on the Vox is what allows you to do this.
Tap on the Vox's menu button, tap on Manage Apps and then tap on Aldiko. In the middle of the screen there is a box that says "Move to SD card". Tap on that and then app will be stored on the Vox's SD card instead of on the reader itself. Aldiko should then automatically save the books on the Vox's SD card (which is actually called extsd were you to look for it in Astro).
The link I am using to create the catalog (that works right now for me...) is
http://toronto.lib.overdrive.com/
If you use a different library, of course your link will be different.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Alantra
Enthusiast

Thanks for answering me so quickly.

I tried what you said but my app was already in the right place. I tried moving to Ereader and back to SD card and it still doesn't work.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Alantra
Enthusiast

I don't know what Astro is in order to follow the other directions.

Why is this thing so difficult for me?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't know but we all have different stuff and different settings on our voxes so it stands to reason that these things will happen...and that we can't figure out why in a flash...
Astro is a free file manager app that allows you to look at the files on the vox's drives and open them etc.
try this link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3bsocdor6s8dihb

ps, just in case you haven't done that, did you go into Aldiko, settings, adobe drm, and input your Adobe Digital Editions id? You can't download library books into Aldiko without it.

also, are you browsing to the library's download link from within your Aldiko catalog entry which then opened the browser to find the book?

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-14-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Alantra
Enthusiast

I am getting ready to toss this thing in the trash! VERY frustrated!

I am now trying to download Astro as per the Aldiko instructions. I used the link that you have provided Cdesja5 and it downloads. I tap on it as I think that it needs to be installed then yes?

After tapping it brings up HTML View and a loading bar which hangs for a while, then it goes back to the download page at Media fire.

At this point there are no new apps on my Kobo the downloaded file is gone and I am left questioning what I am doing wrong!

*sigh*
Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alantra View Post
I am getting ready to toss this thing in the trash! VERY frustrated!

I am now trying to download Astro as per the Aldiko instructions. I used the link that you have provided Cdesja5 and it downloads. I tap on it as I think that it needs to be installed then yes?

After tapping it brings up HTML View and a loading bar which hangs for a while, then it goes back to the download page at Media fire.

At this point there are no new apps on my Kobo the downloaded file is gone and I am left questioning what I am doing wrong!

*sigh*
have you gone into the Vox settings to "applications" and ticked off "unknown sources" (to allow installation of non-Market applications)?
If you haven't that's probably why nothing is happening...
Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Alantra
Enthusiast

There is a check mark in the box yes.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard

hummm...are you not able to add any apps at all or just this one?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Alantra
Enthusiast

I am not able to add this one apparently, but I have dloaded Aldiko and overdrive.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard

go to the Vox menu, tap notifications: do you see your download listed there?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Alantra
Enthusiast

Update!

Application Installed. I used a different location for the file.

Now to see if I can install the library book from my computer.

Wish me luck
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard

try this link instead, middle of the page. Will lead you to another screen where you tap "click here" (near QR code).
http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...o-file-manager
Old 01-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard

Great! yes, good luck!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Alantra
Enthusiast

Done and Done!

Finally worked I am now off to read my library book!

THANK YOU!!! You were a fantastic help!!

Lori