Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #421
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Just a heads up, noticed Argos UK ebay outlet are/were selling black Voyager origami covers for £17 normally £40.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #422
Leilani
Leilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with others

Device: K3, Voyage, KOA2
Leather Book-Style Case, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsicole View Post
That might be true Harry, but the fact that book-style cases from other suppliers appear so highly in the results list by popularity when you search Kindle Voyage case on Amazon indicates to me that people are seeking book style cases, and Amazon are missing out on those potential sales.

I can't be the only one who doesn't want a case like a flip chart!
You're not, I check every other day or so to see if Amazon has come to its senses. I'd prefer a leather case - especially considering how much the Voyage was. I don't know - I've been looking at the Oberons but just can't bring myself to spend even more than the Origami.

I temporarily (now going on two months) picked up a Bear Motion sleeve to at least get some protection while transporting ('cuz we take our reader everywhere, right!?) and I'm hoping the new year will bring some new options. Crossing my fingers.
Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #423
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani View Post
You're not, I check every other day or so to see if Amazon has come to its senses. I'd prefer a leather case - especially considering how much the Voyage was. I don't know - I've been looking at the Oberons but just can't bring myself to spend even more than the Origami.

I temporarily (now going on two months) picked up a Bear Motion sleeve to at least get some protection while transporting ('cuz we take our reader everywhere, right!?) and I'm hoping the new year will bring some new options. Crossing my fingers.
Get a case and ditch the sleeve. The sleeve does nothing for you when you have the Reader out of the sleeve to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #424
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I've accomplished nothing for 2 days except get more and more frustrated looking for a case for the Voyage that will be mine come Christmas! I've been using a real leather Octovo case on a Kindle Keyboard - love that case - wish it would fit the Voyage. It has everything I want in a case. It's real leather (those over-priced and (to me) obnoxiously shaped origami cases by Amazon are NOT real leather except for the expensive limited edition one). It has a magnetic wake/sleep as well as a stretchy band closure for extra security. It has a pocket on the inside of the front cover that I can slip my hand into that makes holding it one handed easier. I don't know if Octovo will be making cases for the Voyage.

An Oberon would fit the bill, I think, except they're using an older model with the magnet moved. To those who talked to Oberon - are they going to actually make a case specifically to fit the Voyage, or just re-doing their web page to show better pics?
I'm tempted, at this point, even though they are oversized for the Voyage. At least I know my Voyage would be protected. In one of the oversized Oberon covers, are all the things one needs to access possible except for the rear off/on button? How is the Voyage held in the Oberon cover? Are they putting wool on the inside front cover still?

I had an Oberon for my Kindle DX for a while, but it had the wool felt on the inside and I'm very allergic to wool, so I sold it and bought a Noreve instead. I should remember how the DX was held in the Oberon cover, but I don't, and I can't tell from the pics a few pages back.

Does anyone know of one of the currently offered cheap cases that has a pocket or strap on the inside cover to hold onto? I can't even find that.

Like I said . . . I'm frustrated beyond words. I don't want to read a nekkid Voyage - with my luck, that would be the first time I ever dropped a Kindle. Any suggestions for a cheapie with a pocket on the inside cover would be great, and so would answers to what I asked about the Oberon cover.

When I say I'm frustrated, I don't mean just a little bit frustrated - I mean I'm to the point of wanting to throw things or scream (neither of which would help in the least).
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #425
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Leilani and Alsicole we seem to be a secretive group of readers
Reading Forgotten Realms novels well in your thirties requires just as much secrecy I'm afraid... All hail the ereader
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #426
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon do an awful lot of usability testing. The fact that they decided to go with the Origami-style case almost certainly indicates that it's what the majority of their tested said that they preferred. If there's one thing Amazon are good at, it's marketing.
I wonder why the preference of "The Majority" is almost always, in all things, the opposite of my own.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #427
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
It's real leather (those over-priced and (to me) obnoxiously shaped origami cases by Amazon are NOT real leather except for the expensive limited edition one).
Not true. There's a non-limited-edition leather Origami case:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Orig.../dp/B00HZVDMTS

I have it and like it a lot. It is without question real leather.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #428
Clawdia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Not true. There's a non-limited-edition leather Origami case:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Orig.../dp/B00HZVDMTS

I have it and like it a lot. It is without question real leather.
Sorry - my bad.

I was so put off by the design that I stopped reading after the first Origami cover on the product page list, and the first one is the PU stuff. There is indeed a leather Origami. It just isn't what I want.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #429
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Clawdia - as with almost every company not using the molded tray way of holding the device, Oberon is just going with a 'small e reader case', which is big enough for the Touch. Take a look at the photos they now have of the devices in the cases. There's quite a bit of excess around the edges.

Ed. to add: it certainly would be well protected - the covers are quite thick. Personally I would like something more streamlined that compliments the smaller dimensions of the V. I'm spoiled by the Amazon PW case which was, to me, such a good design.

Last edited by Pangolin; 12-22-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #430
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
Clawdia - as with almost every company not using the molded tray way of holding the device, Oberon is just going with a 'small e reader case', which is big enough for the Touch. Take a look at the photos they now have of the devices in the cases. There's quite a bit of excess around the edges.
Is the rear power button of the Voyage accessible in such a case? Does it have a sleep magnet?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #431
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
I would not want a case that costs almost as much or more then the Reader. It's just silly to spend that much (IMHO). The cost of an Oberon Kindle case is $74.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #432
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would not want a case that costs almost as much or more then the Reader. It's just silly to spend that much (IMHO). The cost of an Oberon Kindle case is $74.
Depends what value you place on what's on the reading device. For me, the inconvenience of breaking my reader while I was on a long trip away from home would be far greater than the cost of a replacement, so an expensive case which provides an excellent level of protection (as the Oberon cases do) may be worth spending the money on. It's all down to the individual.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #433
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Many times my purse is worth much more than the contents. No relationship really
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #434
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Many times my purse is worth much more than the contents. No relationship really
I hear that.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #435
Clawdia
Connoisseur

Quote:
Is the rear power button of the Voyage accessible in such a case? Does it have a sleep magnet?
Power button accessibility - no. But I never power down a Kindle unless it starts acting wonky. I think I've powered down my Kindle Keyboard less than half a dozen times since I got it years ago.

Sleep magnet - yes.

Protection factor - maximum, I believe.

I got one of the little cheapie cases as a "make do" until I can get something better today - boy, is it awful, made in China and smells like it, and is too small to hold comfortably, for me.

I think a case that's a little too big, like the Oberon, might be just what I need.

I don't remember the last time my purse wasn't worth more than what is in it. In this instance, an Oberon would cost less than half what the Voyage costs,
and past experience tells me that a used Oberon cover can be resold for pretty close to what I'll pay for it.