Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Next PalmOS delayed until end of 2008

I think Palm just can't keep up with the competition.

Look at the Foleo. Palm announced a rather nice device that was supposed to integrate with your smart phone. I'm sure there was a market for it. But then Asus announced the eee, which does more and cost less. The potential market for the Foleo evaporated. Palm's newest product was a generation behind not just the bleeding edge, but the mainstream!

Now we find out that Palm's next OS will not be released until the end of next year. I think this is the beginning of the death of Palm. Why?

My Prediction: By next fall, the hardware will have advanced enough that there will be multiple handheld devices running XP and or slightly modified common Linux distro. If you can buy a device that can run lots of Linux software, or lots of Windows software, why would you get a Palm device?

The opinions are my own, but I got the information here:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/02/p...ng-until-2008/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/03/palm_os_delay/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This was my first real attempt at an editorial. Writing isn't my strong suit. I am working on it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I, for one, am glad to hear your thoughts on Palm. I have slightly better hope for their future, but the recent track record makes me wonder if they can pull it off. When they say they will have the new OS by end of 2008, it seems to mean "by 2010 if we don't give up on it first" in Palm-speak. On the other hand the new investment group with ex-Apple folks may bring a new level of success.

My biggest concern about the whole smart phone market is that everyone is going to be chasing the less functional and glitzy "consumer devices". Hopefully companies will still bring business class devices, but with multimedia. It would serve them well as so-called business features are likely to become mainstream over time.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
The links to sources are great. It is a sad thing. But Palm needs something that will shake up the world a bit. I would buy another Palm if it remains compatible with my existing data and some of my apps. But a new operating system? I don't know. Why? One of the things I liked about Palm was the slick, easy to use OS. Palm grew from Apple roots and was pretty much the pocket Apple (sorry Newton).

Jeff Hawkins is deep into AI concepts. Maybe something will come from there that will put Palm out front again.

Keep up the editorials Nate!
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Didn't I just say I wanted to move my data and apps from my existing Palm? The Toronto company Style Tap has released a Palm emulator for Windows Mobile that allows Palm apps to run from the Style Tap launcher.

The company promises versions for Windows smart phones and Symbian as well.

There are reviews here and here and here and here.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote