Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
LCAubin
LCAubin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Series name & #

First, my apologies if this has been discussed already. I have read many of the threads but do NOT see my specific issue. I recently created a massive library and now managing the tedious job updating the metadata - one at a time - been using calibre for about 7 months. I just discovered the feature of being able to check metadata for many books at once. However, I noticed that the "SERIES NAME" and "SERIES NUMBER" do not update (even though it is checked). Please note I am in the library itself and NOT looking on the Kindle (yet, just to be clear). Series name & # are important details so I read them in the right order. Please tell me, is there an easy way to update this info as well? Am I doing something wrong or perhaps missing an option that should be changed? I have read the help book, looked at all the options, googled thoroughly.

I do not want to look each book up 1 by 1 in Goodreads to see the Series name and number - that is not at all efficient. Please help me!

Last edited by LCAubin; 04-09-2014 at 06:34 PM.
LCAubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The metadata you can download depends on the site, and most metadata sites do not have series. I think the Goodreads metadata plugin does provide series info, but offhand I can't say for sure.

If series is checked but your configured sources don't report back on the series, there is nothing you can do other than find a source that has series info.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-09-2014 at 06:48 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I like the Fantastic Fiction plug in for getting the Series and # in series.
I haven't used the Goodreads one, I'll have to check it out!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
LCAubin

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply. I will try again. So if I understand correctly, series input details, IN CALIBRE itself, are actually activated via the plug in options? OK, I will check them out in more detail. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAubin View Post
Thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply. I will try again. So if I understand correctly, series input details, IN CALIBRE itself, are actually activated via the plug in options? OK, I will check them out in more detail. Thank you.
Inside the Configure Metadata download pop-up you need to configure each source by selecting the source and clicking Configure selected source button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	configuremetadata.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	121495  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It would be nice if it was possible to download metadata in bulk and be sure it was correct and complete. My impression is that bulk metadata download does not eliminate the need to manually check, update and normalize metadata. That includes everything from author spelling and initials punctuation to titles and series information. Even if the books are unambiguously identified using ISBN.

This can mean a significant amount of manual work for a large library. Days and weeks of work. You will most likely have to at least manually look up the bibliography of each author, to make sure metadata is correct.

I prefer to add books a few at a time and completely fix metadata and covers so the main library always is perfect, instead of having a big library full of junk metadata that I fix a little at a time. I add the books I am most interested in reading first, and typically also books by the same author if possible.

Last edited by Adoby; 04-10-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
LCAubin

Thanks everyone for your help. It's all good and running now. I added both Goodreads & Fantastic Fiction. Then I configured the metadata, as per the screenshot. I did my first metadata update for a group of books and the series details were added - thx DoctorOhh

BTW Adoby, I would never trust an update update, without allowing me to check first. I am too particular about the fine details. ONce it is done scanning, I am given the option to check each books metadata and I do :-) This takes a bit of time, but much less time than doing it all individually, checking against the Goodreads website and manually typing the series name & #. I am a happy camper and I love calibre :-)

Tags
metadata edit, multiple files, series name, series number