Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #18976
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Finished up Sand by Hugh Howey. Really like the concept of sand diving with tanks and regulators.
Now starting Robin Hobb's Liveship trilogy, first up Ship of Magic.
I loved the Liveship trilogy. I'm putting Sand on my TBR list.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #18977
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I loved the Liveship trilogy. I'm putting Sand on my TBR list.
Glad to hear it, I really like the Farseer trilogy and am looking forward to this one too.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #18978
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan the other day. It's such fun re-reading The Wheel of Time.

I'm currently reading one of the Hard Case Crime books I bought on sale many months ago. Getting Off: A Novel of Sex and Violence by Lawrence Block. Well, it's just as the title says, a novel of sex and violence.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #18979
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
...I'm currently reading one of the Hard Case Crime books I bought on sale many months ago. Getting Off: A Novel of Sex and Violence by Lawrence Block. Well, it's just as the title says, a novel of sex and violence.
Doesn't that describe most modern novels? It certainly applies to the one we're reading in the MobileRead Book Club this month.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #18980
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Glad to hear it, I really like the Farseer trilogy and am looking forward to this one too.
I hope you enjoy it! I have to admit, though, having a sailor husband might have heightened my love of the series
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #18981
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm listening to The Light Fantastic, book 2 in the Diskworld series by Terry Pratchett. Pretty funny so far and features the continuing adventures of failed wizard Rincewind and his charge, the tourist Twoflower.

Tomorrow, I take a relative to a long doc appointment and will be reading more of The Day of the Jackal on my kindle. I'm just over halfway through and it is very suspenseful now. Who will live? Who will die? Don't know yet, but there is predator and prey on both sides now.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #18982
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm going to read a bit of basic SF - Sassinak by Elizabeth Moon and Anne McCaffrey. I read this many years ago as a pBook when it first came out, but have completely forgotten it, so looking forward to it.
Sigh. This is an OK book, I certainly don't have any particular desire to abandon it. But it really isn't up to the quality level either of these excellent writers usually produces. Really only a 3-star book. I'll likely finish it tonight, but then I'm going to have to find something a bit better, I hope.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #18983
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I very much enjoyed my read of the Amazon freebie, Origins! This was the fist published book written by Mark Henrikson and I'm afraid it shows quite glaringly in his writing. The concept and the story made it very very interesting and kept me wanting to continue despite the flaws. And boy oh boy the book sure was full of flaws! There were quite a few misspellings. For instance, thought instead of though, of instead of off, that kind of thing. Also almost 1/3 of the chapters were not in the TOC, it just skipped them. Thankfully these chapters weren't missing from the book. He sprinkles his dialog that is supposedly ocurring 5000 years ago in Egypt with wording and phrasing that reads like it's being spoken today. Anyway despite all of this I thought it quite worth reading.

Next, a rest. Then maybe back to Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality for a while.
Took my rest, then I found that Centurion's Rise (Origins #2) by Mark Henrikson was available to borrow from Amazon Prime lending! So now I'm 35% into it!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #18984
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
Currently Rading

Well I am currently reading Sweetheart, Sweetheart by Bernard Taylor which I borrowed from OpenLibrary.org. I am loving this book and hope to finish it in the same emotions.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #18985
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I'm going to read a bit of basic SF - Sassinak by Elizabeth Moon and Anne McCaffrey. I read this many years ago as a pBook when it first came out, but have completely forgotten it, so looking forward to it.
Quote:
Sigh. This is an OK book, I certainly don't have any particular desire to abandon it. But it really isn't up to the quality level either of these excellent writers usually produces. Really only a 3-star book. I'll likely finish it tonight, but then I'm going to have to find something a bit better, I hope.
Finished. And it didn't get any better. I may well pass on the later ones in the series. Kinda sad. I remember liking these books originally. But this one felt sophomoric now.

On to something I know I'll enjoy -- Dead Man's Chest, by Kerry Greenwood. This is number 18 of the Phryne Fisher series, and it's already starting out well. What a joy to come back to something really well written.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #18986
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is Odd Hours, book 4 of the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. Another grab from my library.
I haven't quite finished, but I am really enjoying the Odd Thomas books, this has been another good one. I should finish either at lunch if I have time or this evening.

Next will be Jack Reacher #2, Die Trying, also from my library.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #18987
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'm currently reading and almost done with The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I had tried listening to this as an audio book but couldn't get into it that way for some reason. Well, I picked up a physical copy at the used bookstore and am actually quite enjoying it and am almost done. I would love to see Terry Gilliam make a movie of this...
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #18988
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I started reading The Secret Pact by Mildred Wirt. It's book #6 in the Penny Parker Mystery series.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #18989
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Don't Poke The Bear by John Locke.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #18990
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I had a quick read last night - started and already finished Death Cloud by Andrew Lane, first in his "Young Sherlock Holmes" series.

As a historical kids' mystery/adventure, I thought it pretty good. I enjoyed it; I felt it had good pacing and a good amount of educational information sprinkled into the text without it becoming overbearing. A good, rather original plot, too.

My only (but not so small) problem was that I felt the likeable, personable, nice, interested-in-pretty-girls lad who went by the name of Sherlock Holmes, brother of Mycroft, and was taught to deduce stuff by his American mentor, was ... well, interpretations of what Sherlock Holmes the detective would have been like as a teen will obviously differ and no one can really claim to be "right" there, but this was an interpretation that didn't quite work for me. I can't claim to be extremely familiar with "canon" Holmes, but without the name, it would never have occurred to me who the character was supposed to be.

Other than that, I think it'd be a book that many of its target group (pre-teen and younger teen boys, mostly, but also girls who are into action/adventure mysteries) would enjoy it quite a lot.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote