Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #18886
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now for something completely different: The Unfinished Clue by Georgette Heyer. Her 17th novel, and part of my bulk buy when they were on offer at BooksOnBoard in August 2012.
And a delight. I even worked out who the murderer must be, although not exactly who the murderer was*. And the romance sub-plot was nicely done. And I really liked the mercenary Lola. So straight-forward!

Next up: Hope Reborn by David Drake. The omnibus of the first two Raj Whitehall novels, which I had thought I must have read at some point, but I'm not sure I ever have (this January 2013 omnibus is their first appearance in ebook form, I think)

*This seems contradictory, but isn't.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #18887
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Next up: Hope Reborn by David Drake. The omnibus of the first two Raj Whitehall novels, which I had thought I must have read at some point, but I'm not sure I ever have (this January 2013 omnibus is their first appearance in ebook form, I think)
No, not the first ebook release. The original 5-book "General" series was originally released by Baen in ebook form in Feb and Mar 2003, as two omnibuses called "Warlord" (books 1-2) and "Conqueror" (books 3-5) respectively. ie, "Hope Reborn" is a re-issue of "Warlord".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #18888
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjeKtWEREWOLF View Post
I have just begun 'patient zero' by Jonathan Mayberry. So far so good; basically a Jack Reacher zombie story......nice.
Jack Reacher you say? Zombies you say? I am off to have a look - watch out TBR list!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #18889
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I finally started Wool by Hugh Howey. I like it so much!
Hope you like it. I have got stalled on the Third Shift book, and need a good kick to get restarted. Not sure why...I guess I just need to be in the sci-fi mood, and right now I'm reading some non-fic and thrillers.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #18890
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I just finished Wool. Frankly, I was a little disappointed after a lot of the hype I've read. I was a good story, although I was over half-way in before I was really into the story or the characters. I found the writing a little flat.
I've now switched gears entirely and will be reading Annabel by Kathleen Winter. This is a novel about an intersex child born in remote Labrador in 1968.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #18891
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Currently reading The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan to continue my Wheel of Time re-read. This might take awhile...
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #18892
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Finished "Old Man River: The Mississippi River in North American History" by Paul Schneider. i enjoyed it as a summary of Mississippi valley history, although if you want more detail, you would need to go elsewhere, like "Life on The Mississippi". The book does have an extensive bibliography and source notes.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #18893
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished "reading" The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer, narrated by Eve Matheson. Like all Heyer's a pleasure. Meanwhile, reading The Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters, and also reading The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein. This is a re-read of a much beloved book I originally read back in the late 80's or early 90's, and the first in a series that I thoroughly enjoyed. It looks like Ms. Kirstein is re-releasing them, finally, as eBooks and I hope they all become available. I'm more than ready to do another pass through this remarkable series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #18894
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
As I am getting Cress by Marissa Meyer tomorrow - a long-awaited book that I'm eager to start reading as soon as I am done with work tomorrow evening - and I finished my previous book last night, I chose a short story today: Beekeeping for Beginners, part of the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King.

I don't think this would necessarily make a good introduction to the series, even though time-wise it's placed right in the beginning of the first novel, but as a fan of the series, I enjoyed it very much - although, as is almost always the case with short stories for me, I did wish it had been a longer tale instead.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #18895
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, another book purchased in January during one of Amazon's sales.
That was a very quick read, but very fun. I will need to get the next one when it is available (Fall 2014 supposedly). Another on-going series by Brandon Sanderson, I am not sure how he keeps up with all of these. At least WoT is finished now.

Still nothing from the library, so I am not sure what will be next.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #18896
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, not the first ebook release. The original 5-book "General" series was originally released by Baen in ebook form in Feb and Mar 2003, as two omnibuses called "Warlord" (books 1-2) and "Conqueror" (books 3-5) respectively. ie, "Hope Reborn" is a re-issue of "Warlord".
Goodness me, so it is. It was becoming more and more familiar, and checking in calibre, I do have Warlord, and it's marked as read, too!

So I've discarded that, fun though it is, an moved on the Analog SFF, Apr 2014 edited by Tevor Quachri.

This contains the last part of the current serial, so I'm also reading the first three parts from the other three issues as well (I leave serials until I have all the parts, so I can read them as a whole).
Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #18897
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Jack Kerley's Carson Ryder series.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #18898
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Currently reading The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan to continue my Wheel of Time re-read. This might take awhile...

Only too true!

I'm over 2/3 of the way through the biography Khrushchev by Edward Crankshaw. A decent read about Khrushchev himself but flawed overall in how the author drops so many other politicians' names with little or no explanation of who these people are.

I've also begun rereading Voltaire's Candide. I'll probably start Voltaire Almighty by Roger Pearson soon.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #18899
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
I had Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters on my TBR list since last year and after reading all the recommendations on this thread I decided to read it now. It's a wonderful book and I love the style in which it's written.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #18900
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Analog SFF, Apr 2014 edited by Tevor Quachri.

This contains the last part of the current serial, so I'm also reading the first three parts from the other three issues as well (I leave serials until I have all the parts, so I can read them as a whole).
Still on the serial (half way through the third part). I must admit I'm impressed. A fascinating solution to the problem of the amount of time required for interstellar travel.