Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
snow-raven
snow-raven began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/calibre/GoodReader
Adding Languages to Basic Metadata

I'm using calibre to collect my work resources, including several Alaska Native language resources. I'd like to tag these with the corresponding languages, but I noticed Yupik and Dena'Ina are missing from the list. (Inupiaq, Tlinget, and Gwich'in are there, thank you!). It doesn't appear that I can change this list myself, nor did I find any plugins for this. Is there somewhere these choices are discussed, or can I request additions?

(I'm a new calibri user and new to this forum, so I apologize if any of this is discussed elsewhere. If so, I've not been able to find it.)

Thank you,
snow-raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The list comes from the ISO 639-3 standard. If the languages of interest for you are not in that standard, then you will need to make a separate column via Preferences->Add your own columns to keep track of them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Looking at the Wikipedia:WikiProject Languages/List of ISO 639-3 language codes (2019) shows multiple entries for Yupik with Central Alaskan Yupik (esu) as an example.

Heading off to ISO 639 Code Tables and enter yupik in the Language Name(s) containing search box comes with with the same 5 entries for Yupik languages. esu is likely the one of those that you want (Central Alaskan Yupik).

Searching for Dena'Ina shows no entries. A quick Google search on 'Dena'Ina language' shows it is also known as Tanaina. Entering tanaina in the seach box comes up with tfn as the ISO 639-3 code.

Neither of those choices show in the calibre language listing.

Google can be your best friend.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
ISO 639 Code Tables
Yupik
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code_tables...s_per_page=200

Tanaina
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/tfn

North Alaskan Inupiatun
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/esi

Official site of the ISO 639-3 Registration Authority:
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code_tables...s_per_page=200

* post updated to fix an error of mine!

Last edited by Horus68; 10-28-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Horus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
snow-raven

Thank you all, for the thoughtful responses. It helps to know the origin of the list. I'll add a new field to track additional languages for my purposes.

I downloaded the ISO693-3 list and found 8,197 entries in the current language names index. This is obviously an unwieldy number for a menu like this. I'm curious to know how the selected list is curated; if anyone can explain?

I appreciate the insights. I am working hard at a thoughtful implementation of Calibre and Zotero after years of carefully stuffing my references into folder structures. I'm very grateful for all of the work that has gone before me.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:25 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC The list in calibre comes from the debian ISO database which is itself based on ISO 639-3. I might need to look into updating the database import in calibre.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
snow-raven

Thanks. I'd be glad to be of use, if I can help. Since it was my dumb question that added it to your list...
Old 11-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Never mind.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:52 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This should take care of it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...f0f9d0f20adfbc

Tags
language, metadata edit