Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
So I have this subscription...

So I, happily, just ordered a subscription the New York Review of Books.

And I am very excited. However, I also know that the odds of me really getting my money's worth is not terribly high because I tend to forget to go to such sites.

Anyone have any clever ideas on how to pillage the content from the current issue and put it on my Kindle? Aside from a LOT of copying and pasting?

There is no RSS for this, unfortunately. Well, there is, but not for all the stuff I get. I essentially need a way to take the article links from the page, grab the content that isn't ads and junk, and turn it into something presentable on my Kindle with a table of contents.

So... any ideas?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
BKay
BKay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2... coming soon!
How much did the NYT RoB section subscription cost? You can d/l the Sunday NYT for 75 cents via Kindle, and it includes the Review of Books. The catch is you have to d/l it each Sunday (no Kindle subscription to Sunday only).
BKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKay View Post
How much did the NYT RoB section subscription cost? You can d/l the Sunday NYT for 75 cents via Kindle, and it includes the Review of Books. The catch is you have to d/l it each Sunday (no Kindle subscription to Sunday only).
NYT Review of Books is not the same thing as the New York Review of Books (http://www.nybooks.com/).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Calibre might be able to do this for you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
So I, happily, just ordered a subscription the New York Review of Books.
Gideon, welcome to the world of the NYRB. I am a long-term subscriber (my current subscription has been running for 3 years and expires in 2013) and can't say enough good things about the p version of the NYRB.

I have to admit, however, that except to check an account status, I never look at the online version of the NYRB. Part of what I love about the NYRB are the ads that appear in the print version -- ads for books that I would not otherwise learn of from quality academic presses. (I am not downgrading the articles/reviews one iota. It is a rare issue of NYRB that leaves my home [goes to my neighbor for his pleasure] with more than 1 unread review/article.)

Anyway, welcome to the NYRB, the last bastion of literate literary reviews.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

I'm hoping to get both print and electronic (upgrade fee isn't very steep) but magazines tend to rot in my house, unfortunately. I just never get around to reading them if they aren't on the Kindle and I'd hate for that to happen.

I don't know if Calibre could help or not. I thought Calibre used the RSS feeds generally?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre can parse HTML pages to get a list of articles instead of RSS. That's how the economist, newsweek and nytimes recipes work for example.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

How does it handle having to be logged in?

Any links explaining how to do this? Essentially a page (http://www.nybooks.com/contents/20090226) where it grabs the article links but not all the minutia at the bottom or the ads?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre user manual has a whole section on developing recipes, it includes how to handle logins.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Ah.. ok. I was looking at that earlier and thought it was only RSS. I can see where it's not.

Still beyond my ability, however... at least without more time than I have to try to figure it out. So I'll just copy and paste for now. Thanks though!