Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre VMWare development environment

This is for those of you are that are interested in contributing code/patches to libprs500 development. I've created a VMWare virtual machine with a fully setup libprs500 development environment, with Eclipse as the IDE. Instructions for getting it are at at

https://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Development

Moderators: please make this a sticky. Thanks.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-11-2008 at 01:04 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Great idea! I tried to use this but have no idea on how to get the gentoo eth0 interface working. Without that I can't download the latest source from the repository. Any ideas anyone?
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Code:
dmesg | grep eth
see what number you NIC is being assigned. Say it is ethX. Then

Code:
ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.ethX 
/etc/init.d/net.ethX restart
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Managed to get it going with a "sudo dhclient eth2"

Now I'm having an issue updating the src:

Cheers,
Crazy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	update_calibre_src_failed.png
Views:	775
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	17409  

Last edited by RoninTech; 10-28-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

no need to do --uninstall, just do sudo python setup.py develop

you're probably going to have to do

Code:
emerge python-lxml qt PyQt beautifulsoup
as well to update dependencies.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-29-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
RoninTech
Groupie

I have the vm appliance working but I can't emerge those modules ("emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "python-lxml"" etc.).

Also if I try to update to the latest source I get "ERROR: Working tree "/home/kovid/work/calibre/" has uncommitted changes.

Cheers,
Crazy
Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

oops should be just lxml

you can always delete the tree and check it out again
Old 11-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
RoninTech
Groupie

OK,

Once you have your vm session running with a valid network connection (see above), the following commands worked for me:

1 - rm -Rf calibre
2 - bzr branch http://bzr.kovidgoyal.net/code/calibre/trunk calibre
3 - sudo emerge sync
4 - sudo emerge dev-python/lxml dev-python/PyQt dev-python/beautifulsoup

PyQT is taking a loooong time to emerge so I'll post back if I can now build after these finish

Cheers,
Crazy

Last edited by RoninTech; 11-01-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah qt+pyqt takes forever to compile. I really should upload an updated version, but i've got too much on my plate at the moment.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
RoninTech
Groupie

shoot, thought it was done after a few hours but looks like I forgot qt. So at least one more step:

sudo emerge x11-libs/qt

Once I'm able to build the latest source, would it be possible for me to capture my updated appliance and give it to you so others don't have to spend hours getting this stuff again?

Cheers,
Crazy
Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure just delete /usr/portage/* (to save disk space) and zip up the vmware files (I use 7-zip for best compression) and post it somewhere. I'll update the version on the website with it. ALso make sure you clean out /tmp and /var /tmp before zipping.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
RoninTech
Groupie

I'm at a roadblock. When I try to build I get an error "Unknown Qt widget: QPlainTextEdit". So then I try to execute "sudo emerge x11-libs/qt". This runs for a while then for some reason the aterm disappears. After that, trying a build gives the same error and trying another emerge on qt runs for a while again then makes the aterm disappear. I think I'm doomed to never be able to build this thing under vm.

Cheers,
Crazy
Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

you can ssh into the vm if you're having trouble with aterm. What versions of qt and pyqt do you have installed?

emerge -s PyQt

emerge -s qt
Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
RoninTech
Groupie

Here's what the emerge log says. It just seems to end while trying to emerge x11-libs/qt-4.4.2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qt_emerge_dies.png
Views:	670
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	17529  
Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'll upload a working build later tonight.