Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
The Golden Age of Science Fiction from Halcyon Classics Kindle US only

I've searched the forum and didn't find any reference to this amazing series of anthologies.
Kindle US only <sorry>

The Golden Age of Science Fiction: An Anthology of 50 Short Stories (Halcyon Classics) [Kindle Edition] http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Sci...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

"including one full-length novel, several novellas and novelettes, and dozens of short stories"

But wait there is more!

There are a total of thirteen (13!) volumns. each with 50 stories!

And only $1.99 each!

And they are not done yet;

More Tales from the Golden Age of Science Fiction;

Another three volumns, each with an additional 50 stories!

And...

The Golden Age of Science Fiction: The Novels;

Three more volumns with 25 classic SF novels each. (Vol 3 is $2.99)

The best for last;

DRM free!

These all seem to be Public Domain stories that are available here and at many other locations but as far as I can tell from the reviews of the first volumn are well organized with few mispellings and with good Table of Contents.

Last edited by NormHart; 11-12-2010 at 05:21 PM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Where are they ? Are you sure they are for the kindle ? If I follow the link amazon tells me it is not available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
I've searched the forum and didn't find any reference to this amazing series of anthologies. Kindle

The Golden Age of Science Fiction: An Anthology of 50 Short Stories (Halcyon Classics) [Kindle Edition] http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Sci.../dp/B0037Z70MQ

"including one full-length novel, several novellas and novelettes, and dozens of short stories"

But wait there is more!

There are a total of thirteen (13!) volumns. each with 50 stories!

And only $1.99 each!

And they are not done yet;

More Tales from the Golden Age of Science Fiction;

Another three volumns, each with an additional 50 stories!

And...

The Golden Age of Science Fiction: The Novels;

Three more volumns with 25 classic SF novels each. (Vol 3 is $2.99)

The best for last;

DRM free!

These all seem to be Public Domain stories that are available here and at many other locations but as far as I can tell from the reviews of the first volumn are well organized with few mispellings and with good Table of Contents.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
"Not currently available"
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
44Dave
Enthusiast
44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook
When I follow the link it seems available
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon
The Golden Age of Science Fiction: An Anthology of 50 Short Stories (Halcyon Classics) [Kindle Edition]
› See both customer reviews...
› See all discussions...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital List Price: $1.99 What's this?
Kindle Price: $1.99 includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

That's weird when I clicked the link it took me right to it. I've put in a different link in the first post, hopefully that will work better. If not simply go to Amazon and search for The Golden Age of Science Fiction.

BTW I've bought the first three and each is well organized with links to the ToC at the top of the first page of each story. The stories seemed fine with the original (?) typesetting retained (italics, special fornts, etc). The only downside is there is no published date or other information for the stories, I'd have liked a bit more background but at $1.99 I can't complain (much).

Last edited by NormHart; 11-12-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Works for me... Restricted to United States?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Those stories probably mostly aren't resaleable by public domain re-packagers outside the US, since a lot of the Golden Age stuff from the 30s-50s will only be PD under the US's rules which puts pre-1923 and 1924-1965 copyright-not-renewed stuff on Gutenberg, but not in Life+ countries for most of the authors.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Works for me... Restricted to United States?
I suspect so, first post modified. I wonder how long it will take for our laws to catch up with our technology. (decades if not centuries I suppose)

I purchased the remaining ebooks of the first 13 and spot checked them, all appear good.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Sigh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
I suspect so, first post modified. I wonder how long it will take for our laws to catch up with our technology. (decades if not centuries I suppose)

I purchased the remaining ebooks of the first 13 and spot checked them, all appear good.

brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Sad indeed, sorry my Italian friend.

I did a quick search to see how many short stories there were from Simak and, with two ebooks not yet indexed, I discovered one duplicate story. So it is likely that there are several, if not many, duplicates. Still at 2 bucks I can't complain (much).

650 stories for $25.87

Oddly the "Go To/Table of Contents" does not work for these ebooks, that explains why there is a link to the ToC at the begining of each story.

Last edited by NormHart; 11-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

I did a couple of more searches and didn't find any more duplicates so I suspect that "a few" is a good way of putting it. I searched for Silverberg and Garrett and found 6 and 20 stories respectively, my search for Simak had found 6 so I'm feeling pretty good about the collection.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There is also The Ultimate Science Fiction Collection. There are 3 files of 3 volumes each at fairly reasonable prices. Around 2.99 for the most expensive as I recall. I bought them last month and though the contents pages require a bit of orientation they seem good. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scien...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks Norm!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #14
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Thanks, Norm and Crich70! These look really good. Great deals!
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:00 AM   #15
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Excellent. They might be public domain but it's an easy way of getting them all in one place.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote