Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #451
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Folders! I really miss having folders.
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #452
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookBunny View Post
Sorting newly added books on the device is a PITA, and I don't like how Calibre puts them on the SD card, so making shelves with it isn't really an option.
What don't you like? Where calibre puts the books and how they are named is very customisable. All you have to do is change the save template to put them somewhere else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #453
BookBunny
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏'\(⊙ ヮ⊙ )
BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.BookBunny 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Glo™
Oh, I didn't notice that option. Nice! Still, folders would be pretty neat.
BookBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #454
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, it would be easy to handle at code level. They just need to use the same name for the page image all the time.
I understood it was possible that way, but, as I don't need more than 10 - 20 seconds for reading a page, it would not be really time-saving.
And I also need to "watch the device boot so I know it is working". Which is never an absolute certitude.
So they did find several ways to break the cover display. Once I guessed something like that because it sometimes seemed to be linked to a new way of refreshing the screen by larger stripes.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #455
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I would appreciate
- an option to the effect that the device remains in text selection mode after closing the dictionary screen. This is important for reading Japanese text, since the device is unable to auto-select Japanese words (Sure, this is not the fault of the device, but depends on the nature of the Japanese writing system). Therefore, you have to slowly tap on the screen, wait a second or two until the device switches to selection mode, then you have to select the word yourself character by character, tap at the book symbol and choose translation. If you would like to look up another word on the same page you have to go through the whole process again.
- if one could easily switch from the list of definition dictionaries to the list of translation dictionaries. If a word is not in the definition dictionary I would like to switch directly to a translation dictionary, rather than to have to return to the text, select the word anew and then open the translation dictionary.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #456
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I would appreciate if the device would optionally show author and title in the carousel instead of book covers. Book covers are rather useless if you are reading several books with similar or identical covers.
I would also like an option to prevent book covers from showing in the library list.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #457
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_70it View Post
- ability to input Adobe Digital Editions username & password and download acsm files directly to the reader using the browser

- ability to copy or move ebooks from sd to internal memory and vice versa.
I'll second both of those, and add these:

- Fit the thumbnail to the cover image, rather than adding bars on the sides.

- Cache the covers for books stored on the card!

- Show SOME indication of activity between the "5 books on device" home screen and the "5 books including card" screen, so the user can tell the reader is doing something. Flashing the light by the power switch would work...

- Allow the user to force the reader to rescan the card for new content.

- Let the user choose a "carousel shelf" instead of forcing the five most recent books on there. I may have just bought half a dozen new books, but I'm still reading the one I was on before I synced...

- Treat the cover page as white-on-black by default, not black-on-white...or at least allow the user to select that.

- Allow series handling, including those that have multiple authors. Star Wars and Star Trek have a lot of those, and the present Star Wars format seems to be "one guy writes books 1/4/7, another 2/5/8, and the third does 3/6/9."

- Let the user purge the device's database to remove any entries related to sideloaded books that have been deleted.

- Properly detect when a sideloaded book has been changed, instead of treating it as a brand-new book. Especially important for shelves...

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 02-26-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: New features.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #458
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
This was fixed in firmware 2.3.1 but needs an update to Calibre's Kobo plugin to make it work easily for sideloaded books. The Calibre developers are working on it and it should be out soon.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #459
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
This was fixed in firmware 2.3.1 but needs an update to Calibre's Kobo plugin to make it work easily for sideloaded books. The Calibre developers are working on it and it should be out soon.
What if one doesn't use Calibre, but just loads epubs straight onto the card? (That's one of the things I like about the Kobo; I don't have to grab a cable and wire the device to my computer just to add a book.)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #460
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What if one doesn't use Calibre, but just loads epubs straight onto the card? (That's one of the things I like about the Kobo; I don't have to grab a cable and wire the device to my computer just to add a book.)
If I download a generic epub without a seperate cover image then the device uses the first page of the epub as the cover. If that first page contains white at the edges then so will the resulting cover, I don't see any way to avoid that without causing a lot of complaints that covers which are supposed to have white at the edges are not being rendered properly.

For example what would the device be expected to do with a cover like this? http://subterraneanpress.com/store/p..._objects_ebook
Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #461
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
For example what would the device be expected to do with a cover like this? http://subterraneanpress.com/store/p..._objects_ebook
If present, use the cover image defined in the OPF, either in the <guide> or <metadata> sections, as defined here, and only fall back to "render first page" if no such definition is found. What's wrong with using the metadata when it's there, rather than discarding it?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #462
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
If present, use the cover image defined in the OPF, either in the <guide> or <metadata> sections, as defined here, and only fall back to "render first page" if no such definition is found. What's wrong with using the metadata when it's there, rather than discarding it?
I think the problem is that the cover image inside a DRM epub is not available to the firmware, all it can do is ask the Adobe reader to render it and use whatever image that results.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #463
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I've only read the rest of the replies quickly so I might have missed a detail. But this sounds like the annoyance I was having a while ago with my Touch, before I had Calibre send along cover images.

If your epubs are DRM free, you can edit the titlepage.xhtml to get the cover to display without bars to the side. It's not a Kobo thing, but a coding in the book that makes the images show up with bars. Instead of it just being a picture (which Kobo should be able to show full screen), it's a page with margin settings and such nonsense. I recently even came across a book that had it's cover page with a black background and strangely positioned book cover. Looked ridiculous.

I can't find the specific thread that I remember, but this one should be able to help too.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. I see you're in a big discussion about this in another thread already

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-27-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #464
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'll skip this part. But as GeoffR said, it is at least partly there.
Quote:
- Show SOME indication of activity between the "5 books on device" home screen and the "5 books including card" screen, so the user can tell the reader is doing something. Flashing the light by the power switch would work...
I don't know what you mean here. When I insert the SD card, the black processing screen is shown while it process any new books. If there aren't any, then the home screen updates if any of the books on the card should be there.
Quote:
- Allow the user to force the reader to rescan the card for new content.
As there is no way to get a book onto the card except in a way that will cause a scan, this isn't needed.
Quote:
- Let the user choose a "carousel shelf" instead of forcing the five most recent books on there. I may have just bought half a dozen new books, but I'm still reading the one I was on before I synced...
Both parts of this have been asked for a lot of times.
Quote:
- Allow series handling, including those that have multiple authors. Star Wars and Star Trek have a lot of those, and the present Star Wars format seems to be "one guy writes books 1/4/7, another 2/5/8, and the third does 3/6/9."
Already happening. But there isn't a way to prove it one way or the other with 2.4.0. With 2.3.1 or 2.3.2, just sort by title to see.
Quote:
- Let the user purge the device's database to remove any entries related to sideloaded books that have been deleted.
You mean when you connect the device to the PC and delete via the PC? They do get removed, but I think you have to restart the device. I haven't done this for a while.
Quote:
- Properly detect when a sideloaded book has been changed, instead of treating it as a brand-new book. Especially important for shelves...
You will have to explain this. I know what happens when you change a book and I believe I know why it works that way. But, that doesn't agree with "treating it as a brand-new book" and shelves. That makes me think you are seeing something different than what I see. Is this only an issue on the SD card?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #465
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
You mean when you connect the device to the PC and delete via the PC? They do get removed, but I think you have to restart the device. I haven't done this for a while.
Wasn't it doing a (Wifi) sync that got them deleted (instead of a restart)?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo