Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
tanrex
tanrex began at the beginning.

Device: None
Can't Decide, nook, IREX or ...?

I was trying to decide on which ebook reader and then saw this:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=36806

What do you think? I don't want to buy something then have the device go bad on me. Please help!

T.
tanrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
An interesting sentence from the article:
Quote:
The eReader market is all about speed of content access over wireless, ease of use, convenience and screen clarity
I guess if you agree with that - that it's all about speed of wireless access to content - then there might be an argument against the DR800. For me speed of wireless access is irrelevant (not least because I live in Europe, but anyway, I'm not interested in wireless access from my reader). I'm very happy with the DR800 that I got a couple of months ago, and am getting happier as the firmware improves - I think it scores very highly on ease of use and screen clarity. But it does depend on what you want to do with a reader - the DR800 suits my needs better than anything else I could find. But then I just got a second hand Sony PRS 505 for my wife, and that suits her far better than the IREX would.

Last edited by TGS; 04-22-2010 at 06:47 PM.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
But then I just got a second hand Sony PRS 505 for my wife, and that suits her far better than the IREX would.
That is what I told my wife when I handed her my old 505 when I upgraded. Fortunately she has no interest in tech products -- so she believes that nonsense I fed her (same thing you did). She may not need the extra functionality the Irex offers, but the Irex is much better in every respect. Even for plain linear reading, the screen size, better contrast, speed of page turns, etc.

And I still hope one of the hackmasters can find a way to enable that modem for worldwide GSM usage.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-22-2010 at 07:48 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
An interesting sentence from the article:

I guess if you agree with that - that it's all about speed of wireless access to content - then there might be an argument against the DR800. For me speed of wireless access is irrelevant (not least because I live in Europe, but anyway, I'm not interested in wireless access from my reader). I'm very happy with the DR800 that I got a couple of months ago, and am getting happier as the firmware improves - I think it scores very highly on ease of use and screen clarity. But it does depend on what you want to do with a reader - the DR800 suits my needs better than anything else I could find. But then I just got a second hand Sony PRS 505 for my wife, and that suits her far better than the IREX would.
Well before dissing IREX, for speed of wireless access, shouldn't you ask OP where he resides? I have no problem with my wireless access on IREX 800 SG. US model is quite nice in all regards.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
The 3G connection on the iRex is very slow. And the emall experience isn't particularly great.

HOWEVER, I still love my DR800SG. I particularly like that it supports both ADE and B&N books, meaning I can pick up books from anyone except amazon. In addition, the reading experience is very good, and the firmware is far less buggy in my opinion than the Sony devices I checked out at B&N.

I definitely don't find anything "bad" about the DR800SG. As long as you are aware of the setbacks of eInk, the DR800SG is a good choice.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome tanrex!

If you are asking us for advice, we need to know more about you. No device is perfect for everyone.

Where do you live? Is the price important? What will you use your device for?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
tanrex

Thank you guys so much for the feedback!

I live in the US. I want something that's easy to use cause I'm not very technical and I'm not into figuring out file formats, drm, etc.. Price is a consideration, but I was tempted by the IREX's bigger screen. And I'm not sure if the pen makes things better or worse.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanrex View Post
Thank you guys so much for the feedback!

I live in the US. I want something that's easy to use cause I'm not very technical and I'm not into figuring out file formats, drm, etc.. Price is a consideration, but I was tempted by the IREX's bigger screen. And I'm not sure if the pen makes things better or worse.
The Irex uses a Wacom screen, so the touch screen does not affect the screen clarity at all (unlike the Sony 600 and 900). The pen allows for much quicker navigation and you can take notes with it. If you only do linear reading, you wouldn't even need a pen. By having the touch screen interface you don't need any buttons, that keeps the overall size of the Irex as small as most 6" units. And I love reading on an 8" screen. If you want e-ink and can afford the slightly higher price, the Irex is the way to go.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tanrex, will this be your first reader? Are you sure that you want note-taking ability?

I decided to go the other route and get the least expensive reliable device currently out, the jetBook Lite. Its DRM is currently limited to eReader, so that may make it a non-starter for you.

But since electronic gadgets improve over time while decreasing in price, I recommend to one and all that they go the inexpensive way for their first eBook reader. Give yourself the time to decide whether you like using one, and what your preferences in features are.

There is no doubt that three years from now there will be available many devices which are better and less expensive, so I recommend against spending the big bucks now for your first device.

Amazon currently has a sale on the jetBook Lite for $99 with the discount code "ereader".

By the way, I too was concerned that a 5" screen would be too small, but I went ahead and got one anyway. I now feel that it is fine, so I wouldn't let that be a factor in your decision.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
iptuser55
iptuser55 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That is what I told my wife when I handed her my old 505 when I upgraded. Fortunately she has no interest in tech products -- so she believes that nonsense I fed her (same thing you did). She may not need the extra functionality the Irex offers, but the Irex is much better in every respect. Even for plain linear reading, the screen size, better contrast, speed of page turns, etc.

And I still hope one of the hackmasters can find a way to enable that modem for worldwide GSM usage.
Hi Hans , do you read PDF`s on the DR800. I`m looking at Bebook NEO or DR800 . I want ti to read novels as on holiday but also computer books for studying mostly based on PDF- how does it compare- thanks
iptuser55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard

I do read PDFs. I have work PDFs (spare parts lists, catalogues of technical products, price lists, etc) all those work fine. At 8" you get a good look at the whole page and can zoom in a specific section. Sometimes I even just leave it at full screen.

I also have two books in PDF version, which look absolutely awful using reflow. I tried them on the Sony 505 and just put them aside for later. On the Irex I just read them in their original layout and the typesetting looks absolutely beautiful. Epub is just no comparison to PDF in its original layout.

Of course, the Neobook is fine, also has a great software with zoom function. But with the 8" screen you have a 50% bigger screen area than the 6%. Great for novels, too (page size is the same as paperback, thus you need fewer page turns) If you can afford it go for the bigger screen.

But as non-book PDFs go, it is always best to try yours first. I don't know how complex mathematical ones with formulas and multiple columns would look. Irex has an emulator you can download, you can use that to try your files. I don't know, however, if the emulator offers the zoom function.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-23-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Well before dissing IREX, for speed of wireless access,
I wasn't aware that I was "dissing" IREX for anything, but I don't think anyone would claim that the DR800SG is top of the pile for wireless access to content, (at least I've never seen anyone claim that). I went on to make the point that if wireless access to content isn't top of your list of decision criteria then the DR800 has lots of other good features to recommend it.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
tanrex

While I was still doing research, my RSS feeds just brought me to these:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=36833
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...html?tag=mncol

I think the new update has just put me over the edge. The winner is the nook. The most impressive new feature to me is the ability to go into a B&N store and just browse any ebook they have and read it as long as you want, I'm assuming this is true as it was mentioned in the video and the article.

Any last minute aye or nay?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
The winner is the nook. The most impressive new feature to me is the ability to go into a B&N store and just browse any ebook they have and read it as long as you want, I'm assuming this is true as it was mentioned in the video and the article.
One of the nice things about that concept is that really you can do that now with hardcopy books, but in the process you are turning a new book into used merchandise.

This way, B&N doesn't lose anything in the inventory dept. There's no such thing as "wear and tear" on an eBook.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
While I was still doing research, my RSS feeds just brought me to these:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...p?Number=36833
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...html?tag=mncol

I think the new update has just put me over the edge. The winner is the nook. The most impressive new feature to me is the ability to go into a B&N store and just browse any ebook they have and read it as long as you want, I'm assuming this is true as it was mentioned in the video and the article.

Any last minute aye or nay?
The following is from the B&N Website regarding reading in store reading:

Quote:
The Read In Store experience allows you to browse the complete contents of many eBooks in our eBookstore for free while in Barnes & Noble stores. Connect to the fast and free store Wi-Fi®, tap Shop and select an eBook. If the eBook is available for Read In Store, you'll see the Read In Store beta option on the touchscreen, just below the Buy button. You can read any eBook available through Read In Store for up to one hour. You can read as many eBooks that have the Read In Store option as you wish while in store on any given day.
As you can see it is not any book you want, just books that have this option. So if that is your main reason for getting the nook you may want to reconsider. I like my nook but I like my Irex 800 even more. If you can afford the extra money I would consider the 800. If not the nook is a good reader in my opinion.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote