Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #16
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Check these in a dark room or closet.

1. Does the Voyage still have the little shadows at the bottom of the screen like the PW?

2. If you angle the Voyage so that you are looking down at the frontlight LEDs, how many separate lights do you see?

3. At the highest brightness, is it substantially brighter than the PW?

4. At the lowest brightness, is it darker than the PW?

5. Does the screen background look substantially whiter that the PW, or is there a distinct colored tint (bluish or yellowish)?
1. No
2. none. you really do not see them at all anymore (4 on my PW2)
3. yes
4. no, the same
5. a tad more yellow, but just a tad.

The fonts are crisper, although they were already really good on my PW2.

It's a keeper.

Last edited by aceflor; 10-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Nope I was wrong. That's totally PW

Below is kept for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
You're right, my mistake. I guess that explains why it was posted 2 days ago (before the voyage was out)
When I go there I do see the comparison between H2O and Voyage now though?

I think I may go with the H2O. The Voyage seems slightly better (not sure if it's the camera's focusing) but isn't $80 better for me.

Last edited by Hypernova; 10-21-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Mistake
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
frogette
frogette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard
Do the lighter fonts (Palatino, Baskerville) appear greyish and slightly fuzzy like they do on the PW, or do they look crisper and better defined?

Last edited by frogette; 10-21-2014 at 01:26 PM.
frogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogette View Post
Do the lighter fonts (Palatino, Baskerville) appear greyish and slightly fuzzy like they do on the PW, or do they look crisper and better defined?
definitely crisper. I wish I could do some pics, but right now I can't, I have no camera and my phone would not do it justice (plus I have very bad lighting where I am). Maybe someone else can...

Last edited by aceflor; 10-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
1. No
3. yes
4. no

It's a keeper.
As far as I'm concerned those are the answers I wanted to here for the questions asked! Sounds like a good eInk reader.
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
1. No
3. yes
4. no, the same

It's a keeper.
To add my impressions, I agree with everything aceflor said. However, I think the thinner fonts are noticeably better. I couldn't use anything buy Caecilia or Helvetica on the PW2, but everything seems usable to me on the Voyage.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #22
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Can you still leave your thumbs on the page turn sensors without triggering unwanted page turns while lying down with the weight of the device resting on your thumbs?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #23
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks for your impressions, RDaneel54. Glad you're happy. How much of an improvement do you feel the screen is from the PW? Is the contrast noticeably better? Are the fonts noticeably darker?
I think it is noticeably better than the PW. The fonts are noticeably more readable, maybe a tad darker.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
As far as I'm concerned those are the answers I wanted to here for the questions asked! Sounds like a good eInk reader.
Too bad they are only here.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Quote:
1. No
3. yes
4. no, the same

It's a keeper.
This is great news! I just hope they are consistently of this quality. Really looking forward to checking mine out when I get home
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #26
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Can you still leave your thumbs on the page turn sensors without triggering unwanted page turns while lying down with the weight of the device resting on your thumbs?
Well I never did that before, but yes I just tried it out.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #27
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Well I never did that before, but yes I just tried it out.
Thank you!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

My concern, having published books with illustrations, was that going from 212 to 300 pixels per inch would make the images smaller. An image that is, for example, 500x500 pixels will appear smaller on the PW than on the K3. But from what I can recall about how large certain images looked on my PW, it seems like Amazon must be stretching some of the images. More on this later when I have my PW to compare. I do notice a very light grey line down the right side of some images... I'm wondering if that has something to do with the fact that I think amazon is blowing them up a little.... Anyone can grab a sample of an Oz book from here: http://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Wiza.../dp/B005VRZXOA to see what I mean. One example is the "She" image at location 119 in that book (yes, which I published). But the line isn't there on all images, and there is only a line along a portion of the right edge for some images.

The fonts look great. I never used Palatino on the PW even though in general I like the font, because it seemed a bit light and fuzzy on the PW. But it looks nice on the V.

I saw one of the covers at Best Buy. I didn't think I'd like the origami cover because the creases will make it floppy, but it was a little stiffer than I feared. It was pretty neat. But still - $45 is a bit ridiculous (and the only had black at Best Buy). We'll see what third market covers come out for it. If you bought a cover - review it here, also!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EltaninPub View Post
I saw one of the covers at Best Buy. I didn't think I'd like the origami cover because the creases will make it floppy, but it was a little stiffer than I feared. It was pretty neat. But still - $45 is a bit ridiculous (and the only had black at Best Buy). We'll see what third market covers come out for it. If you bought a cover - review it here, also!
I agree on the pricing.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #30
aceflor
Wizard

I will just copy what I wrote elsewhere on the Forum : regarding the buttons: in the reading settings, you can set the pressure you want the buttons to react to. Low, medium, hard. I switched mine from medium to low and am very happy with this setting. The pages turn when I touch the buttons, but I can still rest my fingers on them without pages turning accidentally.