Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #136
bbrady42
bbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Sure. It was a non-drm, freely distributed file. (and it's a pretty good book for a YA)
Here's the link:
http://craphound.com/littlebrother/C...e_Brother.epub

I can try again, or try with some different books. I just haven't had much free time to play with it.

thannks.
bbrady42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #137
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Strange, Cory's books usually work really well. I'll try this later tonight when I get home.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #138
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may be using an old version of the plugin. There was a bug that prevented parsing content files when the file extension did not end in "html" that I've fixed. Try downloading the latest code and re-add the book.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #139
bbrady42
bbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Yep. Recreated the .zip file and replaced the one in the plug-in folder with the new one and it's working well now. Thanks for the help and all your work on this.
bbrady42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #140
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I’m having several problems with the kepubs generated by the KoboExtended plugin:
- the glo doesn’t remember the last page read and opens the book at the beginning off the chapter.
- bookmarks: when I leave the book and open it again the bookmarks wouldn’t appear in the proper page.
- annotations: the bookmark would appear but not the annotations that I had made before.
- search: when I searched the book for a word it would not show the location in the text, it would list a series off code.

At first I thought that the problem was the new Glo new firmware 2.4.0 but I decided to experiment a bit and I came to the conclusion that with the kpubs downloaded directly from kobo all works fine, I also tried some books in epub loaded trough calibre but with the KoboExtended plugin disable and none off the problems above appeared.

I tried it with calibre 0.9.20 and after updating to calibre 0.9.22 and the result was the same.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #141
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Please see the bug report at https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-k...iver/issues/19 and the related bug report at https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver/issues/7.

The TL;DR version is that this is a known issue that I can't do anything further about. There is a JavaScript file included in kepubs supplied by Kobo that I cannot distribute because the file is copyrighted and is not redistributable. This JavaScript file contains, among other things, functions to calculate the proper place to load the book from bookmarks and when you leave and return, and the proper place to put annotations. If Kobo wants to change the copyright on the necessary files, I'll include them in the plugin.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #142
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
I’m having several problems with the kepubs generated by the KoboExtended plugin:
- the glo doesn’t remember the last page read and opens the book at the beginning off the chapter.
- bookmarks: when I leave the book and open it again the bookmarks wouldn’t appear in the proper page.
- annotations: the bookmark would appear but not the annotations that I had made before.
I think you can improve this situation by modifying the epub in a way that there is one (x)html file for each chapter in order to prevent fragment identifiers in the toc.ncx (cf. this post). The modification has do be done before kobofying the epub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
If this problem still exists after you modified the book, it may be connected with very long paragraphs or very huge font size (cf. this post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
There is a JavaScript file included in kepubs supplied by Kobo that I cannot distribute because the file is copyrighted and is not redistributable. This JavaScript file contains, among other things, functions to calculate the proper place to load the book from bookmarks and when you leave and return, and the proper place to put annotations.
Are you sure that this js is used by the Kobo? I always thought it is for other reading devices that use the Kobo reading application. Is this the same kobo.js that is also distributed in each preview kepub?

Last edited by tshering; 03-10-2013 at 02:17 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #143
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

In this area I'm working entirely off information provided by other people. Next time I purchase a DRM-free kepub I'll open it up and verify, but it has been my understanding that the JavaScript file is included in all Kobo kepubs. I've also heard from one person that adding the file to the book and updating the content files to reference it fixed the problem of starting at the wrong place. I've certainly seen an improvement in the starting location with one file per chapter, but it's still almost always a few pages on either side of where I should be starting.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #144
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I can tell you my experience. I've got a Kobo Mini with 2.4.0, and I use this driver (previous to last update because of calibre changes). I have no problem with bookmarks, annotations or my Kobo remembering the page. But:
  1. All the epub are split across files
  2. Left and right margins are unset (-1 in calibre)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #145
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I can tell you my experience. I've got a Kobo Mini with 2.4.0, and I use this driver (previous to last update because of calibre changes). I have no problem with bookmarks, annotations or my Kobo remembering the page. But:
sorry to sidetrack you, but what problems did you have with the plugin? Which calibre version are you on? I am asking because I am having problems with one particular book (if I load it, it breaks my database on the Mini), and I am not sure whether the problem is with the book or with Calibre or perhaps something else.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #146
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
I've also heard from one person that adding the file to the book and updating the content files to reference it fixed the problem of starting at the wrong place.
I just made a copy of the annotations test file (available here), included the kobo.js and inserted the references into the htmls. The file behaves exactly as the version without the js. That means no improvement with annotations/highlights. As for opening at the right place, my test is not indicative, since the version without js also opens always at the right page.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #147
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
sorry to sidetrack you, but what problems did you have with the plugin? Which calibre version are you on? I am asking because I am having problems with one particular book (if I load it, it breaks my database on the Mini), and I am not sure whether the problem is with the book or with Calibre or perhaps something else.
I have no problems with the plugin, tempest@de had. I've not updated the plugin because I've not updated calibre (0.9.15, so without Polish). Problem with a particular book are very, very tricky, because it will probably depend on some special contents, or tags, or something like that, in it. Have you tried to check it with Sigil?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #148
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Have you tried to check it with Sigil?
you are right, I should do that first - many thanks!
Paola
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #149
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
This is a real mystery, I tried again with several books, one with the chapter beginning in a new page, one with continuous chapters and one converted directly from pdf in which the chapter begins in the same line off the last line from the previous chapter, all off them worked perfectly.

When I was looking for instruction to learn how to make each chapter to begin in a new page I read some instruction about CSS so I copied the parameters shown in the instructions and again converted the books to epub, which I later send to the device as kepubs.

I still not know why I had problems before but I can only assume that it had to do with the parameters I used to convert the books, and with the new parameters the problem was fixed.

I had never before changed the CSS except to put these two lines
Quote:
body { widows: 0; orphans: 0; }
p { widows: 0; orphans: 0; }
I read in the forum that allow more lines per page

So now what I have in the CSS is this, maybe it will be helpful to someone.

Quote:
body { margin: 0; }
p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt; text-indent: 5pt; text-align: justify;}
h1 { text-align: center; }
h2 {text-align: center; font-weight: 600; font-size: x-large; padding-bottom: 20pt; page-break-before: always;}
h3 { text-align: center; padding-bottom: 20pt; font-weight: 600; font-size: xx-large }
h4 { text-align: center; }
h5 { text-align: center; }
h6 { text-align: center; }
Thank’s tshering, jgoguen and Terisa de morgan.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #150
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Quote:
Please see the bug report at ...There is a JavaScript file included in kepubs supplied by Kobo that I cannot distribute because the file is copyrighted and is not redistributable.
Maybe I'm wrong but a workaround could be to add tho the plug-in an option so any user can select the Js file from his computer, so you don't need to redistribute it, but everyone can legally (I think) take a free kepub from kobo, extract the JS file and point the plug-in to it.

It should work if the file is the same in every kepub.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo