Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
Even after I convert my books to MOBI in Calibre and take out the [PDOC] tag, they still all show up in my docs as opposed to my books on the Fire. Is there a way to see in the mobi file if that [PDOC] tag has been removed, outside of Calibre?
I think it only shows up in Books if Amazon has that book and the AISN matches. I'm not sure yet how this all works. At first we assume it was like the other Kindles. I'm hoping someone can figure this all out.

Possible Kovid and his team can help us get the KF sideloaded books to work as intended.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #62
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoegele View Post
So if I understand you correctly, there is no way to have full Whispersync (including highlights, notes, bookmarks, etc.) for the Kindle Fire, except for books obtained directly from Amazon. Is that correct?

Sorry for being dense. I have lots of books purchased from third party sources that I want to load onto my new Fire and I'm trying to weigh the costs and benefits of choosing to use the [PDOC] tag or not. So far, the benefit of not using the [PDOC] tag is that the books show up in the Books section of the Fire instead of the Docs section.
Don't worry, this confused the hell out of most of us. We thought the KFire would come with the ability that was recently given to K3s and K4s to treat personal documents like they were actual Amazon books, but it doesn't have that ability yet. Amazon might extend that capability to the KFire and Kindle apps (K4PC and K4Mac) some day, but we don't know when or if.

I'm like you and most of my books were either purchased outside of Amazon or have been modified. I don't remember the specifics, but I followed a thread here on MR and set up calibre to automatically do the PDOC thing so as to make any conversion via calibre Whispersyncable. I think the thread is in the Developer section, but I cannot remember. Anyone know the link?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #63
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think it only shows up in Books if Amazon has that book and the AISN matches. I'm not sure yet how this all works. At first we assume it was like the other Kindles. I'm hoping someone can figure this all out.

Possible Kovid and his team can help us get the KF sideloaded books to work as intended.
My memory is a bit flaky, but I think you can use the ASIN from another book or even make up one that conforms to certain rules. There was a long and good thread on this way back when but I don't know where it is located now.

EDIT: This might be the thread.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-18-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My memory is a bit flaky, but I think you can use the ASIN from another book or even make up one that conforms to certain rules. There was a long and good thread on this way back when but I don't know where it is located now.
Ah okay. I stop using the Reader app when I found out I have to reboot each time I want books to show up that I've sideloaded.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #65
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Ah okay. I stop using the Reader app when I found out I have to reboot each time I want books to show up that I've sideloaded.
I haven't had to reboot. After I place them in "Books" they immediately show up.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #66
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Did you take out the tag and then convert (again).
I did, but I can't really tell if it worked I guess because they look they same, and are still showing up in my docs.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #67
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Even after I convert my books to MOBI in Calibre and take out the [PDOC] tag, they still all show up in my docs as opposed to my books on the Fire. Is there a way to see in the mobi file if that [PDOC] tag has been removed, outside of Calibre?
Doing this worked for me, it should have for you. What I did: went to preferences, mobi output, then blanked the [PDOC], then converted.

This worked for me.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #68
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I haven't had to reboot. After I place them in "Books" they immediately show up.
Me, too. Don't even have to disconnect.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #69
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
I did, but I can't really tell if it worked I guess because they look they same, and are still showing up in my docs.
This may be obvious, so sorry in advance, but did you remove the original copy that you put on there? The one with the PDOC tag?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Me, too. Don't even have to disconnect.
No I don't use USB they show up that way okay but Sideloading via Dropbox, ES File Explorer or WiFi Explorer they wont show up till I reboot.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #71
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
This may be obvious, so sorry in advance, but did you remove the original copy that you put on there? The one with the PDOC tag?
I removed the original copy I put on the Fire. But I still have my epubs/mobis in Calibre.

So what I'm doing is converting them to MOBI (even though they technically already are that format) but making sure the [PDOC] tag is left out. I also updated this in my preferences. I'm then sending the MOBI format to my desktop, and I drag them to the books folder on the Kindle. But still showing up as docs.

Maybe I should import my books again as just epubs and reconvert?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #72
gweminence
Fat Guy

Doing the conversion without PDOC worked for me, so I'm not sure why you're having trouble. Try using calibre (which released today with drivers for the fire)
Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #73
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I removed the original copy I put on the Fire. But I still have my epubs/mobis in Calibre.

So what I'm doing is converting them to MOBI (even though they technically already are that format) but making sure the [PDOC] tag is left out. I also updated this in my preferences. I'm then sending the MOBI format to my desktop, and I drag them to the books folder on the Kindle. But still showing up as docs.

Maybe I should import my books again as just epubs and reconvert?
Make sure to delete the previous books first. The KF has a weird way of updating it self. Try rebooting if nothing else.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #74
SamL
I mess around with Epubs

I just tried importing a new epub in to Calibre, converting it to MOBI (made sure that [pdoc] tag was left out) saved it to my desktop and sideloaded it to my kindle. Still showing up in docs, weird.

Thanks everyone for the help thus far, much appreciated.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #75
SamL
I mess around with Epubs

Quote:
Doing the conversion without PDOC worked for me, so I'm not sure why you're having trouble. Try using calibre (which released today with drivers for the fire)
Ah I should probably update Calibre, that could very well be my issue