Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
4runner
4runner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle e-ink
Convert forum threads to ebook?

Hello,

Does anyone know how to convert a forum thread to an ebook? This would be especially useful for long threads...

I know you could "show printable version" and print to PDF, but that is not good enough... There is not much control over the formatting, and it is not very organized...

Thanks!
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
You can use some of the Thread Tools in the blue ribbon just above your post as a starting point.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
4runner

The forum I am trying to read does not have any "thread tools." I was wondering if there was some kind of application or way of viewing (or converting) threads to an ebook that could easily be read on the kindle (I have an e-ink)
Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
The forum I am trying to read does not have any "thread tools." I was wondering if there was some kind of application or way of viewing (or converting) threads to an ebook that could easily be read on the kindle (I have an e-ink)
If you can "Show Printable Version", then why not use either the Send To Kindle plugin for Firefox or Chrome (http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/firefox) or Instapaper (https://www.instapaper.com/).

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
4runner

On the forum I am trying to convert the threads to an ebook, there is not an option to "show printable version." That's what I meant by saying there are no "thread tools" like there are on this forum.
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
On the forum I am trying to convert the threads to an ebook, there is not an option to "show printable version." That's what I meant by saying there are no "thread tools" like there are on this forum.
Why all the mystery?

If the forum is NOT MR there is little chance someone can guess which Forum engine (eg PHPbb) the one you want to scrape is using and come up with a perfect solution.

Your browser has a 'View source' feature where you can see (and copy) the code displayed. Do note that this will be a bit more than cut and paste as you will need to create a ebook-compatible stylesheet . but there is a good possibility that the same thread will use the same stylesheet throught
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Please, ask your questions in this other forum and don't waste our time with dishonest questions that no one is able to answer.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It would be a lot more sensible to ask in that other forum rather than here. Nobody can possibly answer your question without knowing what forum software you're talking about.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I don't understand...in the first post, you explicitly said
Quote:
I know you could "show printable version" and print to PDF, but that is not good enough...
Now you say that you can't show printable version? In any case, the Send To Kindle plug in can be used whether you use "show printable version" or not. It takes whatever text is on the page and converts it to ebook format. I used the plugin to convert this thread and attached it so that you can see what it will look like.

Shari
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 Convert forum threads to ebook_ - MobileRead Forums.azw3 (47.2 KB, 189 views)
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is why using walled-garden web-based forums is a bad idea. Web forums are designed specifically to take control away from you, chaining you to a GUI and mouse.

It's far more sensible to source your content from usenet, which (by design) gives you control by making all content available in a raw form, limited only by the capability of client side tools.

If you must draw your content from a phpbbs walled-garden, then you can often setup a RSS-usenet gateway at gwene. Once it's NNTP-accessible, then you can grab the raw text and easily do an automated markup to something like LaTeX, which can generate quite nice looking PDFs.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I use this, you can add extra urls to stitch together if you can't get it all on one page.

http://web2fb2.net/
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that the OP has not logged on since June, I very much doubt that he still cares .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote