Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Public library books

I love love love my PRS-T1 that my hubby got me for Christmas last year! I read a lot and I love to borrow books from the library. However, am I only limited to my local library? I tried other ones too but it seems I have to get another library card. This library is quite limited and long waiting lists, so thats why I would like to visit other ones.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Yes you can only borrow books from libraries that you have access to with a library card. If you don't have a card for that library you can't borrow books from there. Some cities offer a pay service where because you don't live there you can essentially buy a library card for and then be able to borrow paper and ebooks for a limited period of time but I believe you have to do that in person only.

You couldn't get a Toronto Public Library card by signing up online or something. Check out other libraries near where you live if you can do similar. (pay a monthly fee to use their library)
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Yes you can only borrow books from libraries that you have access to with a library card. If you don't have a card for that library you can't borrow books from there. Some cities offer a pay service where because you don't live there you can essentially buy a library card for and then be able to borrow paper and ebooks for a limited period of time but I believe you have to do that in person only.

You couldn't get a Toronto Public Library card by signing up online or something. Check out other libraries near where you live if you can do similar. (pay a monthly fee to use their library)
Awesome! Thanks Shopaholic.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
There's an article in the Wiki about public libraries who allow non-residents to obtain library cards. The most popular is the Free Library of Phlladelphia.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
The Philadelphia library is not free for non residents. It's $35 annual fee and probably only open to residents of the USA. OP is in Canada. The form has to be downloaded, printed and mailed in with payment.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Do you have any relatives in other parts of the country who don't have ereaders? You could use their library for ebooks if they have a card and give you the details. The Calgary library has around 25,000 ebooks and I'd imagine Toronto has a good selection as well.

There are libraries that allow non-residents to sign up for a fee, recently a few forumers have joined the Brooklyn library as well as the previously mentioned Philadelphia library. Here's a thread with recent experiences.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I love love love my PRS-T1 that my hubby got me for Christmas last year! I read a lot and I love to borrow books from the library. However, am I only limited to my local library? I tried other ones too but it seems I have to get another library card. This library is quite limited and long waiting lists, so thats why I would like to visit other ones.
I use the BC Libraries to go which has more ebooks than the Vancouver one I think. AFAIK you can vist any BC library and get your library card registered to use them. They all seem to have their own ebooks. North and West vancouver, BC and Surrey are some. You used to be able to get a seperate card at each but don't know if you can now without using a local area address.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I use the BC Libraries to go which has more ebooks than the Vancouver one I think. AFAIK you can vist any BC library and get your library card registered to use them. They all seem to have their own ebooks. North and West vancouver, BC and Surrey are some. You used to be able to get a seperate card at each but don't know if you can now without using a local area address.
Someone with a Vancouver Public Library card can use both systems I think. Here's the blurb from the BC Libraries Overdrive login page regarding Vancouver residents:

Quote:
Vancouver residents can check out titles that were added to the shared BC Libraries collection before April 2012. For new titles and shorter wait times, please visit our growing new collection: VPL to Go.

If you are not a Vancouver resident, you can access the shared BC Libraries collection through the library in the city where you live. Check with your local library for details on other eBook collections available to you.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Someone with a Vancouver Public Library card can use both systems I think. Here's the blurb from the BC Libraries Overdrive login page regarding Vancouver residents:
Yes you can. many books on the BC Libraries to go list now have a blurb
Quote:
This title is not available to all member libraries. If needed, please check your local library’s collection.
So I assume that these are possibly books in a library you don't belong to. Hence the advantage of registering at multiple libraries.

Could be wrong though

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote