Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Samsung: Galaxy Note II has sold 3 million units worldwide in 1 month

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/01/s...-ii-3-million/

Quote:
Just over a month removed from launching its latest phablet, Samsung is reporting the Galaxy Note II has already racked up sales of 3 million units. The 5.5-inch stylus-enabled smartphone is selling at more than three times the rate of the original Note, a figure which probably won't be hurt by rolling out on multiple carriers including Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and US Cellular in the US. This supersized device can't quite match the mainstream appeal of Samsung's own Galaxy S III -- which cracked 20 million just 100 days after its debut -- but it should quickly surpass its predecessor, last seen cresting the 10 million mark back in August.
And it hasn't hit the USA yet.

5.5" is a good size for an e-reader for those that don't want to bring a Kindle or Nook along.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Glad to hear it. I've got the original note which is 5.3 inches and it's not bad for reading in short stretches when Its not convenient to use my kindle.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Not too surprising after the success of the Note 1, which was actually a surprise.

I am still not convinced something that big is for me, but I understand the appeal. It can replace about 95% of what a tablet is used for.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Not too surprising after the success of the Note 1, which was actually a surprise.

I am still not convinced something that big is for me, but I understand the appeal. It can replace about 95% of what a tablet is used for.
I think I've become so used to the size now that it just feels like a phone and couldn't replace my 10.1 inch tablet. Yet at the same time I couldn't imagine having a smaller phone.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I think I've become so used to the size now that it just feels like a phone and couldn't replace my 10.1 inch tablet. Yet at the same time I couldn't imagine having a smaller phone.
I suppose it depends on what you use a tablet for. I rarely use my Nook Color anymore. My 4.3" phone is more handy because it's always with me. Heck, I hardly use my laptop anymore, though I do still need it.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
mizzlia
mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook tablet 8gb, samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wifi 32gb
This is the phone i been thinking about getting it just pulled me in first it was the galaxy s3 now the note 2 i just want it but ima have to wait u til dec to get it but i cant wait that phone is everything right now i have the samsubg infuse it was ok for a while the 4.5 screen took some getting use to but now im after the 5.5 screen
mizzlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
This. As big as it is, after a while my HTC Desire just seem so puny. I use a BT headset when talking so I don't have the problem of holding up an almost tablet to my ear. I can see that people may think it is a bit too much, but for all functions outside a phone it is just soo much better. I usually enjoy a TED talk or two while riding the bus.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
For me, the Note is simply a very portable tablet. I can put it in my small bag along with an e-ink reader and have the best of both worlds with me at all times. A 7" tablet would be too large to do that.

I unlocked mine, and I *can* use as a phone via a T-Mobile pay per day plan, but I rarely use a cell phone period. Seriously, I probably make fewer than 20 calls per year on my Tracfone. Having the ability to download data occasionally or surf with the browser is great though. Mostly I just use on WiFi.

I'd love a Note 2, but I suspect I won't be able to get one until I can perhaps find used next fall. This one cost $225 used.

I love and need the high resolution, my eyes have trouble with low res devices. I can actually read quite comfortably on my Note for over an hour, if I use a theme with a grey background in Mantano.

I could see enjoying a larger tablet for primarily home use, but don't have one yet.

It doesn't surprise me at all that this size device is popular. I knew I wanted one when first I heard about it. Never dreamed we'd find one used at the price we did!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If this wasn't also a phone (and so horribly overpriced), I'd be very interested in this as a pockable mini-tablet. But an no-contract Note 2 in the UK costs about £480 ($770 US).
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Hopefully, they will strip these Note phones down some or add some stuff to the Galaxy Players which already sell at 5 inches and $200, but have a poorer quality screen and no stylus.

Somewhere in there is a happy medium.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote