Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #106
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I like them!!!!!!!!! Could we use them?
oh, well i'm glad ! i'm not sure whether those precise badges would be completely adapted to our needs here, since they were specifically drawn for a very different set of circumstances. however, perhaps i should mention that iconbuffet is in fact a site where you can get free, professional quality icons (thus the name...), which you may use freely wherever you want (including on this site), as long as you don't try to sell them.

the icons are released as sets with themes and are available in many different styles ; there are a lot available already, and more are released each month, and there are probably icons which could be adapted for badges here. and many of the badges in the screen caps are also available in various free sets (they are separate from the icons though, and there is no "badge" set available, as such).

you do have to register to get the icons (it's free). let me know if you're interested ; if you use my referral link, i can get more badges...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #107
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Kind of like merit badges?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #108
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm.. what are merit badges, exactly ?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #109
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hmm.. what are merit badges, exactly ?
Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts have to complete studies of various things such as knot tying and nose picking then they get a cheap, unrecognizeable as anything cloth badge to sew to their sash. They can cash them in for chocolates later. Kind of like Karma.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #110
zelda_pinwheel

ok. i would like to vote right away AGAINST anything related to nose-picking. please.
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #111
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
ok. i would like to vote right away AGAINST anything related to nose-picking. please.
There is no nose-picking badge. That was made up to show his distaste for a good system I believe, but then I could be wrong. Generally the badges are for very good skills that help children learn what they need to be better adults.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #112
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
I had (have, my mum stashed them somewhere) lots of badges from when I was in the Brownies: toymaking, reading, sewing etc. Apparently there's a 'chocolate' badge these days (boyfs ex-step-niece [long story]) was telling me about it) so we should definitely have a Chocolate Brownie badge.

Edit: Note: In UK there are very few Girl Scout groups, instead we have Girl Guides and for younger girls its Brownies (for boys it's Beavers) and for those around 5 they have Rainbows (Cubs for boys). Thought it might warrant some explanation.
There's also the Girls or Boys Brigade, but that's a whole other story.

Last edited by Mindy; 06-18-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #113
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is no nose-picking badge. That was made up to show his distaste for a good system I believe, but then I could be wrong. Generally the badges are for very good skills that help children learn what they need to be better adults.

Dale
it's ok dale, i was joking too. (i am against nose-picking though.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
I had (have, my mum stashed them somewhere) lots of badges from when I was in the Brownies: toymaking, reading, sewing etc. Apparently there's a 'chocolate' badge these days (boyfs ex-step-niece [long story]) was telling me about it) so we should definitely have a Chocolate Brownie badge.

Edit: Note: In UK there are very few Girl Scout groups, instead we have Girl Guides and for younger girls its Brownies (for boys it's Beavers) and for those around 5 they have Rainbows (Cubs for boys). Thought it might warrant some explanation.
There's also the Girls or Boys Brigade, but that's a whole other story.
i agree, we should definitely have a chocolate badge. i'm not sure what it would be for, but we should have one.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #114
pshrynk

I make fun of the Boy Scouts because my brother is an uber scout. My nephew is an Eagle Scout. Very good and upstanding young man. But they wear funny clothes.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #115
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I make fun of the Boy Scouts because my brother is an uber scout. My nephew is an Eagle Scout. Very good and upstanding young man. But they wear funny clothes.
The Army also wears funny clothes I suppose. Do you make fun of them too? As it happens I am also an Eagle Scout but I don't make fun of them as I know what it takes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #116
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Oops (struggling to help remove foot from our friend pshwynk's mouth). Have I mentioned that I wear pretty funny clothes, too? And look at that preposterous tie on this guy? Ha ha ha ha
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #117
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
i agree, we should definitely have a chocolate badge. i'm not sure what it would be for, but we should have one.

It could be shaped like a chocolate chip cookie.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #118
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It could be shaped like a chocolate chip cookie.
now i'm hungry. snack time.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #119
pshrynk

Yeah, I make fun of the Air Force, since I was a Major in the Medical Corps. I make fun of my Eagle Scout Chief Electrical Engineer nephew, especially when I pull out the picture of him wearing a complete war bonnet head dress. I especially make fun of my brother because he makes fun of me. It's all about fun.

I never say that the Scouts make you a worse person or that they have not made people better. In fact, I have not seen that they make people take themselves too seriously.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #120
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Heh, I don't want to spoil the mood, but let me quickly come back to my original thought:

Quote:
I propose: We add another award system to specifically honor members with special achievements in our community. This system would go along with Karma points and neither would affect the other.
Then someone mentioned badges, an idea which generated a lot of interest. So can I assume that badges are the way to go?...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
focking, lefty