Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #301
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yassair View Post
How can I erase them or rename, do I have to download a file explorer and be root (because I'm not)
- You need to be root. On my M96, I use Towelroot v1.
- Install ES File Explorer or a similar app.
- Mount '/' as Read/Write.
- Go to '/system/app'.
- Rename Phone.apk & TelephonyProviders.apk.
- You may subsequently get error messages like 'Messaging has stopped' etc, which can be safely ignored.

Jp
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #302
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post
Say, is anyone using the landscape mode to read PDFs in the default reader? After the latest update from Sept 26th, in landscape mode, the PDFs seem to be horribly affected by ghosting/artifacts/remnants of the previous page. Sometimes the sides of the documents are just missing/blank. The reader also seems to get stuck/non responsive. Especially when the next page contains a diagram. No problem at all in portrait mode.

I'm just warming up to the landscape mode, so can't say whether it was working fine in the earlier releases.
Anyone using the landscape mode with PDFs on M96 with the latest (or prior) release? What is your take?

EDIT: The inbuilt reader on M96 is useless for landscape, completely unresponsive for several seconds in between. As compared to Moon+ Pro & ezPDF Pro, the Mantano Free version seems to be better equipped with handling the landscape mode on my M96. However, I need to do a scroll with the stylus to reach the bottom half of the page, which causes those weird animations. Clicking on the right hand side just brings up the menu. Clicking the next/previous buttons & the D-pad skips a page altogether.

EDIT 2: ezPDF has a full screen option, but doesn't work on my M96. Open ezPDF, try from Menu, doesn't work.
The nearest I've been able to come to my requirement is this scenario using 800x1200 pixels (assuming 25 pixels lost to system bar):
- Crop the PDF margins in briss to almost the text edge.
- Use Rotation Locker to force the system orientation to landscape. (Random OnyxLauncher crashes)
- Open PDF in ezPDF (Pro).
- In settings, use Minimum Zooom to Page Height, which is ~100% (if I use Page Width then minimum zoom is ~240%, at which due to less screen real estate, each page has to be viewed in three parts)
- In settings, set action of volume button to Page Flip.
- Increase zoom to a level at which you get maximum magnification, but still are able to view the page in two parts.
-

How do you guys use landscape mode for PDFs?

Jp

Last edited by japinder; 09-30-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #303
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Is it me or the battery life is not so good after the latest upgrade ?

I mean the device is off and it consumes like 20% percent per day ?!
With all the battery and whatnot issues that I know that my device has, it didn't used to do that before ...
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #304
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post

With all the battery and whatnot issues that I know that my device has, it didn't used to do that before ...
If the device is off, it should use no power (ignoring the very slow natural discharge rate of the battery). If it's using power, it must be asleep, rather than off. I have my T68 set to turn off after 1h of inactivity, and it last for weeks between charges.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #305
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It sounds like there's a process that keeps running instead of going to sleep. You can check what processes are using the battery in the settings.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #306
anton_dys
anton_dys began at the beginning.

Device: M96M Zeus
Hyperlinks in PDF

Hello everyone!

I have an M96M Zeus (that's what the Russian edition is called) and am very much satisfied with the device - almost perfect for my travelling and other needs. The only thing I really miss in the standard PDF reader and NEO PDF reader is the support for hyperlinks inside the document! It's such a pain having to scroll through 10 pages instead of just clicking the link "see Eq.1" or "Fig. 34". And then you have to go back to where you were..

I've tried dozens third-party Android PDF readers, but most of them are either not too good for an E-ink display or have some other issues. Mantano Reader is great and it has hyperlinks support, but it doesn't have that "boldfaced text" feature so the text in PDF appears thin and hard to read.

Standard Adobe PDF reader seems to support hyperlinks but it crashes on my device when I try to launch it after installation..

So is there support for hyperlinks in the latest updates for M96? If not, is it going to be included in future updates? Oh, please, let it be included!
And is it safe to install Booxtor's updates on a Russian version of M96?
On our Russian site there were no updates since July...

Any other advice would be very much appreciated!!!
Thanks!
anton_dys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #307
japinder
jp

Talking

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If the device is off, it should use no power (ignoring the very slow natural discharge rate of the battery). If it's using power, it must be asleep, rather than off. I have my T68 set to turn off after 1h of inactivity, and it last for weeks between charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It sounds like there's a process that keeps running instead of going to sleep. You can check what processes are using the battery in the settings.
My beloved M96 doesn't have a SIM card or the ability to connect to mobile networks, however, Onyx's instructions keep asking her to keep searching for networks &/or keep the process running.

Till the update from Sept 2nd, Using a combination of:
- Mobile data off
- Airplane mode on
used to keep the battery protected from theft by Cell standby.

However, in the latest update from Sept 26th, there's one additional thing which I need to do:
- Rename (/system/app/) Phone.apk & TelephonyProviders.apk to anything but their original names

Even now, the Cell standby figures in battery usage, however, the drain due to it is gone for sure.

Your mileage may vary.

Jp
Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #308
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post
Anyone using the landscape mode with PDFs on M96 with the latest (or prior) release? What is your take?

Jp
Now that there is pdf exporting with scribblings and highlights in Neo Reader, could you try and let us know how quick is to flip through, scribble and highlight in landscape mode and save the pdf e.g. using original letter-size color pdf and then that (grayscale) pdf optimized for landscape in k2pdfopt app.

Last edited by markom; 10-02-2014 at 02:44 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #309
cmavr8
Enthusiast
cmavr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Now that there is pdf exporting with scribblings and highlights in Neo Reader, could you try and let us know how quick is to flip through, scribble and highlight in landscape mode and save the pdf e.g. using original letter-size color pdf and then that (grayscale) pdf optimized for landscape in k2pdfopt app.
Oh yes, export to PDF, I almost forgot to report my findings:
- the option is not always there. If I close and re-open a pdf, the scribble and export options may or may not be there. closing and opening again produces different results every time. For some PDFs the options are never there

- It doesn't really seem to work. Even when the option is available, and I manage to use it, I get a PDF that does NOT contain my highlights, when viewed on PC.

- Opening a highlighted PDF does not show highlights. Although the highlights are shown when the PDF is opened by Moon+ or my PC's viewer, Neo Reader does not recognize them

BTW I'm still waiting for an update from Onyx on that ticket about TS. If nothing happens I'll start the return process on monday.
cmavr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:49 AM   #310
bruja_phoenix
italian girl
bruja_phoenix began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox m96
thank you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruja_phoenix View Post
Booxtor, I very much appreciated the last update, but unfortunately the improvement I most hoped for is still there, with NeoReader.
I really hope you will solve it, cause I love NeoReader and can't use it when I need to enlarge the font size for this one reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0E...dwREqzO4F_5YxQ
thank you guys, the latest update solved this problem in Neoreader.
If you could insert in Neoreader TTS, like there is in Onyx reader, would be perfect!
bruja_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #311
cmavr8
Enthusiast

Battery from 100 to 3%, just for fun.

What looks stupid is that connecting to a computer (USB, to transfer books) for 1 minute brought battery from 100% to 65%. This happened right after disconnection.

Also, going from 50% to 3% was very abrupt. The device was used yes, but it wasn't watching videos or anything...

Otherwise, while screen is off, things look good I think

Anyway I'm not complaining yet. Once I fix my TS problem I can gain root and start analyzing battery. I think this is fixable easier than the TS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_10_03_00.27.10.png
Views:	303
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	129203   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_10_03_00.27.29.png
Views:	301
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	129204  
Old 10-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #312
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
Battery from 100 to 3%, just for fun.

What looks stupid is that connecting to a computer (USB, to transfer books) for 1 minute brought battery from 100% to 65%. This happened right after disconnection.

Also, going from 50% to 3% was very abrupt. The device was used yes, but it wasn't watching videos or anything...

Otherwise, while screen is off, things look good I think

Anyway I'm not complaining yet. Once I fix my TS problem I can gain root and start analyzing battery. I think this is fixable easier than the TS.
May I ask how are you going to fix a faulty physical battery ? (I understood you meant by software changes).
Old 10-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #313
cmavr8
Enthusiast

Quote:
May I ask how are you going to fix a faulty physical battery ? (I understood you meant by software changes).
Oh I wasn't aware that people had issues with batteries!
I thought it was just misconfiguration that caused drain (e.g. cell related apks trying to connect all the time), so I thought I could tackle that.

So.. another reason for me to return the device? But how do you check if your battery is ok? We should have a standard test, like screen on, backlight at minimum, wifi off -> lasts X hours
Old 10-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #314
dnastase
Addict

I guess one such test could be devised.

I have a theory/feeling that allmost all the issues of the device come from the faulty battery. Maybe including the touchscreen issues (where I've noticed that the touchscreen is more accurate when it's plugged in).
The battery seems to have a weird chemistry where it discharges non-linearly and I think sometimes just doesn't have enough power at all, that's when you get into the coma behaviour or the reboot loop.

While it's true the the Android core could be optimized more for the power consumption, that's just one angle.
I'm afraid the other is the faulty battery
At least I'm sure I have one, and from the data you're showing (that looks just like mine) I would say you do too (
Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #315
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
On the new firmware version (1.6.4) for the M96:

Great job with the scribbling! "Export" seems to work well (even for straight lines ) and the line width at the lowest setting is perfect. I guess the M96 is turning into the ultimate reader/writer on the market!

The last feature I think would be very useful when scribbling is to have an option to scribble without seeing the scribble bar (with eraser etc..). This was possible on the M92 and I enjoyed it a lot since I was able to use the whole surface of the screen for my scribbles.

There is also this strange bug when scribbling mode randomly switches off while you're scribbling. Maybe this happens if you try to scribble exactly at the moment when the device is processing the scribbles? Have some other users experienced that?

Last edited by por; 10-03-2014 at 07:43 AM.
por is offline   Reply With Quote