Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Need Some Help.

Not sure what I have done or even if I did something. But lately quite a few ebooks that I edit with Sigil create really odd characters. Now I understand some are soft hypens which cause this problem but the problem I am having is different.

I have an ebook in epub format which I have added to Calibre. When I bring up the ebook viewer all the text is absolutely fine. So I then open it up in Sigil (oh 2.0b3) and make my changes. Once I save it in Sigil I then have a bunch of weird characters (not the question mark) in the Calibre viewer.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if something changed with the recent Sigil updates. But this has been happening frequently since the updates. And I have no idea how to fix it. I don't even see within Sigil how I would fix it.

Any suggestions?
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

I brought this ebook that I am currently working on up in 1.9 and it does the same thing.
So its happening with all versions. But I am pretty sure that this wasn't happening a while ago. I don't think I have made any changes to anything. I don't even know what I would change to cause this.
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Read this wiki page, then create a new issue on the tracker with an attached epub.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Created an issue. I attached both before and after epubs.

Thanks.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 04-15-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I responded to your issue. You're specifying two different character sets for your XHTML files, so any application can load it in one of the two ways. Calibre loads it looking at the XML declaration, Sigil and Firefox load it looking at the meta tag.

All of the applications are correct, since you're saying both encodings apply (which is impossible).

Remove the meta tags, since your file is in UTF-8. Or at least change the meta tag to say UTF-8 too.

Last edited by Valloric; 04-16-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I responded to your issue. Your specifying two different character sets for your XHTML files, so any application can load it in one of the two ways. Calibre loads it looking at the XML declaration, Sigil and Firefox load it looking at the meta tag.

All of the applications are correct, since your saying both encodings apply (which is impossible).

Remove the meta tags, since your file is in UTF-8. Or at least change the meta tag to say UTF-8 too.
Ok I am following what you are saying but definitely not understanding it.

How do I specify only one character set for my XHTML files by default on my computer? Obviously I don't want two lol since its causing me this problem. I am unsure how this problem even happened. Since I don't know anything about character sets. How could I of possible of changed them. But obviously I did since I wasn't always having this problem.

I don't know how to remove the meta tags much less change the meta tag to say UTF-8. But if I did doesn't that mean I have to go through all 300+ of my epubs and do this? And then do I have to do this for each epub I buy?

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 04-16-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I just want my files to open up in both Calibre and Sigil the same way. I guess UTF-8? Really I have no idea regarding character sets. How can I have these files do that without messing with the meta tag and the character sets each time?
You will have to mess with the meta tags, since there's no other way to fix this problem other than by hand.

Extract the epub file with a ZIP unarchiver, open each XHTML file and delete the meta tag. Then zip everything back up and open it in Sigil, then resave.

Done.

Shouldn't take you more than a minute.

There's nothing I or anyone else can do, the epub files are faulty. If you bought them from a store, feel free to complain to them about the quality of their files.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Valloric

Quote:
How do I specify only one character set for my XHTML files by default on my computer?
That makes no sense and is not possible.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
That makes no sense and is not possible.
Didn't realize that.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:

There's nothing I or anyone else can do, the epub files are faulty. If you bought them from a store, feel free to complain to them about the quality of their files.
Ok I thought since it was happening so frequently lately that it was a difference in setting between Calibre and Sigil. I never would of thought it was faulty epub files.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
You will have to mess with the meta tags, since there's no other way to fix this problem other than by hand.

Extract the epub file with a ZIP unarchiver, open each XHTML file and delete the meta tag. Then zip everything back up and open it in Sigil, then resave.

Done.

Shouldn't take you more than a minute.
Ok so I extracted the epub. Then removed the file in the meta folder. Then archived it as a zip file. Tried to open it with Sigil. In the main window the only thing that showed up was the letters PK. It obviously didn't load. But then I opened Calibre and imported the zip file. And it opened up in the Calibre viewer just fine. So it did work. Just couldn't get it to open in Sigil.

I will keep messing around with it to see if I can get it to open with Sigil.

Thanks for the information and help.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
Valloric

Quote:
Ok so I extracted the epub. Then removed the file in the meta folder. Then archived it as a zip file. Tried to open it with Sigil. In the main window the only thing that showed up was the letters PK. It obviously didn't load. But then I opened Calibre and imported the zip file. And it opened up in the Calibre viewer just fine. So it did work. Just couldn't get it to open in Sigil.

I will keep messing around with it to see if I can get it to open with Sigil.

Thanks for the information and help.
You have to change the extension back to epub before opening it in Sigil.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Quote:
You have to change the extension back to epub before opening it in Sigil.
LOL Doh!