Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
exo
exo began at the beginning.

Device: none
do ebook readers have this feature?

bookmarks

able to highlight

able to add own text in margin/or on same page
exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, exo.

Here is our eboook reader matrix page, allowing you to compare different devices and their specs.....

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Some readers have all of these features; the ones that I know of (there may be others as well) are: The Sony prs-600, sony prs-900, amazon kindle (but the text can only be added with the attached keyboard and not in your own handwriting with a stylus, as far as I know; I'm not sure how the bookmarking works on them); I believe that all of the irex models have this ability as well, but I'd have to check to make sure. I THINK the Nook and the i-river have these functions as well, but again I am not sure and they don't have stylus writing ability.

Hope this helps, for more information on specific readers you can check out the wiki pages (the link is at the top of the page) and looking under dedicated e-book devices.

Cheers!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
exo

do i have to stick to a specific file format to have these features?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
nope

Nope it is not related to the file format, rather it is based on what the ereaders abilities are.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
exo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Nope it is not related to the file format, rather it is based on what the ereaders abilities are.

Amy
would i lose my customizations in my ebooks if i move the files between devices?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Maybe.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
exo

bump!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
depends

If its a bookmark it would not transfer over. If you actually edited the file its self that would transfer between the ebook readers, but that would have to be done on your computer, not the ebook reader. An ebook reader just reads the file its self.

Does that make sense?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post

Amy
That is not entirely correct. Eg, the iRex devices permit you to annotate PDF files, but not Mobipocket.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
would i lose my customizations in my ebooks if i move the files between devices?
Between devices of different makes, yes, you would.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
bump!
How about:

Hello
Please
Thank you

Have a nice day!
Florence
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Between devices of different makes, yes, you would.
Not universally true. Any two proper Mobipocket installations allow you to copy the .mbp file over with the .prc/.mobi file. That preserves the bookmarks, annotations, highlights, etc. I don't know if Kindle honors these, though. PC to PDA does, though.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
exo

I do not have a ebook reader yet, is there any software solution for the computer where i can add notes/highlight/bookmarks etc for ebooks?

I am using ubuntu linux.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
exo

then what is the best ebook format (with respect to the question in the first post?)

I have a couple of epub ebooks but I can switch formats if it is inferior