Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
taspool
taspool began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Cybook with Calibre, minor problems

(cross posted with Calibre forum, not sure which was most appropriate)
I have changed from using Mobipocket software to Calibre for my recently acquired Cybook. I love Calibre, the look and feel is professional and the degree of user control over functions is fantastic.

A couple of issues have arisen for me, which may well be my own inexperience;

1. When importing or replacing the cover image in Calibre, this works fine as far as then reading the book in Cybook (the cover image comes up full screen if I've imported an 800x600 image) but no matter what size jpg I start with, the thumbnail picture in the Cybook library does not take up the full thumbnail space in the books listing, instead the cover image is a tiny picture in the centre with a large white margin around it. Other books, such as purchased prc files, have "full size" thumbnails. What can I do to get "full size" thumbnails from Calibre?

2. I'm one of those who'd like the maximum amount of the cybook screen filled with text to minimise page turning. Is there any way of formatting the conversion or send-to-device process in Calibre so that the header is not shown and instead used by text, or so that side margin white space can be reduced? Simply turning off "show header" in the cybook just leaves blank space at the top.

Thanks for any help!
taspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I do not use Calibre for my Mobipocket files, but Mobipocket Creator instead, so can not help you with (1).

Concerning question (2), no, the margins in the Cybook can not be changed, at least up to the last firmware.

Good reading,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
taspool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

I do not use Calibre for my Mobipocket files, but Mobipocket Creator instead, so can not help you with (1).

Concerning question (2), no, the margins in the Cybook can not be changed, at least up to the last firmware.

Good reading,
Okay, thanks for the response. As to margins, I see from the forum that a new firmware version is pending, so hopefully that is one of the issues to be addressed. Also more flexible folders and sort by author would be nice.

If anyone else on the forum has calibre working with cybook and has thumbnails correctly sized, I'd be pleased to hear how you do it.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Hmm... as far as I know, thumbnails are generated by the Cybook[*], they are the .t2b files you can find next to the ebooks. Try deleting the .t2b files, the Cybook will generate them again, see if they are correctly maximised.

[*] Mobipocket files have "thumbnails", but the Cybook does not used them (or didn't with the last firmware I tried).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
taspool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Hmm... as far as I know, thumbnails are generated by the Cybook[*], they are the .t2b files you can find next to the ebooks. Try deleting the .t2b files, the Cybook will generate them again, see if they are correctly maximised.[*] Mobipocket files have "thumbnails", but the Cybook does not used them (or didn't with the last firmware I tried).
Jellby, you are a hero. Deleting the t2b files did indeed fix the problem, all thumbnails regenerated at the right size.

Thanks very much! If you get near Sydney, I owe you a beer or seven.
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taspool View Post
Thanks very much! If you get near Sydney, I owe you a beer or seven.
Hmm... If you get me a ticket to Sydney I'll get you the beer(s)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Calibre auto generates the t2b files. It's a feature because say you put 1,000 book on in one go, well, the Cybook is a bit slow and it takes some time to generate all those thumbnails. The size issue for Calibre generated thumbnail is a known problem. I just haven't gotten around to sorting it out yet.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fix has been committed to trunk. Will appear in the next release (after 0.4.139)
Old 02-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hey, user_none...I've seen this on Mobileread a few times - "committed to trunk". Would you mind sharing a definition of what that means? At first I thought it meant you knew what it would take to fix the problem and were promising to do so, but then I thought, since you already can say it will be in the next release, maybe it means you're already done...?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
user_none

In a nutshell what happens is: I make a change (fix a bug, add a feature) and commit it to my branch (You can see all branches here.). If Kovid approves of it and feels it's ready he will then import my changes to trunk (You can follow the progress here). Periodically Kovid will take trunk and release it as a new version (this happens when there are enough changes or a critical fix to warrant a new version). Anything in trunk will appear in the next release.

Branches are trunk at some point in time (branches can track changes in trunk though time) plus any changes the branch owner has made. They are a way to make upcoming features that are incomplete, need testing, or could take awhile to develop without slowing down releases with other finished features.

When commenting on fixes in the forums or in bugs I like to state what release the fix will be appearing in because of how often Kovid makes them. Also, so anyone searching for a particular bug can see what version it was fixed in here or in on the bug tracker without having to look though the changes made to trunk.

When you see committed to trunk it means that the issue has been fixed, it has been included in the mainline code and will be in the next release.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the explanation! And now I also see it's like tree - "branch" and "trunk" - and not like a container - "suitcase" or "trunk".

I learn so much here!
Old 02-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Thanks for the explanation! And now I also see it's like tree - "branch" and "trunk" - and not like a container - "suitcase" or "trunk".
User none gave you the technical answer. But, for those that don't follow...

There is basically a place where all the source code for the program is stored. This is known as a source control or version control system. It keeps track of all the changes that developers make to the program.

There can be divisions or separate areas (folders if you will)... actually they ARE like containers. Trunk is the "container" or "folder" in the source control where the approved code is kept. This is where the program is built from.

HTH too... I hope user none isn't upset that I added to his explanation.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-21-2009 at 07:11 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob
HTH too... I hope user none isn't upset that I added to his explanation.
No worries. I rewrote my explanation three times trying to tone down the technicalness. I appreciate adding to it so everyone can follow.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There can be divisions or separate areas (folders if you will)... actually they ARE like containers. Trunk is the "container" or "folder" in the source control where the approved code is kept.
Aieeee. My head is spinning!

Thanks, Bob!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Aieeee. My head is spinning!

Thanks, Bob!
Is that all !

Mine span off, and a certain Aussie has a spinner permanently attached to his headgear ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote