Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
Josephine Tey

Great editions of her wonderful crime stories at the University of Adelaide ebook site:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/t/tey/josephine/
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Thanks, that's a very nicely done webpage. Her Alan Grant mystery books are wonderful, it's a shame she didn't write more books.

Note: her books are only in the public domain in life+50 countries.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Note: her books are only in the public domain in life+50 countries.
They're all available as good-quality commercial eBooks for the rest of us (I have them). Well worth buying.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They're all available as good-quality commercial eBooks for the rest of us (I have them). Well worth buying.
Not in the US as far as I can tell.

Amazon.com shows three ebooks for her and two of those are the same title. They're all published via KDP and not a regular publisher so I wonder if they're legit, or are a couple of her titles PD in the US maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/A-Shilling-for...=Josephine+Tey
http://www.amazon.com/A-Shilling-for...7634009&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Brat-Farrar-eb...7634009&sr=1-3
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not in the US as far as I can tell.
OK, sorry about the false information. They are all available in the UK. Probably the usual situation of different US and UK publishers.
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
Great editions of her wonderful crime stories at the University of Adelaide ebook site:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/t/tey/josephine/
Most of them are available on the MR library, including The Daughter of Time.

I wonder what the copyright situation might be - is Australia a Life+50 country?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Australia is not a life+50 country now, but these books are in the Australian public domain, because they entered it when Australia was life+50.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
From memory, it's life + 50 for authors who died before 1954 or so, then life + 70 thereafter. Whatever the year is, Josephine Tey just squeezes into the life + 50 for us.

I am a big fan of hers - her early death was a sad loss.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for posting this, Pstjmack. I can't download Josephine Tey because where I live it's Life + 70, but the site seems to have a good collection of older titles. I'll enjoy perusing it.

For those of you who are new to Josephine Tey, I'd recommend you start with The Franchise Affair. I've read several of her books, but that's easily the best (in my opinion).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I believe the UK's National Trust inherited her literary estate.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks for posting this, Pstjmack. I can't download Josephine Tey because where I live it's Life + 70, but the site seems to have a good collection of older titles. I'll enjoy perusing it.

For those of you who are new to Josephine Tey, I'd recommend you start with The Franchise Affair. I've read several of her books, but that's easily the best (in my opinion).

Mike
The Franchise Affair is also in the MR library. Inspector Grant only does a walk on appearance, so I'm not sure that it's typical of her work. For what it is worth I think The Daughter of Time is her best, though I accept that it's not typical either since it's a historical mystery.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My favourite is Brat Farrar. I reread it every now and again for the sheer enjoyment of it.

And I do love The Daughter of Time because I'm a passionate supporter of Richard III and I think it's a brilliant way of getting people to realise that what we think is historical truth isn't necessarily so at all.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
My favourite is Brat Farrar. I reread it every now and again for the sheer enjoyment of it.

And I do love The Daughter of Time because I'm a passionate supporter of Richard III and I think it's a brilliant way of getting people to realise that what we think is historical truth isn't necessarily so at all.
Have you read The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman? She's another supporter of Richard III, though she thinks the princes did die before Richard's death at the hands of Buckingham. I've got the ebook, but am saving it up for a long flight that my wife and I will be taking next month.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #14
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

No I haven't, so thanks for the tip. I'll add it to the hint list.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post

Jo Walton says her alternate history/mystery Farthing was inspired by Brat Farrar.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2010/09/a-p...ys-brat-farrar
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote