Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Biting the bullet: Rooting the nook

So here's my query: there isn't much I don't like about my nook simple touch. I could do without the B&N marketing on the Home screen but really it is fine the way it is.

But what I really want is to connect to my home server via wifi and download from my calibre library. I'm guessing rooting it is the only way to do that and I don't know if even that will work. Supposing it did though, what would I lose in terms of existing functionality/readability by not using the native B&N firmware? I couldn't care less about being able to connect to the B&N server. But most other things I want to keep.

Would the fonts work the same? The resizing? the search features? The dictionary? Note taking?

Inquiring minds...yada.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 03-10-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
I want to bump this question. I just went to the trouble of rooting my NST and really didn't like it. The wireless seemed to be constantly on and the whole thing seemed slow. I tried an alternative reader - coolreader - which is quite nice on my tablet but seemed totally clunky on my NST. So clunky, in fact, that I've already restored the original software (thank goodness I backed up)!

All I really want to do is hook up wirelessly with my Calibre library as I did through Trook on my Nook classic. I don't want to browse, read e-mail, watch videos, or play games. All I want to do is read - which it already does quite well - and access Calibre. Isn't there a simple way to do this?
bearymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Can't say for sure about the ST, but it isn't possible to do this with the NC. Calibre works great via USB, but not wifi.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
Can't say for sure about the ST, but it isn't possible to do this with the NC. Calibre works great via USB, but not wifi.
Same with the ST.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
I want to bump this question. I just went to the trouble of rooting my NST and really didn't like it. The wireless seemed to be constantly on and the whole thing seemed slow. I tried an alternative reader - coolreader - which is quite nice on my tablet but seemed totally clunky on my NST. So clunky, in fact, that I've already restored the original software (thank goodness I backed up)!

All I really want to do is hook up wirelessly with my Calibre library as I did through Trook on my Nook classic. I don't want to browse, read e-mail, watch videos, or play games. All I want to do is read - which it already does quite well - and access Calibre. Isn't there a simple way to do this?
What about using Calibre as a web server and then accessing your books using a browser on a rooted NST?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
bearymore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
What about using Calibre as a web server and then accessing your books using a browser on a rooted NST?
That's what I tried when rooted. It worked, but then I have all the overhead of being rooted which seems to keep my wifi on constantly, thereby running down the battery faster than otherwise. If there were a way to be rooted with only a browser which downloads to the myfiles directory and doesn't peg my wifi, then I'd do it. As it is, the browser downloads to the download directory which the nook library software doesn't see so I have to add a file manager to move things around which kind of defeats the purpose.