Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
sorting & filtering?

Hi

I have again some questions about sorting (and how to best set up my library).
Let's say that I have a story "Moon" in several collections.

*How can I find only collections with that story, but not "Moon Maid", "Moon & the Cow" etc?
*How can I find only stories with same name, but different authors?

Pasting toc of the collection/anthology into comments field should help with first, but it won't filter out all the other moons.

*What if collection has 3 stories belonging to 3 different series? (For a while I wanted to make empty books for the stories, but now when I think more then if I search series name, collection should come out if that name is in comments. It just won't be in right place in the series.)

I played with an idea to use color for some things, like for example if series has novels+shorts (so I know that not all are grouped together when I click series column). Can I do it somehow without adding special tag to whole series?
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Hi

I have again some questions about sorting (and how to best set up my library).
Let's say that I have a story "Moon" in several collections.

*How can I find only collections with that story, but not "Moon Maid", "Moon & the Cow" etc?
I use the method you referred to:"Pasting toc of the collection/anthology into comments field", but I use special formatting for the comments when I think I might want to search it.
This search will find all those books:
Code:
comments:moon
That's my quick and dirty search. To find only books that have a story titled "Moon" I'd use this search in my library:
Code:
comments:"title:'moon'" or comments:"story:'Moon'"
I might also use this:
Code:
(author:"Various Authors" or tag:multibook or tag:anthology") comments:"title:'moon'"
My multiple books/anthologies, magazines, etc.are tagged as above and titles of stories/books are in comments in this form:
title:'Moon' for multibooks
or
story:'Moon Maid' for anthologies

Quote:
*How can I find only stories with same name, but different authors?
If you search on the above, you get all authors. Isn't that what you want?

Quote:
Pasting toc of the collection/anthology into comments field should help with first, but it won't filter out all the other moons.
I'm not 100% clear on what "filter out all the other moons" means, but if you are worried about comments using the word "moon" for non-story titles, I use the tags above for anthologies and multibooks and title: or story: with single quotes for title names as above.
You could also consider using a custom column (tag-like) for contained story titles.
Quote:
*What if collection has 3 stories belonging to 3 different series? (For a while I wanted to make empty books for the stories, but now when I think more then if I search series name, collection should come out if that name is in comments. It just won't be in right place in the series.)
I'd use "series:'series_name'" in the comments and search there.

Basically, I just use comments like a grab bag to store things I might want to search for later. The name of the "thing" is followed by a colon, like "title:" or "pseudonym:" or "illustrator:" or "editor:" or "story:" and the content of the thing is inside single quotes. Then I can search for the "thing" and its contents, with exact matching, if necessary.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Thank you.

I'm still a bit confused. If an anthology has story "Prisons" by Kevin J. Anderson and Doug Beason, must I enter it in comments as

story:'Prisons' - Kevin J. Anderson & Doug Beason ?

I would prefer minimal changes to pasted toc, putting quotes around every story in every anthology and collection is quite a lot of work.
As of now I have entered them like that (in omnibus):

StoryTitle - Author (year)

or in collection:
StoryTitle (year) var awards (or aw or Hugo or Nebula)

It makes for nice-looking toc in comments.

"filter out all the other moons" means that if I search for Moon I do not want to find Moon Maid. (And vice versa). What should I change to achieve it? If possible, I'd like to avoid adding quote marks.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote